Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-29-10, 08:34 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default what's the difference?

like most of you folks here, i too got my fishing bible...aka; bass pro shops catalog.
and most of you know i want to upgrade my troloing motor. the minn kotas are too high forme so they are out.
i am looking at the motorguides. pages 453 and 454. i am wondering what is the difference between the pro-series item number 21-533-895-00 for 589.99 and the other freshwater (page 454) item number 2105330893-00 for 644.99.

seems to be the same in my opion except for the price. which is better in ya'lls opion? or do you think like me, no difference.

thanks gang. yes i am MUCH better now by the way. hahaha.
Old 12-29-10, 10:02 PM   #2
nofearengineer

Bama, I believe the Pro series only comes in a 5-speed control, whereas the other one you can get digital or 5-speed. The digital is a lot easier on the batteries, and you can fine tune the speed.
Old 12-29-10, 10:30 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The way I see it, the Pro-Series is made for "BPS". The Pro series also has a Machete prop as the Freshwater Series has a Machete III. Again, don't know what type of difference that is. I would guess that the BPS model has older parts on it and sell it as a "just for BPS". I would look into the warranty on it as well. If it can only be fixed by BPS or if any MG place will take care of.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 10:32 PM   #4
bamabassman

ok bryce. so how much longer could i troll with the digital compared to the 5 speed? in layman's terms.lol. i am wondering if it worth the $100.00 to go digital. and what do you mean fine tune the speed? i ain't too keen on this stuff ya know. i am used to the 5 speed like i have now. will it really make a difference?
Old 12-29-10, 10:33 PM   #5
bamabassman

that brings another question i have mibasser. the warrenty issue. i am thinking like you on this. who is the responseable party on repairs? the prop thing i can deal with, i have a grass prop on mine already, it should fit. but i can get a weed prop fairly sheap. so that doesn't sell me ya know.
Old 12-29-10, 11:18 PM   #6
nofearengineer

John, how much the battery charge is extended depends on how you typically use your trolling motor. Do you keep it on 5, 1, or somewhere in between?

At low speeds is where the payback is big. At top speed, it shouldn't make a really big difference.

Funny you mention this, as I am getting oooohh sooo close to pulling the trigger on a Terrova myself. God help me.
Old 12-30-10, 10:35 AM   #7
doc

Just upgraded our TM at the first part of the year, If you have the option get a variable speed. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to go slower than the 1 setting if I need, or if 3 is too much and 2 is too little, you can fine tune it with the variable speed.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 05:22 PM   #8
bamabassman

ok, thanks for the advice gang. guess i'll let my wallet tell me which i'll be able to get. again, i thank you all for the advice. it explains alot to me.
Old 12-31-10, 05:11 PM   #9
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
John, how much the battery charge is extended depends on how you typically use your trolling motor. Do you keep it on 5, 1, or somewhere in between?

At low speeds is where the payback is big. At top speed, it shouldn't make a really big difference.

Funny you mention this, as I am getting oooohh sooo close to pulling the trigger on a Terrova myself. God help me.
Got my Terrova last year...it's the best TM I've ever been around!!!

Can't wait to add the i-Pilot.

IMHO Motor Guide will always be a second rate motor and company. I had nothing but problems with my last Motor Guide, and even worse customer service. I would/will gladly pay a little more for a Minn Kota.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 02:53 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 101lb thrust that I would sell John. It needs a few minor things that you can get done at any dealer or repair shop if you are interested, it could maybe save you some money. If you just want to go new I understand that too.
Old 01-01-11, 10:46 AM   #11
bamabassman

Thanks kory, but my budget is probably no where near what you're wanting for it. But i am courious, so shoot me a pm and tell me anyway. Then i can get lisa REALLY mad at me from all the bugging her about it, hahaha.
Old 01-01-11, 11:59 AM   #12
nofearengineer

John,

Kory probably already told you, but remember a 101 lb'er is a 36V motor. So it will mean an extra battery.
Old 01-01-11, 12:17 PM   #13
bamabassman

I know bryce. Another blow to the ol bank account,lol.
Old 01-08-11, 03:05 PM   #14
flfireman

so what's wrong with MK 101 and how much. I've got room for the extra batteries and that might be what Im looking for. Im guessing a 101 is a 52" shaft.
Old 01-08-11, 03:24 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
so what's wrong with MK 101 and how much. I've got room for the extra batteries and that might be what Im looking for. Im guessing a 101 is a 52" shaft.
I just used it for a short time before I got my Fortrex so my experience with it is limited, but to my knowledge it just has a few small problems that should be fixable and not cost a guy too much money.

