Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-03-11, 11:47 PM   #1
slowfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new to fishing, have some questions

Im new to fishing and im kind of getting frustrated. The last couple of days I have been fishing in a small creek and in a river for trout. I am using 8lb test line, a small split shot, a size 6 hook about a foot down from the split shot, and a piece of the powerbait trout bait. I have noticed just by placing it in the water near me where i can see, the sinker hits the bottom, but so does my bait. I thought the sinker was supposed to either control the depth(in this case i would need a smaller sinker) or was supposed to hit the bottom and the bait would float up to the side that way its suspended in the water and not resting along the floor. If i use any lighter of a sinker though, im not really going to be able to cast very far at all, not even to the middle of the small river or the creek. What are some things i need to know,somethings i could be doing wrong,what other kind of bait or lure could i use. etc? Would a spinner lure be decent in the moving parts of the river? How should i set up the rig, etc?

For the record, i have done days and days of researching and felt this would be a good way to get a lot of questions answered. Thanks in advance.

Also, the only luck iv ever seem to have fishing is in a lake at night. Ill bait with chicken liver and usually can get a catfish or two.
slowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 04:28 AM   #2
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1st Welcome to the site lots of great people here that are willing to help. Second what part of the country are you from. I know its still pretty cold up here in the Northeast. So depending on where your from the conditions might not be right. Also do you know if the area your fishing is Stocked? What size rod are you using? If you down size your gear you will be able to cast the smaller stuff further. What kind of line are you using?? Mono, Flourcarbon, Braid? Diffrent lines sink at diffrent rate. I use Zman salmon eggs they seem to float the best for me. I have never really had much luck with Powerbait. You can never go wrong with a nightcrawler or even just some plain old corn. As far as your question to spinning lures < roostertail> they are great baits to catch trout with. Depending on how fast the current is. If the water is fast moving i would throw a bigger inline spinner so it can at least break the surface. If the lure is to small in rough water fishing from the shore it will never get down below the surface it will just be pushed to where the current is flowing. I would check out some Mapps Spinners they make alot of quailty baits caught this guy last year in the 1st week of April. Once again welcome aboard the only dumb questions are the ones that arent asked. Been fishing for almost 23year and I still learn something new everytime out. [/IMG]
Old 03-04-11, 01:40 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sounds like you are doing it right, but I think your hook might be a little big. When I throw power bait at the trout, I like to use a size 12 or 14 trebble hook. I make a small ball of the powerbait (maybe half a dime in size) I push th ehook into the bait and have never had an issue with it floating.
I also prefer to use a water filled weight over a split shot. I feel that this allows the trout to run with the bait before feeling the weight.

As other baits, I have done well with a rooster tail, a small rapala minnow, and a kastmaster.
Old 03-04-11, 03:19 PM   #4
slowfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks so far. I live in Virginia. Im using a 7 foot Berkley lightning rod. Im using the fireline crystal for line. I cant seem to even cast out but 20 feet or so where i feel like the water is probably not but 2 feet deep. Should i use a heavier sinker, and use a different kind of floating bait with a trebble hook? that way the sinker is on the bottom but the bait will float higher off of the bottom... I feel like most of this is common sense but something just doesnt seem right.lol. Also with the trebble hook...do i attach a seperate piece of powerbait to each hook or just one or attach one piece somehow to all 3? When using a lure like a spinner, i dont bait it do i? And when using something like a worm or some kind of live bait, iv been told to use a bobber that way the bobber floats and will keep the bait suspended in the water and not on the bottom. Thank you all for your help so far!
Old 03-04-11, 03:50 PM   #5
jmartin

slowfish welcome to the forum. For starters I think using a baited treble hook is illegal in Va but not a 100% sure. Try dropping to at least 4# test line that may be a good place to start and a smaler hook. BTW what part of Va are you from?

Jerry
Old 03-04-11, 04:01 PM   #6
cassidyta

Like JMartin said, your line may be too heavy for your rigging. Instead of attaching powerbait to the each hook on the trebble, roll it into a ball like playdough. The ball should be big enough to cover your enitre hook.
Another good option with trout are to use a syringe and inflate a night crawer. I have a worm blower that I got from walmart that looks like an eyedrop bottle, but it has a needle. Put just enough air in the worm to see it expand. Too much and you will pop it.

As far as baited trebble, I think it is okay in VA for trout, but could be mistaken.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...cking-program/
Old 03-04-11, 04:16 PM   #7
jmartin

Thanks cass I have always been under the impression that it was illegal but there it is in black and white so disregard what I said earlier.

