Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-22-06, 11:00 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default topwater minnow setup

hey,you guys.i have a question on what setup yall use for topwater minnows and other small treble hook lures? i use a $15 spinning combo, a 6' medium power,fast action compostite rod with 8lb clear line. i need to get a better rod and reel soon.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 07:33 AM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

is a topwater minnow like a floating sandminnow?..not sure what you are talking about.whatever you're using now should be ok..$15??????....i thought i was cheap...lmao
Old 05-23-06, 09:28 AM   #3
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

me i ues a 5 almost 6ft pole with any reel i have on at the time. and i use a blaze minnow most of the time but sometimes a use a rapala floalting minnow they both work great.
Old 05-23-06, 12:04 PM   #4
skeeter944

i am talking about hard jerkbaits/rapalas original floating minnow.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 03:56 PM   #5
pig n jig

skeeter, a heavier line will work better than a lighter line.I use a fiberglass rod when fishing treble hooks.I think 8 lb line is too small, I would go with 12-14 lb test for even the small trebled lures.I add a feather tail to most of my top water baits, jerkbaits, rattle traps, with the exception of the spooks.I will also switch to a top water bait that the tail drops lower in the water when the fish are rolling on the bait but not really taking it.I have boated alot of foul hooked fish because of the tail sat lower in the water allowing the fish to get hooked when slapping at the bait or rolling at it. I used to fish the old Bill Lewis slap stick jerk baits for this very reason.Does anyone remember them ?They sat upright in the water when sitting still because of the weighted tails on them.A stupid looking bait, but they caught alot of non biting fish. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 04:30 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pnj,
i have used them before, and really not so stupid, have ya ever noticed a dying shad in the early spring, the ones that are about "coaked" will position their body like that, tail pointing down, head up...funny thing is I've never seen one get "busted" ...its more like the bass feed on the swimming shads...Of course, you could get that N.Y. street element, that would soon attack any homie standin' upright or not rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 05:20 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

I often see bass take 2 hour dead shiners, as in not moving for 2 hours, just floating on the top of the water, tail down deep in the water because hte rigamortis set in.
Old 05-26-06, 10:44 PM   #8
pig n jig

JB, There isn't any shad in the lakes here. We have alot of baitfish, but no shad.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.