1st problem: The bearing assembly on the shaft is worn out and needs to be replaced. You might be able to get the part number and get one from a parts store if you wanted to save a few bucks by fixing it yourself, not sure though.

2nd problem: The pin that the motor pivots on when you raise and lower it (not sure what this pin is called) has plastic bushings, I have no clue whos bright idea it was to use the plastic bushings but they are worn out and the pin will try to work its way out of its holes after being raised and lowered a few times. I would think there would be a better way of fixing this than just getting new plastic bushings. I was thinking there should be a better way of fixing this thing than putting new plastic bushings on it. A tap and die kit might go a long ways if you could tap the hole to where you can just screw the pin in so it can't back itself out. Not sure that would work but it might.

3rd problem: This motor has the universal transducer and I think it might have been starting to act up when I put the Fortrex on the boat. I am not sure if my problem was the transducer or my graph because it went crazy a little later so it's possible that just the graph acted up. If you have a skimmer type transducer then this probably wouldn't matter to you anyways but I just want to make you aware of all the issues I know about with it.

It's got a few battle scars but it would make a good trolling motor for someone who wanted to get it fixed.

It does have a 52" shaft

and I put a red Cool Foot pad on the pedal which is still on there.
Old 01-09-11, 12:02 AM   #16
bamabassman

kory, i want it man. jsut ain't got the money. my brother hasn't said if he wants my trolling motor yet. he is trying to fix up the boat i ofund for him and his son AND trying to fix up a house as well. he, like me, is flat out broke. so if you want to and can sell it to another please do. i thank you from the bottom of my heart man. but money is tight and you may need it as much as the rest of us. so go ahead and sell it if oyu have a buyer. if and when i sell mine, i can find another troller. thanks again kory. you are a true friend and brother to me.
Old 01-09-11, 12:22 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kory, i want it man. jsut ain't got the money. my brother hasn't said if he wants my trolling motor yet. he is trying to fix up the boat i ofund for him and his son AND trying to fix up a house as well. he, like me, is flat out broke. so if you want to and can sell it to another please do. i thank you from the bottom of my heart man. but money is tight and you may need it as much as the rest of us. so go ahead and sell it if oyu have a buyer. if and when i sell mine, i can find another troller. thanks again kory. you are a true friend and brother to me.
I am not going to any great lengths to advertise this thing, I just mention it to people when I think they might be intersted. Holler when you are ready to buy a trolling motor because chances are good that I will still have it.
Old 01-09-11, 02:11 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok, i will brothere. and thanks man. i have doen a little checking and i think i can get those "parts" pretty easly.
Old 01-09-11, 10:42 PM   #19
flfireman

again, not wanting to scoop Bama, but exactly what kind of money are you looking for?
Old 01-10-11, 01:56 AM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
again, not wanting to scoop Bama, but exactly what kind of money are you looking for?
Considering that you would be out some money (not sure how much but I honestly don't think it would be much) to fix it, I would take $300 + Shipping.
Old 01-10-11, 07:44 PM   #21
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
like most of you folks here, i too got my fishing bible...aka; bass pro shops catalog.
and most of you know i want to upgrade my troloing motor. the minn kotas are too high forme so they are out.
i am looking at the motorguides. pages 453 and 454. i am wondering what is the difference between the pro-series item number 21-533-895-00 for 589.99 and the other freshwater (page 454) item number 2105330893-00 for 644.99.

seems to be the same in my opion except for the price. which is better in ya'lls opion? or do you think like me, no difference.

thanks gang. yes i am MUCH better now by the way. hahaha.

Bama , from what I was told the Pro Series is made for BPS and Tracker Marine ( one in the same , I am pretty sure ) , I was told by my local boat dealer that the pro series us cheaper electric motors. I dont know if thats true or not. Anyway I would watch EBay , as I got a 54# 12v Motorguide Freshwater series for $410 and that was shipped !! What a deal.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 08:21 PM   #22
bamabassman

yeah, i know cmorg. like i said, i can't get another troller untill i sell mine. it does ok........just need more power for the cajun.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.