Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-10-11, 09:36 PM   #1
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Plastics repair...

Hey Guys, have a question. I tore up a couple of flukes and lizards today, and was wondering how to fix them? I think I remember hearing about using a soldering iron to melt them back together, but will super glue work as well? Don't mind the soldering iron theory, just don't want to stink up the house.

Dave-0
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 09:42 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Soldering iron works, as does super glue. There's a particular glue called "Mend It" that was developed specifically for this purpose, though. Migration want to look around for that first.
Old 07-10-11, 11:22 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I personally haven't used anything to repair soft plastics. I should start though, I am throwing away a lot of money in torn up baits. From what I hear from people who use it, Mend It is hard to beat.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 01:03 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Soldering iron works, as does super glue. There's a particular glue called "Mend It" that was developed specifically for this purpose, though. Migration want to look around for that first.
Agreed. Mend it is great stuff, and I really need to get some more, lol. Super glue does work though.

One more thing you can do with mend it or a soldering iron is make hybrid baits. Sky is the limit, and some times they really catch fish! You'll be a natural frankenstein before long!
Old 07-11-11, 07:44 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Go to Home Depot and for $15, get one of these. Glue dries out, especially when you need it most, and can be messy - DON'T get any on your fingers or on the boat carpet. This handy little tool goes in the boat, tackle bag or can stay at home if you prefer doing your repair after you're done fishing.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 07:48 AM   #6
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've found the soldering iron to be the best of all choices for me personally. I can repair a lot of baits for the 5 dollar cost at Wal Mart Automotive. The iron doesn't dry out in the tube, seals well and once used is easy to do and get very good results. As stinkinig up the house is concerned, I do mine in the garage in front of an exhaust fan in the garage window. Best not to breathe any fumes. I plug the iron and fan into a plug strip and use the strip switch......that way when the fan is on it serves as a reminder the iron is on as well. The fan is a simple box fan.

Tips: wrap the iron tip with a copper wire three times and clip so you still have about 3/4 inch protruding off the end......great for hook holes and tears. Simply pass the wire through when pinching the hole or tear shut.

For hands free welding of parts together a medium sized tin can with notches in the top rim makes a cradle to hold the iron in use. A couple of stones in the can for weight or some dry sand is a good place to put the tip in as the iron cools when done.

When putting parts together, use the fatter barrel rather than the tip sides for melting two surfaces simultaneously to be joined. When joined, a weld usually makes a little bulge at the joint.....easy to remove the bulge by holding the lure with both hands between finger and thumbs and rotate on top of the barrell.

When the wire is not needed, just slip it off and keep it in the can, as the original tip is good for certain applications as well.
Old 07-11-11, 09:05 AM   #7
IowaBasser

"PRO’s Soft~Bait Glue" is reviewed here: 5 Fishing Products You Might Not Know About… But Should

Here is a similar thread with some good info
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 09:59 AM   #8
Donutman
BassFishin.Com Member

Man. Awesome info! Thanks for all the great knowledge. It's not that I can't replace the torn up stuff, I just think you should be able to catch more than 1 fish on a plastic, which I'm new to. I'm using 3/0 EWG's on most of them. One fish, baits all ripped up, don't think so. And actually, now that I think about it, they are all damaged where the hook eye is.
Anyways, thanks again for the great info.

Dave-0
Donutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 01:56 PM   #9
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutman View Post
...It's not that I can't replace the torn up stuff, I just think you should be able to catch more than 1 fish on a plastic...
For me, it's not a matter of replacement - and it's not really a matter of saving money either. I like to repair my soft platics because I'm afraid of running out of a hot bait while on the water.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 02:05 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Seems to be a lot of work for the cheaper variety of baits to worry about soldering or glueing. I love Mend It, but I don't think it would be real cost effective to try to salvage a 35 cent bait. I do use them on the more expensive soft plastic swimbaits and original Senkos however.

But, if your wanting to for sure save them, Mend It is the best stuff I've used and not messy like a lot of glues.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 03:58 PM   #11
3dkicker

Sold Mend-It myself last year. Company had an issue with the "glue" reacting with the plastic bottles and the "glue" getting hard after 6-8 months. They've changed to glass containers to stop the problem. Anyone who had an issue can return the old bottles for replacement. Spoke with the owner, who's an excellent person to work with, and he said they had to pull a lot of product and replace a lot too.
Very good stuff. Mended many lures and saved a lot of $$ by fixing baits on the boat. I'd pull the bait off, Mend-It, and let it set (about 10 minutes) while fishing with another bait. Once the second bait got torn up I'd switch. Could go all day with just two baits. Big thing is it doesn't stick to fingers or carpet....just baits.
I've got to say that PRO's is good stuff too.
Old 07-12-11, 10:43 PM   #12
boloson

i actually just posted this on another thread. i use the berkely hot wire cutter. it works the same way as a soldering iron but with a very small tip that can get in between tight spaces. it works awesome. just repaired a bunch of zoom horny toads today.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:09 AM   #13
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with yall it a good idea to repair them. But I'm just not that way. I throw them away when they tear because I like to keep my plastics fresh. I have a special compartment for all the ripped ones and just throw them away when I get home. Some of them live to see another day but mostly toss em. Also, I keep all mine in the original bags they come in and them bags gets all nasty after a few years. I have some bags that are pretty old I cant wait until they are done. Don't ask me why but I like buying new plastics. Just personal preference I guess.

Last edited by FishinFreak; 07-13-11 at 02:15 AM.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 01:20 PM   #14
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
I agree with yall it a good idea to repair them. But I'm just not that way. I throw them away when they tear because I like to keep my plastics fresh. I have a special compartment for all the ripped ones and just throw them away when I get home. Some of them live to see another day but mostly toss em. Also, I keep all mine in the original bags they come in and them bags gets all nasty after a few years. I have some bags that are pretty old I cant wait until they are done. Don't ask me why but I like buying new plastics. Just personal preference I guess.

You're not alone. Got a tournament partner who's the same way. He gives me all his left overs after a day of fishing. 10 minutes later I have a bag or two of baits. Does he catch more fish with new baits vs me with his old baits? Nope. Do I save $ on plastics? Yep
Old 07-18-11, 11:13 PM   #15
WatterBoy

I'm a big fan of the soldering iron also. The Yamamoto senkos seem to catch the most fish for me, but they fall apart easily. I don't find any drop-off in the catch rate with repaired ones. And some of them get repaired multiple times and still work. I grab a couple of cutting boards and cookie sheets from the kitchen, flip them upside down and use those to spread everything out for repair and for cooling after they're fixed. I do it outside on the deck or patio so stinking up the place and ventilation aren't a problem.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.