Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-17-09, 11:18 PM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 7:1:1 baitcaster Question.

Forgive me for asking such a novice question, I just bought the 7:1:1 Pflueger patriarch bait caster reel, I also have the 6:4:1, so this 7:1:1 burner style is a bit wider, and has a faster retrieve, Good for fishing with Jigs right? the star drag on that reel DEAD LOCKS on hook sets , which is why i bought it.

what im trying to say is i never really gave jigs a try until this year, Not saying i Never used em, but after viewing Kevin's videos, He has gotten me all excited, (Big shout out to Kevin) and after landing that 4 lb on a black and blue jig on Easter Sunday, using a spinning reel, it put my confidence up in jigs, So I decided to step it up a notch, and get better equipment, i had a 7ft rod, with a nice strong, but sensitive tip, so on Monday and i went out and bought a 215.00 bait caster thats a 7:1:1, did i buy the right reel for jig fishing?

If not i can always use it for speed reeling spinner baits, or crankbaits, and ill just go buy another 6:4:1 *or lower* In 2 weeks for jigs, but i always heard a higher gear ratio is better cause it pulls the fish out of the cover faster...is that not all true with what reel you need for fishing jigs?

Again its no big deal if i didn't buy the right reel, i can just switch it to a 6'6 med-heavy action rod, and use that for some other lure.
Old 04-17-09, 11:25 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I personally like a 7:1 on my jig fishing. The ability to turn their head is key. Since you said that it dead locks on your hook set, then I would say that you got a good one.
Old 04-17-09, 11:45 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It is all personal preference, like most fishing equipment. But a burner can have it's advantages in jig fishing. for one, after the jig is out of the strike zone, you can get it back to the boat for another cast quickly.

BB
Old 04-18-09, 04:24 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

i like a 7.1:1 for a jig as well, the lowest i go is 6.4:1. same reasons as listed above plus if a fish picks up the jig and swims right at you (which will happen some) you can get the slack reeled up that much quicker.
Old 04-18-09, 10:44 AM   #5
Bassboss

I would not use it for cranks, But go and use it for spinnerbaits, FROGS, worms, flippin', and pitch plastics, or what ever else in heavy grass or cover!

Sounds like you do a great reel for it, also sounds like it would do REALLY good for pulling bass out of muck when froggin'! In fact when you said 7.1:1, the first thing I thought was frogs! Just know that frogs and jogs are very similar as far as tackle, rod/reel, line etc.!

And hey, if you don't like it.... I'll take it!
Old 04-19-09, 03:21 AM   #6
CCbass

I always hear low ratios are for power and high ratios for speed, never made much sence to me. Sure if you hold your rod still and reel, sure its easier on a heavy fish with a low ratio reel, but who does that. I choose my ratios according to my technique, if one that works easier with less line uptake I use that, if better faster I use that, if it does not matter use whatever.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 03:27 AM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I only use 7 to 1 for jigs in cover, but then again I am a pretty big guy and don't have any trouble in the cranking power department.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 10:31 AM   #8
dodgeguy

it's a great reel for jigs.
Old 04-19-09, 03:42 PM   #9
Jim80

def a good reel for jigs , I would also consider using it for pitching/flipping plastics or creature baits into heavy cover .

Jim
Old 04-20-09, 12:35 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
I always hear low ratios are for power and high ratios for speed, never made much sence to me.
Put a DD22 or similar deep crankbait on a 7:1 reel and throw it for a couple hours, then come back and tell me "Power vs. speed" doesn't make sense.
Old 04-20-09, 05:15 PM   #11
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Put a DD22 or similar deep crankbait on a 7:1 reel and throw it for a couple hours, then come back and tell me "Power vs. speed" doesn't make sense.
No kidding, your arm will want to fall off, not to mention the guy next to you with the 5 to 1 will catch 3 to your 1 cuz his bait is moving at half the speed, that is unless the bass are mega-agressive.
Old 04-20-09, 08:05 PM   #12
rangerryan

the faster you get them biggens outta the cover the better chance you have of puttin them in the boat. 7:1 is the best reel for flippin any kind of bait in to cover. good choice.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 09:06 PM   #13
zooker

ryan is right using a fast reel for basicly slow presented baits like a pnj or a t-rig. and a slow reel for a fast bait like a crank bait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
No kidding, your arm will want to fall off
for shallow stuff like a bandit 100 a 5.1-5.4 reel will be the ideal area. load it heavy 12-15 pound mono..-you looking for more wear and less depth-

anything that digs to 10 feet you can get away with a 4.8-5.1 reel 10-12 pound test..

you load up a dd22 or worst yet a d-20 you need a slow as you can go reel.. i use a 3.8 geared beast..on a 100% glass stick and since your diggin dirt at that level 8-10 pound test.. i actually rather lose 1 foot of diving by using 12 pound test mono.. but then again those dang lucky craft d-20 cost a LOT..

zooker
Old 04-29-09, 03:31 AM   #14
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i actually rather lose 1 foot of diving by using 12 pound test mono.. but then again those dang lucky craft d-20 cost a LOT..

zooker
Right on here, but I use flouro and can't afford The LC baits, although the bait monkey has caught me a few times with them. I think they are flat out the best bait on the market, especially the Rick Clunn models.
Old 04-29-09, 06:40 PM   #15
zooker

id
i agree at times..the big lc's i use are the cb fat series d-12 d-14,and the d-20..i have hunted thru about every lc dealer on the planet to get some of them..the d-14 is sadly no longer made..

zooker
Old 05-04-09, 03:27 AM   #16
BassinID

Agreed zook, 14' is about the perfect depth for what I do, it is great for flats, deep structure, and steep bluffs, but it still has a tight wiggle that is body centered, not rotating around the line tie like a 20.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.