Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-28-13, 09:16 AM   #26
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Have you seen the guy doing the reports on what he calls the 5 year challenge with the PQ? He has several and periodically reports on their status as far as breakdowns and what he has had to replace /repair. From what I can remember they have been holding up well for him. Performance is subjective.

The statement I was responding to stressed the performance of his $70 reels being everything we should need in our fishing. I'm adding a criteria I felt was left out of his statement.

I have read the posts you refer to and his results show favorably toward the BPS reel. All of my current reels are older than 5 years and I'm looking forward to fishing with them for many years to come. My reference in beginning this thread was MAYBE replacing a reel I've been fishing with for 20 years. It's design doesn't control baits quite as light as I'd dream for, but that dream may not be realistic and I may continue to fish my current reels. (Two of my reels do an extremely nice job with very light weights.) I enjoy reading equipment reviews whether or not I'm interested in the product.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 10:39 AM   #27
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
The statement I was responding to stressed the performance of his $70 reels being everything we should need in our fishing. I'm adding a criteria I felt was left out of his statement.

I have read the posts you refer to and his results show favorably toward the BPS reel. All of my current reels are older than 5 years and I'm looking forward to fishing with them for many years to come. My reference in beginning this thread was MAYBE replacing a reel I've been fishing with for 20 years. It's design doesn't control baits quite as light as I'd dream for, but that dream may not be realistic and I may continue to fish my current reels. (Two of my reels do an extremely nice job with very light weights.) I enjoy reading equipment reviews whether or not I'm interested in the product.

oe
I also enjoy reviews that are done well. I am not a fan of reading the reviews that say, " First time I used the reel I was able the catch 6 big fish, best reel ever" those offer nothing.

I have thought often about a website that had pictures of reels from a mfg. then listed all of the details about the reel, like weight, IPT, etc. and then had a review section where the members could leave comments about the reel, in several defined areas. This site would also have a few forums, a for sale section, that I have a set of unique rules for, and a general talk section much like here. The last would be a section for schematics, where users could upload schematics for any reel.

The information is easy enough to get, and I think a site like that would catch on, it just takes more time to get it going that I have. I continue to use Tackle Tour to provide most of the solid review information that I read, wired2fish is also not bad.
Old 12-28-13, 11:22 AM   #28
OkobojiEagle

Tavery5... I like your site idea! WHEN you put it together I want to be one of the first members.

The reviews that tickle me the most are those that start out... "I just bought this new reel and it's the greatest because..." or I just received this new reel yesterday and it's better than..." We all have our "pet peeves".

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 12:10 AM   #29
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Hey BBD, just curious, do you have a favorite rod(s) you pair this reel with?

I have a few skeet reese rods, a few vendettas, a few BPS carbonlights, and a BPS tournament edition spinning rod. They all serve me fine. I try to find the sales on rods. I really like the carbonlight rods by BPS, though.

EDIT: I am not knocking anybody for buying expensive reels. It all comes down to your personal preferences.

Last edited by BBD; 12-29-13 at 01:17 AM.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 09:04 PM   #30
fish4942

Get 2 Bass Pro Shops Pro Qulifiers in 7.1 and 6.4.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 11:29 PM   #31
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Since most of my reels are client reels and are spinning reels my reviews may vary. I do have several baitcasters that I use..
Lews: where good but broke often
Shimmano's: Bantams to Trinidad I have owned.. all good but did not last past 5 years
BPS: reels have done well the first year but failed the second year
ABU: round reels have lasted many years but the Black Max was the worst..I still have 8 ABU reels from Revo to Orca. Really like the Record the most.

So after 30 years of fishing I would say the ABU reels are the toughest but not always the best choice.. It all comes down to what feels right to you..

Capt Mike
Old 01-06-14, 12:13 AM   #32
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
I really like the carbonlight rods by BPS, though.
Me too, I have three of them. Two bait caster (my worm rod and my flipping rod) and one spinning.

Have 4 of the PQ reels also. a 7.1, two 6.4's and a 4.8. I don't think you can beat them for the money.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.