Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-15-05, 10:33 PM   #1
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Does the Type of wood matter much?

I am sure you guys can answer this one.
I know balsa is great but could I just take a two by four and make a bait out of it like a topwater or crankbait that would catch fish like Chris is doing. I took a shop class in 8th grade and I always wanted to ask my teacher if I could work on some lures if I had any free time and I never got enough balls to ask! But what is your guys take on this?
Old 10-16-05, 01:10 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dont see why not. Only one way to find out-try it and see how it works. You also might practice on a 2x4nand then switch to balsa or jelutong wood when you know what you are doing.
Old 10-16-05, 05:42 AM   #3
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fishie if its possible I would use some other type of wood other than 2x4 because of the large grains its not possible to sand it all the way smooth and you can't get the exact shape that you want.

Chris

need any help or a walk through give me a shout
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:09 AM   #4
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bass wood is excellent for carving and sanding....also a wood found up north called White Cedar is great. White pine (2x4) will work, but like Christopher says is a rough wood when it comes to making lures. You can get an awful lot of information and enthusiasm from going to www.tackleunderground.com
and studying that site.......the pictures alone are awesome.... Companies like netcraft and stamina are good for lure parts (hardware)....www.netcraft.com and www.staminainc.com will also provide you with free catalogs. Balsa and jelutong are other options as Rebbasser says...... Sometimes with balsa, you include an internal wire harness which gives the lure strength. All in all, it's a very interesting subject and can become a lifelong hobby.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 11:11 AM   #5
angelus40

bass wood is very heavy i know i tried to put it in the back of my ex's station wagon part of the tree was down. so i left it i was going to make something
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 11:52 AM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bass wood is heavy but easily carved. ceder is ok but is oily wood and takes more paint prep. black walnut-any nut tree for that matter- is oily wood and hard to carve. even harder if it is not green. jeltuong perfect wood. strong as walnut/hickory carves like bass wood. my favorite wood to work with is a tad rare-there for very exspenive-desert iron wood. a very dry wood and very very hard to carve but it is very beautiful wood once done..

what ? stop looking at me like that ... i used to -still do-carve scales for knifes-that's wood handles..

zooker
Old 10-16-05, 12:28 PM   #7
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I made a balsa crankbait. Honestly it is easier and faster to make. I was carving a crankbait from a 2 by 4 and I made a small mistake and the crankbait became messed up. Then I pulled out balsa wood and made a crankbait that came out great. Now if I can get my new airbrush out I will make a crawfish pattern.
Old 10-16-05, 10:36 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1
Bass wood is excellent for carving and sanding....also a wood found up north called White Cedar is great. White pine (2x4) will work, but like Christopher says is a rough wood when it comes to making lures. You can get an awful lot of information and enthusiasm from going to www.tackleunderground.com
and studying that site.......the pictures alone are awesome.... Companies like netcraft and stamina are good for lure parts (hardware)....www.netcraft.com and www.staminainc.com will also provide you with free catalogs. Balsa and jelutong are other options as Rebbasser says...... Sometimes with balsa, you include an internal wire harness which gives the lure strength. All in all, it's a very interesting subject and can become a lifelong hobby.
Instead of useing the white cedar 2x4, I do believe the salt treated 2x4 would work much much better and the fish would hang on to it much longer being as it is impregnated with salt much like the soft plastics are salt impregnated. It will give give the big ole bass more bite. Try it!.
Old 10-17-05, 09:42 AM   #9
Mac1

Unregistered......you apparently misread my post. The 2x4 was white pine as mentioned in the original post of this thread. You can get white cedar in smaller pieces than 2x4, much easier for using.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-05, 10:26 AM   #10
Unregistered

SorryMac! I did misread. But I was only pulling your leg. Have a nice day.
Old 10-17-05, 07:43 PM   #11
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Instead of useing the white cedar 2x4, I do believe the salt treated 2x4 would work much much better and the fish would hang on to it much longer being as it is impregnated with salt much like the soft plastics are salt impregnated. It will give give the big ole bass more bite. Try it!.
Don't think it would work anyways after being coated in paint and clear coat.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.