Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-03-05, 03:02 AM   #1
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy
Default Boat Purchasing

Hopefully after an upcoming successful 2nd season as a co-angler, I can start thinking seriously about a bass rig. It's going to require shopping around and TIME to do it. Looking to make the process as effecient as possible while remaining informed as possible. Here's my question. Would any current boat owners out there feel comfortable (either on this thread or private message) disclosing the specifics of their boat package and then disclosing the financing terms they came to terms with.
I.E. 1999 640 NX Nitro 50 HP. with Minnkota Xlbs. thrust with X graph on the console and X graph on the bow.
Financed her for X yrs with a X down payment and X per month. Insurance runs me approx. XXX per year.

Thanks for sharing.
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 10:41 AM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Boat Purchasing

i got lucky with my boat.i was looking around locally,checking out the dealers in my area.just happened to spot my boat covered up in the back of the dealers yard with a for sale sign on it.took off the cover and there was the boat of my dreams.a black 20ft gambler.they were asking 11,995.went there with 10k,told them that was all i had,not a penny more but i want that boat.after some hemming and hawing on their part,we closed the deal.the only electronics it had was an in-dash lowrace flasher(which still works fine).it had a hand control trolling motor,which i quickly replaced with a minnkota maxxum74.
i pay approx.$400 a year for insurance through my auto insurer.
i've had the boat about 5 or 6 seasons now and i still get a kick out of it.i'm upgrading the steering this year to a no-feedback system.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 11:39 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Well I was talking to the owner of the coal pit I fish, and said I was gonna go buy a little jon/fishing boat. He said no need, you can buy my sons, that's been sitting for 2 years. I gave him 1k and took the boat. It's a 16ft Fisher Marine, with a 15 hp eveinrude. Not really a tournament boat at all, but my insurance is free, since it's covered under my home owners policy.(I was told anything under 25hp goes on the home owners). It's real cheap, gets great mileage, but it's top speed is 13-14mph. But I can use it on any lake except electirc only. Somehow or another the 15HP just disappeared off the engine : I've been checked 2 times on a local reservoir that has a max 10hp limit. My boat and moter are a 1982, so it looks older, and never once did I get asked about the HP, they just wanted to see my fishing license. I will get a newer one someday I'm sure, but since I don't fish any tourneys regularly, and I have this boat setup perfect for myself, minus a Livewell, which isn't important since I don't fish tourneys. I've found a lot of clubs are looking for non-boaters, because everyone goes out and buys a new boat as soon as they start fishing tourneys(or right before). Just a thought, but you could buy a littler boat, and just fish the tourneys as a non-boater.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 07:32 PM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

after many years of owning several boats i traded in my old boat. and got a spanking new stratos. paid 1k down and about 150 a month. the insurance is about 300 a year. it had a junky humming bird on it that has been replaced with eagle graphs. and at first it had a minnkota on it but it started smoking during the dealership shake down run. now sports a moterguide 5200 pro series 12 volt system.

it aint big but i like it. next boat will more than likly be a stratos 20+footer.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 12:11 AM   #5
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I found my boat looking in one of the local classifieds. All the add said was "Fishing boat $300" I called the number, went and looked at it. Come to find out it was sitting in this ladies yard and belonged to her brother. He hadn't used it in 3 years and she was tired of it sitting in her yard. I offered her 250 and she took it. It is a 72 Norris craft fiberglass with a 20HP Johnson tiller on the back. Only thing wrong with it was the impeller needed replacing and I had to put a new shear pin in it. I have had to rebuild the carb since I got it, but other than that it runs perfect.

Since I bought it, I have built casting decks on it, put a humminbird fishfinder and a foot controll trolling motor on it. I love this boat and don't plan on selling it anytime soon.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:28 AM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I've owned a boat for the last, oh...almost 30 years. I got the one I've got now after I had to sell my Javelin Bass Boat after a divorce. I've got a J-16 Carolina Skiff that I rigged up as a bass boat. It's got a 20 hp Mercury, and all the "bass boat" goodies. I bought it new, a couple of years ago. I paid about $3800.00 for the boat, an extra seat, a factory front deck, a 54# MG foot control, battery, battery box, trailer, and a few odds and ends. I did all the rigging myself. All in all I've got about $4500.00 tied up in it, not counting fishing tackle of course.

