Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-04, 11:56 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default skipping with a baitcaster

How do you do it? I can do it with a spinning reel fine, but whenever I do it with a baitcaster it gets a birds nest. What am I doing wrong?
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 12:29 AM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: skipping with a baitcaster

Skipping with a baitcaster is difficult, I would even go so far as to say that most people can't do it on a consistant basis. So to answer your question, you aren't really doing much wrong, just maybe not quite getting the angle shallow enough or coordinating the thumb with the first bounce quite right. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't do it, I can't skip with a baitcaster well enough to feel very comfortable with it either.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 12:43 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

For me that would be a recipe for a backlash. I have a MH action 6' spinning rod that I can skip with, but I still foul it up at times.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 05:00 AM   #4
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Nobody on this earth is effective everytime while skipping with a baitcaster. It is a technique that is best suited for spinning gear. It can be done, just very difficult to do without backlashing. Get a good spinning outfit, and go with it.
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 10:03 AM   #5
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

POPR,

The best thing I have found for skipping is just a plain ol' Zebco 33 on a 5 1/2 ft pistol grip rod.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:08 AM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Dion Hibdon is the only person I've ever heard even claim he can skip with a casting reel. Â*And he said it took YEARS of practice. Â*I wouldn't even try it.

Jack's right about the Zebco 33. Great for skipping tubes and stuff under docks.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:40 AM   #7
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess I should just use my spinning reel for it. I was just wonderring cause my friend can do it not get a birds nest but when I tried to it was birds nest after birds nest.
Old 08-13-04, 12:34 PM   #8
szimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to szimmerman

What is skipping with a baitcaster?

Never heard of it :P

I just checked Bassdozer.com for some articles on it, I found nothing.
szimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 12:41 PM   #9
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=StetsD link=board=news;num=1092365813;start=0#7 date=08/13/04 at 11:34:19]What is skipping with a baitcaster?[/quote]

Skipping is done when you want to get baits under docks, or structure of that nature, and don't want to make much noise. The bait "skips" on top of the water before it actually sinks. It is mainly done with soft plastics.

At least that is what I was told skipping is.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 12:52 PM   #10
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

yep, thas what it is.
Old 08-13-04, 01:11 PM   #11
bassguy2004

Zooker gave me a heads up on a video done by Kevin Van Dam. Its called "Pitchin to Heavy Hitters" it's available through BPS. Van Dam skips the heck out of a tube in this video with a bait caster. He tells you how to set up your reel to do it.
Old 08-15-04, 10:18 AM   #12
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

I set the mags to full, turn the adjustment knob two cranks up freom where it would normally be, and kinda sidearm/roll it, hard to explain, but it works. I definitely wouldn't clasim to do it well, just acceptably. (is that a word? ;D)
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 10:27 AM   #13
ready2go
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ready2go

I agree with what flbassman...I cranked things down to keep from getting a backlash at first...I have gotten fairly good at it now...of course this is after 10 years or so of practicing and worldclass backlashes...the key for me is accuracy (hitting when and where I want it to) and thumb control...I am not even aware of what I do now with a baitcaster...I think most of you that have used a baitcaster for a while would say that you aren't totally aware most of the time of the control you use when casting...just seems natural. I know this is a tired phrase but the key to casting and different techiques is practice on the water...a lot of it...oh and patience...lots of that too! ;D
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:01 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I can skip with a baitcaster with no problems. If I can, most anyone can unless you mentally limit your capabilities.The problem you have can easily be limited by reducing the amount of line you spool on the reel.The second part is to get a 5'6" MH rod for skipping and do not load the rod tip with the lure to skip like you do with a spinning rod.I use a underhand pitch that puts the lure close to the water on the release.If you want to skip it way under give your self some room between the you and the dock where if you load the rodtip the spool has a chance to be up to speed before the lure hits the water surface and skips under the dock.If your backlashing alot the spool isn't up to speed before the lure hits the water creating the backlash.I hope this helps. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 06:00 PM   #15
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

the whole trick is in the release. i use a loop cast low along the water. 3-4 inches above the surface. i normally just use a spinning rod ...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 10:07 PM   #16
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
I think most of you that have used a baitcaster for a while would say that you aren't totally aware most of the time of the control you use when casting...just seems natural
Never really thought about it before, but I think you are right, Ranger-it has become automatic.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.