Jerry
Old 03-04-11, 04:21 PM   #8
cassidyta

No worries Jerry. I try to fish in VA when I am out that way and wanted to make sure for my own knowledge.
Old 03-04-11, 05:56 PM   #9
3dkicker

Split shot rig vs drop shot rig
Does powerbait trout bait float?? If not then you need a float of some sort close to the hook to keep it above the bottom. The drop shot will work too.

I've only been trout fishing in VA a few times but a small jig worked real well for me. Plus I caught plenty of sunfish and smallies in the same streams with them too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiny splitshotrigwhite.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	6310   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiny drop_shot5.gif
Views:	374
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	6311   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiny jig.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	6312  
Old 03-04-11, 06:39 PM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, my worthless 2 cents here. try a fly rod and some flies like what is posted above. i think oyu'll get better results this way. fly fishing is not as hard as it seems, jsut takes practice.

and WELCOME TO THE BEST FISHING SITE ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB. kick off yer shoes, loosen the belt buckle, and don't have a cup of ANYTHING when reading some this stuff. many a keyboards have fallen victim to this site buddy. above all.......have fun.
Old 03-05-11, 12:36 PM   #11
slowfish
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks yall have been a big help. 3d kicker-what kind of float could i put by the hook that wouldnt scare away fish? also the drop shot looks like something i may want to try out
Old 03-07-11, 12:24 AM   #12
slowfish
BassFishin.Com Member

also i think common sense is telling me the answer to this but id like to hear it from experienced people, why cant i just use a heavier sinker so i can get a farther cast?
Old 03-07-11, 01:22 AM   #13
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am not a trout angler by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt, I do go to a state park here in Missouri and catch a few trout now and then but they are more like pets than fish in Roaring River. Anyways I see no reason you can't use a heavier sinker to cast further. I would look at it like a carolina rig for bass fishing and I go to a heavier sinker with a carolina rig for several reasons, one of which is when I am wanting to make really long cast'. Anyways I just wanted to welcome you to the site.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 08:46 AM   #14
Mac2

If you replace about 50 yards of your line with a 6 lb test line that is flexible such as Trilene XL and use a number 8 plain shank hook, both available at Wal Mart and move your split shot so it's at least two feet from the hook, you are off to a good start.

If the sinker is too large, the entry will spook the fish.

Form the rainbow power bait paste into a teardrop, completely hiding the hook, but just enough to do just that with no extra mass over the hookpoint, you will be good to go. You need just enough sinker to hold it on the bottom.

I know it sounds strange, but if the sinker is too near the hook, the rainbows will just come up to the bait and bump it with their nose. When I moved the sinker farther up the line, they began biting. You can use the rainbow color with or without glitter....

I believe the plain shank number 8 hook is made by eagle claw....I think you get a box of 50 for under four dollars. If the sinker is two feet or more up the line, it allows the bait to waggle in the current.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 04:56 PM   #15
3dkicker

Are these wild trout that you are after or are they farm raised??? Farm raised are much easier to catch right after they are released. Wild trout are a little more wary of artificial baits but they still can be caught.

I know trout fishermen use fish eggs as bait. You could use a similar color float at the hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salmon eggs.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	6331  
Old 03-07-11, 07:50 PM   #16
Captmikestarrett

Velvetta Cheese..

Capt Mike
Old 03-09-11, 10:46 AM   #17
slick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trout Fishing

I am an avid trout fisherman. When fishing with Power Bait in stream conditions I use the following: A 6'6" medium action spining rod with 6# test line tied to a small barrel swivel which in turn I tie a 4# test leader with a #10 size hook. The length of leader I use is in the range of 15 to 18 inches in length. I use a small split shot on the main line just ahead of the swivel. For Power Bait, I use Rainbow, Orange or Chartruese color. Make a small dough ball out of the PB and just cover the hook. One of the main considerations is keep as much slack out of the line as possible. Trout are sneaky and will suck that bait off the hook in the blink of an eye. You need to be ready to set the hook as soon as you feel the tap or bite.

Hope this helps, enjoy the fishing.
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:54 PM   #18
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Velvetta Cheese..

Capt Mike
And trout are supposed to be smart and difficult to catch?????

But then again who can turn down Velvetta.....
Old 03-10-11, 10:03 AM   #19
Dshow28

A bait that I have had smashing success with here in Virginia for trout is a 2.5 inch Berkley gulp minnow in smelt color, rigged on a small jighead (1/16 oz or smaller). Cast it up stream and give it just enough action to keep it drifting down stream. I've had no trouble enticing even finicky trout with this bait, despite it's relative bulkiness on 8lb test. You could go with a smaller minnow ( I think they also make it in a 1 inch or 1.5) but you would need to down size your jighead accordingly. Good luck
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.