Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-12, 04:15 PM   #1
2001kx
BassFishin.Com Member

Default hook set on senko

i have been fishing the last couple nights on the river and have had a ton of fish on but just as i get them to the boat they get off...
im using a wacky rigged senko with a 2/0 weedless hook.
i dont know if im doing something wrong on the hook set?
any advise...my son thought it was the weedless hook so he tried without it and had the same result.
my ratio right now if i had 10 fish on i would lose 6 of them.

also any tips on getting the hook out when they swallow it..should i just cut the line or get the hook out?
2001kx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 04:50 PM   #2
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As far as hookset goes, I fish my senkos wacky and weightless texas rigged on a Gamakatsu EWG hook so when I either feel the weight of the fish, see the line moving, or the bait just doesn't feel right I do a quick pull hook set. I don't set the hook like I'm trying to go through a log and 50% of the time by the time I reel in the slack to set the hook the fish hooks itself with its own weight. I hook up the same #s of fish then I did with dedicated wacky hooks and I can switch back and forth with ease which comes in handy fishing from shore and not having to retie all the time.

Now when it comes to gut-hooked fish, more and more people are doing away with just cutting the line and letting the fish go. Today's hooks are designed not to rust so the old adage "It will rust away in a week" goes right out the door. I have used the same technique on http://www.electric-bass.org/throughTheGill.htm webpage religiously for the past 5 years of fishing and 99% of the fish I gut-hook swim right off with minimal to no bleeding. The key is to go through the very last opening of their gills and not to go in between gills as if you nick one of them that pretty much is it for the fish. The very rare fish that I gut-hook and can't get to swim off I either give to someone on the shore fishing who takes them out or I find the big *** snapping turtles that live in the pond and they make quick work of it.

Senko fishing is my all time favorite technique and towards the end of summer I enjoy being able to go out to the pond with just one single rod, a pack of extra hooks, a set of pliers and a scale, and 2 packages of Senkos and thats all I need. Good luck and I hope the website I linked helps you.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 05:55 PM   #3
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for that website, my fishing buddy(14 years old) is just learning and he lets them take the worm forever. He is getting better but now I have a better way to unhook them and release them. Thanks
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 05:59 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Panthrosan has it right.
Here's another idea from tourny guys and a fish dieing can be costly to them!

http://issuu.com/lsoneditor/docs/mar...owFlipBtn=true

The things hard to get to but if you go to bottom of link page it lists the pages and you can choose pages and they then appear. Be sure to go to page 14-15 because that's where most of the info is.
I've seen it done but the fish they released forgot to stay in touch and let me know if it's still doing well.

Last edited by joedog; 07-10-12 at 06:04 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 06:56 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Sharp hooks and no slack during the fight?
Sometimes a bass wants your worm so bad that he's never really hooked at all...just holding the worm real hard in his mouth. At 6/10 I doubt that's whats happening, but it's possible.
Either the through the gills deal or barbless or a hair trigger hookset should minimze killed fish.
Old 07-10-12, 09:21 PM   #6
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
http://issuu.com/lsoneditor/docs/mar...owFlipBtn=true

The things hard to get to but if you go to bottom of link page it lists the pages and you can choose pages and they then appear. Be sure to go to page 14-15 because that's where most of the info is.
I've seen it done but the fish they released forgot to stay in touch and let me know if it's still doing well.
I can't get to that link at all.
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 09:25 PM   #7
skeeter1804

I use the weighted wacky rig hooks and so far rarely have one come off.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 10:50 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Circle hooks!

Let em take em for a while, and just pull back. The hook will set its self, right in the corner of the mouth, 90% of the time. No gut hooked fish, very few lost fish. The only problem is that if you're using a weedless circle hook with a weed guard you need to have a very soft weed guard, which can be hard to find with a circle hook.

