Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-19-12, 07:05 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Again and Again and Again

When does it stop?

Fish are "Sea Kittens?" You got to be kidding me!

The animal rights fanatics at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have a new propaganda campaign trying to convince normal people that fish are a cuddly as kittens. Seems impossible, but many naive folks seem to think whitetail deer speak English after watching the movie Bambi, so who knows. As removed as people are from nature some may be convinced fish are the same as mammals.
I expect the first time someone takes a fish and plays with it in their lap they will notice a difference. If they are intelligent enough to do some research they will find out many of PETA's claims are just as silly as this one.
PETA claims fish feel pain just like mammals. Wrong. The brains of fish are not nearly as developed as those of mammals and they do not feel pain like mammals do. Anyone who has fished much knows if you hook a fish and don't put any pressure on them they will act completely normal, even with a hook stuck in them. They feel the pressure when you pull on them and react, but they do not feel the hook in their mouth. If fish felt pain from hooks they would never eat spiny bluegill or crayfish, it would hurt too much!
"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," PETA spokesman Ashley Byrne says. Most people would not think of putting traps out around their house to kill kittens, but they don't hesitate to kill mice. And mice are a lot cuter and more cuddly than fish.
This ranks right up there with the billboard PETA put up at the Bassmasters Classic showing a dog with a hook in its mouth to protest fishing. That went over so well they changed to kittens rather than dogs. All this from a group that kills sea kittens and puppies and throws them in dumpsters after claiming they are taking them to shelters.
I will never understand how so many people fall for the PETA propaganda. They definitely don't know much about nature. Reminds me of the "naturalists" on a cruise I went on in Alaska that told me "I don't eat fish, fish are our friends, not our food." When asked about this she said she did not eat meat or fish but ate chicken since she was a "flexitarian." In other words, she chose what she wanted to eat.Hey! I am a 'flexitarian" too. I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first!
More PETA Fun
Old 02-19-12, 07:25 AM   #2
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

So ridiculous.
Old 02-19-12, 10:42 AM   #3
aikenyounggun

PETA lives in a fantasy world. If the government and so many people want to teach us evolution and survival of the fittest in school, I don't see why we practice what he preach. The animals should of evolved to be able to win, humans are simply the dominant species. A lot of animal rights activist hates PETA because PETA wants to skip from A to Z for animals rights and it won't ever happen.

I feel worse that they kill all those poor plants to eat. Plants don't even have brains, so they cant fight back.
Old 02-19-12, 12:27 PM   #4
bassinbob

Reminds me of the National Lampoon movie when they dragged the dog behind the car. I guess the humane way is to shoot fish in a barrel.
Old 02-19-12, 12:35 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Preaching to the choir here, buddy. I think all of us here understand about and treat nature with respect and do all we can to preserve it, but these peta puke nutjobs are WAY out in the left field bleachers.

I just ignore them.

And, when you think about it, us bass fishing humans get outsmarted by a green or brown fish with a pea-sized brain 99% of the time
Old 02-19-12, 01:30 PM   #6
Jrob78

Peta's animal shelters have the highest euthanasia rates in the country and they have been charged with animal cruelty for improperly disposing of euthanized animals.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/03/09/pe...ritics-fuming/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8255324/...nimal-cruelty/
Old 02-19-12, 01:51 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wanna hear a joke? PETA.
Old 02-19-12, 02:35 PM   #8
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wanna hear a joke? PETA.
That is a good one.
Wish I would of thought It!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.