Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-30-11, 10:13 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Big Bass Zone

I ordered this a few days ago, still hasn't arrived. But I was wondering if anyone else has purchased this book and what were their thoughts?
Old 06-30-11, 11:59 AM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Mumpy,

Your order was shipped on 06-28 so it should be arriving soon.

The Big Bass Zone book is an incredible compilation of big bass behavior and big bass techniques.

I think this is MUST READ information for all anglers, but especially important for us East Coast and Southern guys, since most of these tactics have not been used over here much.

Check out this video of guys using Big Bass tactics out east and down south to catch some monsters. It was just posted on Tackle Warehouse.
Old 06-30-11, 12:36 PM   #3
Mumpy

Wow, I can't believe Kevin himself has answered my Post! Are you kidding me? Kevin you're like my dang HERO. Thank you for the Video Link, I can't wait to read that book. I get my boat in August so I can't wait to get started catching some of these Bass down here. Although I'm having the best year I've ever had Bass Fishing, this can only make me better!
Old 06-30-11, 05:06 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've read it, twice actually. It's a good read with some great info in it. However, it focuses greatly on swimbaits, so if you're not ready or willing to be dedicated to them, much of the info may not be pertinent to you.

BB
Old 06-30-11, 07:02 PM   #5
bamabassman

ok, mumpy.....don't be giving ol kevin no BIG HEAD. it's big enough as it is. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

for real, kevin is a nice guy. wait till you meet him in person. (if he ever attends another get together that is, HINT,HINT!!). HAHAHAHA!!
Old 07-01-11, 01:32 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
Wow, I can't believe Kevin himself has answered my Post! Are you kidding me? Kevin you're like my dang HERO. Thank you for the Video Link, I can't wait to read that book. I get my boat in August so I can't wait to get started catching some of these Bass down here. Although I'm having the best year I've ever had Bass Fishing, this can only make me better!
Kevin is good people, and anything that gets his seal of approval is worth taking a gander at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've read it, twice actually. It's a good read with some great info in it. However, it focuses greatly on swimbaits, so if you're not ready or willing to be dedicated to them, much of the info may not be pertinent to you.

BB
I have read the book myself and agree with BB. A lot of the information is geared towards swimbaits which is not a bait that I throw much. However all of the information about locations and migration routes was very helpful.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 06:14 PM   #7
Lvitch

Wow, did you guys really read the book? There is some swim bait talk, but its not really what the book is about at all. I think I've read it 10+ times and refer to it often. The book is all about changing your mindset, and using large lures as part of it.
Old 07-01-11, 06:18 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

I didn't say that it was all about swimbaits, I said a lot of the information is geared towards swimbaits, which it is. But like you said there is also a lot of good information in there that isn't based on swimbaits. It's a good book.
Old 07-01-11, 06:55 PM   #9
Lvitch

I guess.... Personally, after reading it and applying the principals, you could be using any bait for just about any of the principals described in the book. Swimbaits just happen to be in most of the illustrations. But whatever, its a great book that will help change the way you look at fishing. A++
Old 07-01-11, 07:30 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
I guess.... Personally, after reading it and applying the principals, you could be using any bait for just about any of the principals described in the book. Swimbaits just happen to be in most of the illustrations. But whatever, its a great book that will help change the way you look at fishing. A++
I need to go back and look over the book a bit but one thing that I did find interesting is that he said you can almost always find fish on or around 5 key areas that exist on almost all lakes. If memory serves they were flats, islands, humps, points, and saddles. I thought that was interesting because we all know that these places will hold fish but I never looked at them in the sense of almost always being able to find fish on or around these areas.
Old 07-01-11, 10:12 PM   #11
Lvitch

Yeah to me the best part of the book was understanding the thought process. To me it made things clearer as to the "why" those are good places. Those are all I fish any more. It makes it so much easier to breakdown the lake when you look at it from that perspective. I really got the everything and nothing matters points also. Once you start to see things like the locations on the lake, you start to see them every where. There's a lot to digest in there, I try and work on my boat positioning and casting angle the most . I still suck at it but getting better. He's right though you never know what's out there until you purposely try to fish for the biggest fish in the lake. I have seen some absolute giants in the teen class in lakes I never knew had fish in them like that. 8 lbr's come pretty often now, but I'm still a little discouraged because I know what else is out there. I need a 12" rapala floater! Lol
Old 07-02-11, 02:09 AM   #12
Lvitch

So did you throw the big baits and go all out to try it? If so what was your experience? I didn't catch a fish in 4 trips throwing nothing else but a bbz 1 and an optimum 10" swimbait. I did see the biggest fish of my life every trip though. They would just follow the big swim baits for me. I did however immediately start catching better fish on large baits, 10" sluggos, big rapalas, and 6" tiger tubes and 12" worms. My average catch weight went up and I caught my new PB (8.5). My average fish now is 3-4 lbs, and I have caught several 5,6,7,8's , but not as many as I used to smaller fish. But a good fish before was 4 lbs. Now its , ehhhhh. Lol. I need to learn to work a C rig better with a 10" sluggo or huge lizards, its a killer technique. lol
Old 07-02-11, 06:05 AM   #13
Mumpy

Got it in the Mail yesterday! Going to start reading it tonight when I get home. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-02-11, 01:36 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
So did you throw the big baits and go all out to try it? If so what was your experience? I didn't catch a fish in 4 trips throwing nothing else but a bbz 1 and an optimum 10" swimbait. I did see the biggest fish of my life every trip though. They would just follow the big swim baits for me. I did however immediately start catching better fish on large baits, 10" sluggos, big rapalas, and 6" tiger tubes and 12" worms. My average catch weight went up and I caught my new PB (8.5). My average fish now is 3-4 lbs, and I have caught several 5,6,7,8's , but not as many as I used to smaller fish. But a good fish before was 4 lbs. Now its , ehhhhh. Lol. I need to learn to work a C rig better with a 10" sluggo or huge lizards, its a killer technique. lol
Honestly no I didn't. I actually bought it not because I was wanting to go after the biggest bass in the lake, but rather in hopes that it would help put me around bigger fish on a sonsistant basis in tournaments which I think it has. This winter I am going to go back and read it again and refresh my memory though, and maybe after that I will do some big fish hunting.
Old 09-21-11, 10:42 AM   #15
aje3721
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trying to buy the book...

....and I keep getting an error about the credit card on the order form. I know the wife hasn't had my card so I know it's still good! Has anyone had this issue? I left a message on the site phone number and dropped an email to the "info" address and haven't heard anything back.
aje3721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.