If you want to stick with what you're doing. Than make sure you buy a good quality hook (SHARP). Now, for the actual hook set, this is what I do (I read or watched in a video done by a BASS pro): When you feel the fish bite the lure, get a tight line and set the hook on that tight line. Don't be setting the hook on a slack, or even semi-slack line because this can cause the hook to simply be pulled from the fishes mouth, or pull it and snag it in the mouth causing the fish to become unpinned very easily.
Old 07-11-12, 01:25 AM   #9
joedog

Ok , not again. it's an artcle from Jonathan VanDam.
Talks about pouring soda in the fishes mouth and it stops bleeding from gut hooked fish.
Some say Mt.. Dew is best but I don't think it matters what kind of pop (Wisconsin), soda for the rest of the country.
Old 07-11-12, 09:31 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Sharp hooks are a must, especially if you're like me and use a small hook (compared to a T-rig of the same bait). Wacky rigging for me usually involves a Senko or similiar stick bait. While I think the original Senko is the best of that type, I am slowly moving away from it due to it's being basically a one bait = one fish lure, especially when rigged wacky style and at $8.00 a bag (retail) isn't near the value of other brands. Back to the hook - I use a Gamagatsu weedless "finesse hook" for a couple of reasons. It's small which means better concealability, less weight for a more natural fall (ok, sometimes you need more weight and I do use the weighted hooks or more often a nail weight when fishing deep or in current), and they come through weeds easier than a larger EWG hook when wacky rigged. The other big advantage in their small size and round shape is hook removal in deep or gut hook situation. Using long nosed pliers this hook can be turned out easier than a deep set EWG or other long shanked hook. As mentioned, often a bass hitting a wacky Secko will inhale it getting the hook deep, so I think this hook is better for the fish. If you're fishing for fun, mashing the barb down on your hooks, will also make getting any hook out easier and better contribute to a healthy release, especially when a specific presentaion may result in a higher percentage of possibility gut hooking a fish. As Sammy mentioned, a circle hook is a good alternative, I haven't gone to them because I fish a mostly in weeds and prefer the weed guard.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 11:12 AM   #11
DaveW731

Another option for better hookup percentages with a wacky and for saving a senko for an extra fish or two is to put a piece of electrical tape around the middle of the senko, then put the hook through the tape so it is perpendicular to the senko. I can usually catch 3 fish per senko rigged that way. However, I generally prefer a Yum Dinger for wacky rigging, because it is a tougher plastic and sinks a bit slower. I usually don't bother with the tape with a Dinger and still can catch 3 fish per bait. I also use the same Gammy hook bassboogieman does.

In terms of swallowed hooks, the only additional suggestion is to have a pair of medium to large medical hemostats with you. They are thinner than needlenose pliars and are less likely to damage gills and if you clamp them down they have enough grip to pull out a wacky-size hook.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:58 PM   #12
2001kx
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Sharp hooks and no slack during the fight?
Sometimes a bass wants your worm so bad that he's never really hooked at all...just holding the worm real hard in his mouth. At 6/10 I doubt that's whats happening, but it's possible.
Either the through the gills deal or barbless or a hair trigger hookset should minimze killed fish.
i use eagle claw weedless hooks...the only ones they have at my walmart and yes i keep the rod tip high and line tight during the retrieve.
i just went out again last night with my uncle and he and i both lost a bunch of fish again...
we both were doing a hard set with no slack and would get them about 1/2 way in and that was it..worm comes flying out of the water and the fish is gone.
Old 07-11-12, 01:15 PM   #13
2001kx
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks everyone for the advise...removing the hook from a gut hooked fish as suggested worked for me...a little tough on the small fish though(rock bass).
Old 07-11-12, 04:07 PM   #14
DaveW731

Default hook size

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001kx View Post
i use eagle claw weedless hooks...the only ones they have at my walmart and yes i keep the rod tip high and line tight during the retrieve.
i just went out again last night with my uncle and he and i both lost a bunch of fish again...
we both were doing a hard set with no slack and would get them about 1/2 way in and that was it..worm comes flying out of the water and the fish is gone.
I just realized that a 2/0 hook is a good bit larger than what I use for wacky rigging. It MAY be the case that the hook isn't all the way in the mouth, except for the fish that slam it so hard they swallow it. Try going down a couple of sizes and see what happens.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 09:33 PM   #15
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok , not again. it's an artcle from Jonathan VanDam.
Talks about pouring soda in the fishes mouth and it stops bleeding from gut hooked fish.
Some say Mt.. Dew is best but I don't think it matters what kind of pop (Wisconsin), soda for the rest of the country.
Cokes!

lengthening my message to at least 10 characters.
Old 07-12-12, 07:34 AM   #16
bassboogieman

I read an article about using soda to stop bleeding in fish and Mountain Dew was the recommended product.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 09:14 AM   #17
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just don't drink it yourself...
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.