Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-23-12, 10:29 PM   #1
mystic1219
BassFishin.Com Member

Default BPS Carbon Matrix reel?

I've been set on heading to bps in the next day or two to pick up a pro qualifier and a decent rod, but I just noticed the Carbon Matrix combos on the website for $100. Anyone have any experience with the matrix reel? How does it compare to the PQ? The matrix has 9+1 bearings, aluminum frame and specs seem close to the PQ. I don't get to fish near as much as Id like to so Im sure either would last me for years, just wondering if its worth trying a new reel with 1 online review over the PQ.
mystic1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 11:51 PM   #2
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I owned a reel with the same frame and internals of that one and it was called the prolite special. I got it last march on sale for $60. I loved it untill the anti reverse bearing went out on it, and I lost a 5lb bass. The reel was great while I had it, but I think that the PQ is definately a better choice. The PQ is tried and true; it has been tested by touring pros, as well as the thousands of weekend anglers who own them. I would choose the PQ if I were you. It's a great reel. BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 09:18 PM   #3
mystic1219
BassFishin.Com Member

What components are different on the two reels? (Im assuming the matrix is a glorified extreme with a couple extra bearings). On paper the PQ and matrix seem almost identical (alum. Frame, 12lb drag, dual brakes, powerlock anti reverse, etc). Im torn between the matrix combo for $100 or a PQ for $80 and a bps rod (tourney special, graphite series,____________). Id like to keep the price of a combo as close to $100 as possible to allow for some new tackle. I've done my share of research on the PQ and have fished them before but just curious of the differences in the new matrix reel. The original extreme has pretty good reviews too (alongside the PQ which we all know has great reviews)
Old 03-26-12, 12:01 AM   #4
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

If you like the carbon matrix, then by all means try it. Just be sure to save your recipt in the case that something happens to it. I just reccomend the pq because it is a proven reel. The specs can be the same, but the quality of parts and bearings could be different between the two.
Old 03-28-12, 02:36 PM   #5
mystic1219
BassFishin.Com Member

I looked at the carbon matrix and liked it a lot, until you put it beside the pro qualifier. I went with the PQ and a graphite series rod for almost the same money as the matrix combo. They appear very similar but there is no comparisson between the two reels.
Old 03-28-12, 09:20 PM   #6
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, that's great that you found a combo that you like. Good luck fishing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.