Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-12-12, 01:05 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Power and Action

Figured it might be a good time to repost this information, we are moving into the fishing season and allot of folks are starting to make new rod purchases, this should help.

Old 02-12-12, 01:33 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Old 02-12-12, 03:19 PM   #3
Jrob78

Thanks for posting this Tony. It would do a lot of people a lot of good to learn this. It blows my mind when I hear pros and even rod companies talk about their med heavy action rods.
Old 02-12-12, 04:17 PM   #4
nobass

has no link or info showing
Old 02-12-12, 04:26 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Thanks for posting this Tony. It would do a lot of people a lot of good to learn this. It blows my mind when I hear pros and even rod companies talk about their med heavy action rods.
I hear ya. But as much as I love Falcon rods, it's always drove me crazy that a rod company would make the same mistake http://falconrods.com/index.php/rods...l-casting.html .
Old 02-12-12, 04:37 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I hear ya. But as much as I love Falcon rods, it's always drove me crazy that a rod company would make the same mistake http://falconrods.com/index.php/rods...l-casting.html .
That's exactly who I was thinking of, I think Quantum does this on some of their rods too. It doesn't take anything away from the rods, it just doesn't offer a great description of them either.
Old 02-12-12, 05:38 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Does this terminology include parabolic action rods, a term I have heard a lot lately?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 06:34 PM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Does this terminology include parabolic action rods, a term I have heard a lot lately?
Parabolic would be "slowest" on the chart. It bends from tip to butt.
Old 02-12-12, 06:43 PM   #9
Tavery5

yes, the term parabolic comes from parabola, you can do a quick search on parabola and it will give you a better understanding of what the curve looks like. Parabolic describes the action, the power can be any, as it is a description of the force it takes to bend the rod.

Parabolic action rods are most commonly used as crankbait rods.

Last edited by Tavery5; 02-12-12 at 06:55 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 06:52 PM   #10
bamabassman

THIS IS WONDERFUL graph. thank you so much for posting this. now EVERYONE cans ee waht is meant by said actions on rods. i have wondered where to find a graph or chart like this. yeah....i'm pretty lazy aobut researching stuff. i get furstrated when it doesn't pop right up and say to heck with it. after spending 30 mins ot find ONE specific thing, i get mad and forget about it. then ask someone who is more knowlegeable to do it for me. thanks MB, hahaha!!
Old 02-12-12, 07:26 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

All the the rod reviews on TT use a R.O.D. (rate of deflection?) index to try and bring some uniformity to comparisons but have never really understood how they measure it. Was a little bashful to ask anyone but I guess I've been here long enough to swallow my pride anybody know how that really works?
Old 02-12-12, 08:27 PM   #12
joedog

Thanks Tavery.
Now, I hear manufacturers talking lure weight and line size. I also hear the same from alot of tackle sales people.
But alot of times I hear actual fishing folks base rod power choice on technique and cover ect. What are they dragging in with the fish or pulling fish out of.
Easy example is frogging. Based on the chart you would never really need more than a med. power. Even 50lb. braid is thin. The frog weighs almost nothing.
So do you folks base power choices on line and lure or what type of structure being fished or both?
Old 02-12-12, 10:10 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
All the the rod reviews on TT use a R.O.D. (rate of deflection?) index to try and bring some uniformity to comparisons but have never really understood how they measure it. Was a little bashful to ask anyone but I guess I've been here long enough to swallow my pride anybody know how that really works?
They've had the discussion over there and A LOT of people have no clue how it works. They must just look at the graph and think, "oooh, pretty colors!"

The rate of deflection is how much the rod moves from it's start position. I believe this is measured at the tip. As you can see from their graph, the y-axis is a measurement of distance, while the x-axis is the weight used. They apply different forces to the rods, and measure the displacement. I don't know how useful this is as a figure, but it is when comparing rods.

Anyways, this is a great post to have, and should be made into a sticky is Kevin is still around to sticky threads...

BB
Old 02-12-12, 10:24 PM   #14
Tavery5

I think you hit it on the head BB, RoD is just that a measurement of deflection when a known load is applied. They use a reference rod for a standard and then all others are compared to it.
Old 02-13-12, 07:08 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Is it just a coincidence that the acronym for "Rate of Deflection" spells out "ROD?"
Old 02-14-12, 04:52 PM   #16
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Amen. I hear these terms routinely misused on the fishing shows from knowledgeable anglers like Van Dam, Lindner and right down the line. Makes my head spin.
Old 02-19-12, 11:35 AM   #17
joedog

I was visiting some of the lesser forums. A couple have a very high tournament fishing population. Over and over folks were making coments like this, "I use a 7' MH fast action or extra fast action but you have to get one with a soft tip!" This was a frogging rod discussion. Again, extra fast action tells you there is a soft tip, right?
Fast action means you have a soft tip but not quite as soft as an extra fast. Right?

Tavery5, am I still not understanding? These folks are miss using terms, right?
Or at least repeating terms, right?

One 'yes your right' answer requested.
Old 02-19-12, 11:59 AM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
I was visiting some of the lesser forums. A couple have a very high tournament fishing population. Over and over folks were making comments like this, "I use a 7' MH fast action or extra fast action but you have to get one with a soft tip!" This was a frogging rod discussion. Again, extra fast action tells you there is a soft tip, right?
Fast action means you have a soft tip but not quite as soft as an extra fast. Right?

Tavery5, am I still not understanding? These folks are miss using terms, right?
Or at least repeating terms, right?

One 'yes your right' answer requested.
Well, your on the right track, but you have your terms reversed, the slower, less stiff actions are moderate, moderate fast, the fast and xtra fast tips are stiffer.

It is common for people to say MH fast action, and it is a correct expression, MH power Fast action would be more correct, but it still correctly describes the power and action of the rod.

When people speak of a Fast action rod with a soft tip, what I believe they are describing in another property of rods ofter refereed to as recovery rate. We can have a discussion on recovery rate and hoop strength and all of the other things that make a great rod, but I would rather do it in a separate thread. I really hope to keep this tread easy to understand.
Old 02-19-12, 03:01 PM   #19
joedog

Thanks Tavery5, I'll get it!
Man, not a single 'yes your right' answer.
Ya I'm poor on terminology....and it appears most fisherman are!
So if I got a Croix with ScII blank, parabolic bend MH with fast action.
I have a Meduim Heavy power fast action with a slow tip? Wrong? (reverse psychology)
Old 02-19-12, 03:08 PM   #20
bassboogieman

Quote:
Amen. I hear these terms routinely misused on the fishing shows from knowledgeable anglers like Van Dam, Lindner and right down the line.
That is amazing, just last week I was watching an episode of Bill Dance and when it came to his equipment description in mid-show, he described his rod as "6'6" medium action rod". I just shook my head, it's no wonder people are confused when it comes to power vs action when describing a rod.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.