Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-01-05, 09:50 PM   #1
fishiy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishiy
Default Does it make Scents?

I was just wondering if you guys and gals put scent on your baits. Even though there are so many choises out there, scents might make an inactive bass bit your plastic or jig.
What are your favorits smells and manufacturer's scents???

Thanks Fishin' fool
fishiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 10:06 PM   #2
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: Does it make Scents?

I use scent on spinnerbaits only because of some experiences I had with that bait. There's a good article by Ralph Manns on the BFHP. Just go there and scroll to article #175.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/articles/
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 11:59 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Yes I use scents. Yum is my favorite, but anything really works for me. I've used Bang, and also some garlic flavored cooking spray. I like Garlic flavor for most plastics, and Craw flavor for Jigs, and Yum Craws. I use shad flavor on flukes.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:03 AM   #4
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Basser

I LOVE YUM!!! i've done extremely well on the crawfish! i'd def. recommend getting the crawfish when using tubes/jigs!! One day i wasnt catchin any fish, so i decided to put on the crawfish scent, next cast, WHAMMO!! caught a fish. i will always have YUM CRAWFISH by my side!
Basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:10 AM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

well i cant say much because ive only used 2 scents in my time the first on came in a clear spray bottle and it was green. it is called baitmate live gamefish acctractment and im not crazy about it. it gets messy due to the spraying and i havnt noticed to much of a difference when using it. the second that i use now is BANG. i like this scent because ive noticed a change when using it and it seems to work. the main reason i have not used more scents is the fact that the local wally world doesnt have much of a selection :-/ and every time i go to bps i seem to get side tract with buying baits. i am definitly going to try out that kick n bass scent. ive heard good things about it.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:34 AM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Makes scents to me. I've used Kick'n Bass garlic and crawfish with good success-same with YUM. I recently got some Carolina Lunker Sauce but haven't given it a good workout yet. With the exception of a Tiki Stick I don't throw a soft plastic or jig-n-pig without some scent.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:37 AM   #7
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

Kick-n-bass garlic was killa for my buddy and i in the spring.(I didnt have any gralic YUM ate the time) I think garlic is the best spring time scent? anyone agree?
Old 03-02-05, 12:50 AM   #8
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Just got these Gulp! 5" Sinking Minnow worms, and they are said to be scented a lot better than live bait and other baits, and will attract fish faster and in a larger radius. Not sure what the scent is, but that's about all the scenting I use, unless I buy some other pre-scented plastic. Used garlic scent before, didn't have much success with it at the time. But if I fish with it more, I'm sure it would attract fish.

By the way, has anybody had any results using the Gulp! 5" Sinking Minnow (Black w/Red Specks)? Or, has anyone had succes with any Gulp! product at all?

thanks,

seaphantom

singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:55 AM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ive heard bad things about gulp. but who knows
Old 03-02-05, 01:02 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I squirt Baitmait into a bag of worms, but that's about it. I think Mazola Corn Oil would do the same thing.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 01:17 AM   #11
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I don't think the bass are drawn to the bait by scents,i seem to get the same amount of hits without the stuff.But, my hook up ratio is greater with scent applied to my soft plastics or jigs.It gives me a 1-3 seconds longer to set the hook."i'm getting slow in my old age".I love Jack's Juice,in craw or lizard.......

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 01:31 AM   #12
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

i've done fairly well on the sinkin minnows
not outstanding though
Old 03-02-05, 01:48 AM   #13
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Wife tells me all the time I have no sense. Use fishformula. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 09:50 AM   #14
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

I use The Original Fish Formula, in Garlic, Shad , and Craw, depending on the bait and situation I am useing.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 11:36 AM   #15
wylie_cope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wylie_cope

This is just what i remember from an article i read awhile ago...It read that most scents are a gimmick because thier chemical make-up is based on some oil product, the article said that fish cannot taste/smell oil or something to that extent. It said any scent that leave a slick on top of the water will not make a difference to fish... Im not an expert by any means, Im not sure if this is true at all? I have read though that carolina lunker sause/smelly jelly is made up of stuff that actually appeals to fish... Is you all have confidense in these formulas thats all that matters. I have never seen a difference but I may buy some lunker sause to try out.
wylie_cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 11:58 AM   #16
Basser
BassFishin.Com Member

hey whip. i live about 40 min away from raystown.. maybe we can meet up sometime this summer and go fishin. gotta boat?
Old 03-02-05, 01:00 PM   #17
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Always do, Kick N Bass Garlic or craw.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 06:45 PM   #18
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

I feel like the cheap frugal guy of the forum, but maybe I am. I make my own scent.

Simply get a spray bottle... put some vegetable oil in it, get some garlic in... add a bit of salt... shake it up... let it sit in the sun for a few days (protect it from predators though)

You've got yourself a scent. The longer it sits, it "ages" and becomes stronger.

I made a batch of this in 2003 and still have over half a bottle left. This is because the stuff is so strong, I don't have to use very much. Money saver.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 06:47 PM   #19
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

whip, i dont think that article is right because if that was true then u could pour motor oil on a bait and it wouldnt make a difference. and from my experience it does :-X and the BANG fish formula leaves slick on the surface and it works good for me 8)
Old 03-02-05, 07:24 PM   #20
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

fish formula shad and garlic. i like the tip up spout it is less messy..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 07:24 PM   #21
Jim_Symcox
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim_Symcox

I have fished both with and without scents and haven't really noticed a difference. Most quality soft plastics have scent or salt built in, and with faster presentations I don't think it would make much difference. In truth I believe the biggest advantage scents may offer is to help hide unnatural scents left on the baits by the fisherman-gas, tobacco, sunscreen etc.
Jim_Symcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 12:18 AM   #22
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

well last weekend the fish were fickle i thought. but when i puts some craw sent on the brush hog it picked up my catch ratio 3 to 1 in some parts...
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 03:50 PM   #23
weeddoggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeddoggy

I never put any scents on my baits because of the mess, I bout some scent one time and it leaked all over the inside of my tackle box.

About the Gulp, I haven't used the sinking minnow but I do use gulp lizzards and craws, I have had pretty good luck with them. I don't like to use the gulp though because once you use them they are pretty much junk. They say if you let it dry out and then put it back in water it will take its normal form. Has anybody tried this?
weeddoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 05:38 PM   #24
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=UtahBass link=board=news;num=1109724624;start=0#22 date=03/04/05 at 13:50:00]I never put any scents on my baits because of the mess, I bout some scent one time and it leaked all over the inside of my tackle box.

About the Gulp, I haven't used the sinking minnow but I do use gulp lizzards and craws, I have had pretty good luck with them. I don't like to use the gulp though because once you use them they are pretty much junk. They say if you let it dry out and then put it back in water it will take its normal form. Has anybody tried this? [/quote]

They only have a shelf life of about 1 year period. Yes they exude tons of scent, but you can apply scent as we've been discussing. I don't care for the Gulp. They do turn into shoestrings, and they are already biodegrading in the package. Tons of stuff catch fish, why use something like this. Yes I know some pros swear by them, but hey if you were given them for free, and paid to promote them, then what are you gonna say? "Well they are the greatest, and anyone can catch fish with them". Point being just because pros endorce something doesn't mean it's better than the other products, they are being PAID.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.