Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-06, 12:50 AM   #1
seaphantom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom
Default Don't want to waste a good morning doing the wrong thing.

What's happening,

Tomorrow, 6 am, I'm going fishing off a dock at my lake.
This dock is sitting right on a place that's incredibly ideal for early morning hawg catching, as I've seen quite a few enter the area around that time. The shoreline is packed with large patches of marine grass sitting in 1-2 ft deep water, which follow the water about 10 ft into the lake, after which the water gradually becomes deeper into a 10 ft creek channel. With a sandy bottom and almost clear water, this place is perfect. The portion of the shoreline that does not have the tall grass has trivial cover, such as a section of a fence running into the water, another dock, and some light wood.

I'm thinking about using a 7" purple worm w/ an extra long tail. What size weight should be best for this thing? Should I even use a weight at all?

I just wanted to post this in case I could get any advice from you guys, because I think this is going to be a nice morning to head out.

thanks in advance,

sp
Old 03-18-06, 12:56 AM   #2
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

Dont go with a worm, remember it is the morning the bass are hungry and agressive, try something like a superfluke or spinnerbait something faster moving to get thier attention. Good luck tell us how you do.
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 01:11 AM   #3
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i have a practice for my fishing club tommorow at 10. Water is stained. im not sure of temps at all (air or water). If yall got any suggestions please tell me. What types of baits work good this time of year and what colors do yall like for stained water??
Old 03-18-06, 02:18 PM   #4
seaphantom

caught 12 14 oz bass....

I used a wightless plastic lizard

sp
Old 03-18-06, 02:21 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

was the twelve bass that weighed 14 ounces each, or one 12 pounder, 14 ounce fish seaphantom? either way its a good day wtg!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 03:00 PM   #6
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

well i caught nothing. the wind was blowing so hard i could hardly keep that little jon boat in the same place for longer than 2 seconds even with the anchor.
Old 03-18-06, 11:13 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

SP,

Sorry for the late reply, but if you are fishing at 6 am I would use topwater first and formost, until the sun comes up fully, and then I might use it for awhile still. The weightless lizard was a good choice of course, but the topwater would have been my first choice, either a buzzbait, a jitterbug, or a Pop-R, or Spook type bait.

lovin,

First off if I'm going fishing tommorrow, I make dam sure I know what the air temps are gonna be. I realize the wind really blows(no pun intended), but either get into a calmer place, or actually fishing the windblown side can be very good. Get a bigger anchor, or tie to a stump or post, or even a tree limb. If this is for your club, you should know a little more about the conditions before you get there. You have to at least have some kind of strategy, based on the conditions. For example, if the wind is supposed to be blowing 20 MPH, I'm not gonna plan on fishing a weightless worm. If the temps are gonna be 40 ish, I wouldn't throw topwater. Just have a idea of what you will be facing. Granted your strategy can go out the window, but common sense and knowledge are you freinds, let them help you catch more fish.

Lizards
Old 03-18-06, 11:24 PM   #8
seaphantom

lol, if I caught a 12lb 14oz bass, I'd have a set of pictures on here

Overall, today, I caught about 14 bass, most of them 14 ounces. None of the fish breached the 1 pound mark

came out, fished with craw immitations, only to get blown off
then, started using real worms, caught a snapping turtle
I used a 1oz brown jig w/ rattles and craw trailer as well, no luck on that.

Finally, I said screw it, and took out my lizards and worms. After this, my bucket was quickly filled with bass.

In the eve, I came out, caught two on worms. By this time, my fishing buddies set up a grill outside in their back yard. They took out 4 poles, rigged them up with minnows on bobber rigs. All of a sudden, they land a 2 pounder. Then, they banked a nice 3 pound bass. They caught a couple more after.

lol I was across the cove, looking at them and thinking "I fished all this time and all I had to do is take out some minnows" Trust me, at this lake, a 3 pound bass is gold for me!

tomorrow, waking up to tear them up again, although it's gonna be 40 degrees

one of these days, I'll hook into the grand-daddy of all 14 oz bass lol,

sp
Old 03-18-06, 11:29 PM   #9
seaphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
SP,

Sorry for the late reply, but if you are fishing at 6 am I would use topwater first and formost, until the sun comes up fully, and then I might use it for awhile still. The weightless lizard was a good choice of course, but the topwater would have been my first choice, either a buzzbait, a jitterbug, or a Pop-R, or Spook type bait.

Lizards
yeh, I've noticed that too, they were chugging stuff from the top

...too bad I didn't have my devils horse stuff w/ me, I'll be sure to take out topwater next time

thanks,

sp
Old 03-18-06, 11:35 PM   #10
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

well good luck tomorrow

i hope i do as good as you with the catfish
Old 03-19-06, 12:58 AM   #11
bassinbob

Sea Phantom fish where your buddies were fishing. Good luck.

Bob
Old 03-19-06, 01:11 PM   #12
bass kicker

i didnt go today there was snow on the ground and the weater was clod
Old 03-21-06, 07:36 AM   #13
seaphantom

Over the weekend, went fishing with just minnows, we caught 35 bass, some of them 2-3 lbs.

I can't complain, it's been a good time for me.

Also caught a 3lb bullhead

sp
Old 03-21-06, 08:02 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
SP,

lovin,

First off if I'm going fishing tommorrow, I make dam sure I know what the air temps are gonna be. I realize the wind really blows(no pun intended), but either get into a calmer place, or actually fishing the windblown side can be very good. Get a bigger anchor, or tie to a stump or post, or even a tree limb. If this is for your club, you should know a little more about the conditions before you get there. You have to at least have some kind of strategy, based on the conditions. For example, if the wind is supposed to be blowing 20 MPH, I'm not gonna plan on fishing a weightless worm. If the temps are gonna be 40 ish, I wouldn't throw topwater. Just have a idea of what you will be facing. Granted your strategy can go out the window, but common sense and knowledge are you freinds, let them help you catch more fish.

Lizards
VERY VERY good wise words there buddy. On another note took my kids out yesterday for a tournament. They love fishin against there ole man. Anyway they beat the pants off of me. It was rainiing cats and dogs and yes i did get hit in the head with a poodle. Burt to make a long story short they beat me with a lure that I had lost interest in and had given them 4 bags of Berkley Gulp black turtle worms. They between the 2 of them caught 6 keepers (15"plus fish) there best being one that weighed approx 3 1/2lbs. Just goes to show ya that anyone can be beat at anytime and by anyone. I dont claim to be the best but I didnt figure they would do so well especially with conditions as rotten as they where. I only caught 3 small fish and only one was just barley legal.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.