Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-03-06, 09:27 AM   #1
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default gear ratio

i recently bought a quantam baitcasting combo.the reel is tg400cx,the rod is tgc66mh 6'6'' medium-heavy.
the reels gear ratio is 6:2:1,how is this any different from a 6:3:1??
and what exactly do those numbers mean
Old 01-03-06, 11:02 AM   #2
skeeter944

i have the exact same combo. it is very good except that after a year i think the drag is starting to lose pressure. the gear ratio is how many times the spool turns in one turn of the handle. in your case,it would turn 6.2 times with 1 handle turn. what are you going to use the combo for? i used myn with worms and light jigs.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 01:02 PM   #3
Raul

The gear ratio is the number of turns the spool rotates whith every turn of the handle, 6.2:1 means that spool rotates 6.2 times for every turn of the handle and thatīs it. It has nothing to do with the speed of the reel, thatīs given by the IPT ( inches per turn ), the ammount of line the reel picks up for every turn of the handle. Why it has nothing to do with the speed ? because the diameter of the spools varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. A high gear ratio reel doesnīt necessarily mean it will be faster. For example the Curado 200 has a gear ratio of 6.2:1, the Curado 100 has the same gear ratio, which one is faster ( picks up more line ) ? comparing gear ratio to gear ratio both should be the same, something thatīs not true, one has an IPT of 26" while the other has an IPT of 25", the 200 is faster than the 100. Never pick the speed of a reel based on the gear ratio, use the IPT as a comparison of speed.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 05:06 PM   #4
pig n jig

Thank You Raul. Yeah what he said, gear ratio means nothing. Line retrieve is what you want to look for.The gear ratio is just another gimmick to sell you a reel. Line diameter,spool diameter and spool width plus gear ratio all determine the line retrieve rate.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 06:12 PM   #5
bass kicker

thank i did not know that
Old 01-03-06, 06:16 PM   #6
KH.

i knew what a gear ratio was,just didnt know what the numbers meant.i knew it was how much it spinned. i didnt know what exactly the numbers meant. i new higher,the more it spinned.

skeeter, i use it it for another spinnerbait rod i own.works well with it.

thanks
Old 01-03-06, 08:29 PM   #7
Raul

It means something when you compare reels that share the same characteristics. For example, Citica, Curado 200, Curado 200BSF, Castaic, Chronarch, Chronarch SF had the same gear ratio and the same IPT ( 26" ) while the Curado 200B5 had a GR of 5:1 and an IPT of 21" or the Curado 200B38 with a gear ratio of 3.8:1 and an IPT of 17", when you try to compare reels from different manufacturer is when it doesnīt work anymore.
Old 01-03-06, 10:01 PM   #8
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yeah,the new 7.0 to 1 quantums have 28 ipt.the pflueger supreme and president with 6.3 to 1 have 28 ipt.goes to show you that quantum is using the 7.0 to just sell the reel.
Old 01-03-06, 10:12 PM   #9
KH.

while reading kvd's book,he said that the kess line you have in your spool,the less line you will reel in.likewise the more line in there the slower it will come in.
Old 01-03-06, 10:32 PM   #10
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

well, its a concept of travel. Think of a tire on a car. 1 turn of a 13 inch wheel is not going to travel as far as 1 turn of a 26 inch wheel. The basic premise of line retrieve is determined by the diameter of the spool+line at any given time.

However, don't glance over gear ratio because it does play a part in overall line retrieve. Here is the question I have..is the IPT based on turns of the spool or turns of the handle?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-06, 10:45 PM   #11
KH.

handle i think
Old 01-04-06, 01:32 PM   #12
Raul

Turns of the handle.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.