Interest rates and payments will vary depending on your credit history, and where you get your financing. Credit Unions are best probably. Usually a dealereship is the worst. They make money off selling loans but shop as carefully for a loan as you would a boat. What I paid isn't important. What can you afford to pay? I've seen a lot of people who were "boat poor". I've been "boat poor" myself. I don't recomend it. A boat isn't something you HAVE to have. Get one you can afford. You especially don't want to be "upside" down in one; to have it financed so long that you can't hope to sell it, because you owe more on it than you can ever hope to sell it for. I've been there too.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 11:02 PM   #7
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

I bought my boat in '95 late in the fall new off the showroom floor. It's a Procraft 180 DC with a merc blackmax 150. It was great while i took care of it. Then i moved into an appartment. Getting ready to completely overhaul everything on it most of which i can do my self. Don't buy a boat you can't afford to maintain. Secondly don't buy one if you live in an apartment. I did but bought a house last year. I think i got a great deal on it though. It was $17,500. put $10,000 down and financed the rest and had it paid off in 3 yrs. Don't know about insurance though. only had that a couple of years and haven't used the boat for the last 3 yrs. :'(. Buy a pkg. but get your own electronics. I'm still glad I have one but kicking myself for not taking better care of it. It is as good as any 19 footer I've been in and rides better than most boats i've been in but wouldn't buy one now since brunswick sold procraft/astro to johnny morris, so i've been told. I wouldn't buy a nitro either. they don't seem to be very durrable. champions are solid. rangers ride real rough...wouldn't buy one of those...way overpriced as well although the resale holds up. There is a lot to buying a boat so take your time and make sure you get what you want.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 04:26 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Once bought a "Diamond" boat in L.A.
This was from a co. that had recently gone bankrupt.
They had appx 30 boats sitting around. (brand new)
Granted no trailers, no motors, no trolling motors, but all the wiring was in place. I got one that had just been built (even the gass tank wasn't installed yet). Had it dressed up with my equipment from an older boat which I had "stumped out". If you have been on a lake in L.A. you'll see how they are full of trees/stumps.
I practically stole this thing. Soled for more than I payed for it.
I've currently got a 70 hp merc. If you want it you got it.
The only prob. is that you must take the boat with it !
It's not a new boat, but it will float.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 08:32 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lol bassman needin the space for the 18 ft ranger huh?

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 03-14-05, 06:40 PM   #10
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Man what ya talkin about ?
That newby is under cover
You saw that when you were over Sat. I'm just trying to get rid of the other "beautiful piece of water craft that sits motionless" It really needs a new owner.

Heh man, I tell ya what, since were such good friends, the boat is your's for only a small fee.
Youv'e got to admit, that ain't a bad deal.
Old 03-14-05, 07:47 PM   #11
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

like how big a fee? -pumping up the tires? or just hook ing up a dragging it out of your pristine ;D lawn.Â* lol Â*would make a sweet Â*duck boat.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 03-15-05, 04:51 PM   #12
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh lets see, hows $200.00 sound ? The motor alone is worth more than that.
Old 03-15-05, 05:15 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=Boats;num=1109829734;start=0#11 date=03/15/05 at 14:51:20]Oh lets see, hows $200.00 sound ? The motor alone is worth more than that.[/quote]

I might just drive over to see ya for that, if the motor runs

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 04:56 PM   #14
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

The compression is good, however I haven't had the boat in the water to find out. The previous owner told me that it ran well.
Old 03-20-05, 10:04 AM   #15
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

200$, how about a jersey boy runnin down to get er?
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 04:51 PM   #16
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry all, the boat is gone. A lucky angler came by the other day and picked her up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.