Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-23-08, 11:51 PM   #1
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Default "OPERATION OUTLAW" Is underway!!!

This is my other boat a Grumman Outlaw SX, that has needed a EXTREME makeover since i got her last summer ($600 was a steal in my mind, considering you cant touch a new bare bones 10ft jon boat for that price). I wanted to wait till i got another fishible boat or found a 65-80HP motor for this one (got another boat).

Step one is done Tear DOWN now on to step 2 rebuild the transom, which some idiots cut out so they could use a small outboard on it (10hp which you see) i guess they thought having a bracket made so they could use the 10HP on was to much of a hassle so they hacked the one on the boat . Anyway here are a few pix and i will post more pix as i go. Due to budget the plan is to have this one done next FEB 09 anything sooner will be a bonus.

Sorry for the last few pix that are a little blurry i will replace them tomorrow with some clearer ones.

BassMaster_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 08:13 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

wow it looks like you got your work cut out for ya there man good luck with the project
Old 07-24-08, 08:30 AM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bet that was a screamer with a 10hp on it!!!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 12:47 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When you get it down to the bare metal you will have a nice project.

If it runs, sell that old motor on ebay to help you a little. Just cause its old and little doesn't mean its worthless. Collectors like those 1950s model small outboards, they go out and put them on vintage Arkansas Travelers and the like and it reminds them of what it was like to go fishing with grandpa way back in the day.
Old 07-24-08, 01:00 PM   #5
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
bet that was a screamer with a 10hp on it!!!
ya it was lol, but surprisingly it ran it abt 6-7mph wich was to fast for about every lake we fished with it as they were mainly no wake lakes. It was Mainly for insurance so we could get back if the wind came up or had battery problems on the TM. "Any boat with any motor is better than no boat with no motor"
Old 07-24-08, 02:12 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Good luck. I hope to have a project like that one day.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 10:43 AM   #7
brushhog

Much respect to anyone who can take on that type of project... I max out at painting the living room and mowing the grass!
Old 07-26-08, 12:24 PM   #8
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Much respect to anyone who can take on that type of project... I max out at painting the living room and mowing the grass!
I hate those projects too, but boat projects are like playing to me......LOL Only regret abt this project is i dont have all the $ i need right now to buy everyhing i need to get it on the water in a month. Then again thats part of the satisfaction, knowing you had to do it a little at a time and still stayed focused and keep you eye on the end result and finished it up and it turns out how you wanted it to.
Old 07-26-08, 12:35 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

If it runs, sell that old motor on ebay to help you a little. Just cause its old and little doesn't mean its worthless. Collectors like those 1950s model small outboards, they go out and put them on vintage Arkansas Travelers and the like and it reminds them of what it was like to go fishing with grandpa way back in the day.

brother love is right the early "golden" johnson moter is VERY sought after by guys who do boat resto's.

while your at the aluminum shop gettin an added piece to your transome get one the same size as the plywood seat base. and replace the seat base/compartment cover with a 1/4" thick sheet of tin. the aluinum dont warp and go to crap after it has been wet a dozen times like ply wood will...

in the front hatch area make sure you put a drain pipe in there.

zooker
Old 07-26-08, 02:19 PM   #10
1FASTLASER

Ole zook buddy has it RIGHT as usual. Aluminum although more expensive does its job so well and so much better than wood and LASTS! Solid,will not soak up water like a sponge and it weighs ALOT less. Also if you look at is this way............you take a piece of plywood and try and prepare it for marine use you actually will spend more than the aluminum cost. By the time you by the resin to impregnate the wood and seal it resonably well a 4'x8' piece of plwood,cost of a gallon of resin and bam you just spent somwhere between 65 and 85 depending on where ya live. Try abd buy already made MARINE plwood and you gotta take out another mortage on the house. Last time I looked at marine ply it was 92 a sheet.
Old 07-26-08, 02:28 PM   #11
zooker

$105 a sheet here laser...

zooker
Old 07-26-08, 02:37 PM   #12
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

ya this project will be all aluminum no WOOD allowed, and deck will be extended back to the console and heck i might build another console and make her a Dual Console boat..... As well as adding a 3rd livewell and a 8ft rod locker and at least 5 more dry storage areas. Gonna be a big project but it will be FUN it may take a year or 2 financially but it will be worth it. Gotta get over that 16 ft mark and this boat (17F) is bought and paid for The 70 on the skeeker will be put on here and the skeeter will then be sold (might even put a jet lower unit on here for runnin in the ditches.......LOL). Gonna have some $ in this but it beats buying a NEW one, anyone can do that and i am a project finished JUNKIE i love that feeling of heyI DID THAT!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-08, 03:22 PM   #13
Carpetman
BassFishin.Com Member

This looks like a ton of fun nights out working in the garage! From a restorer's perspective, I can SEE the finished product. In planning your project, be sure to include wire chases to the bow and motor well. Those loose cables and wires sure are scary. We love using PVC for wire chases but remember, to drill an occasional drain hole in the pipe. Wires sitting in even a little bit of water will cause you big problems down the road. For some chases, we run the PVC pipe thru the table saw and cut it half, attach it to the boat with glass or metal strips, and carpet over it. Looks great and works great. Cutting it can be a little hairy! Always run at least 2 extra power wires and one ground for future accessories or leave a snake wire in the chase, marked as a dead snake wire. If you think you need a 2 inch chase, use a 3 inch!

While aluminum is great sometimes it makes the fabrication phase a little harder. By the way, marine ply is not necessary in all cases. Around our shop if the customer's budget is tight, we use exterior ply. The only difference we've found is that marine ply has no voids and no wood sap or resin. We do pick exterior that doesn't have a ton of voids and no wood resin. We then rough sand the top layer to insure that the glass will adhere. When we do use wood, there is not one screw, one tiny hole, one void that is not sealed and filled with glass, resin or marine grade sealer. (3M's 5200 is one) 90% percent of all the rot we replace seems to come from screws around the seat bases and floor drains. Plywood edges should also be sealed and double sealed.
When you rewire that boat, use a series of circuit breakers. We love having one for each pump, each major accessory, etc. This helps us find any electrical problem real easy--the circuit breaker breaks, go the source. We also like to use marine tinned wiring even on boats that stay in fresh water. Longer lasting and rarely turns green or black!
I also must wonder, why is it that all three seats are on the same seat base? Okay, everyone off their butt while I get into this storage box? What's with that? Looks like a back breaker to me. Good seats over good hatches or built up openings would be a better alternative.
Well, the rains quit, I can go fishing!
Carpetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 05:15 PM   #14
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetman View Post
I also must wonder, why is it that all three seats are on the same seat base?
Because when i got the boat it no seats at all and it was the quickest cheapest fix to get it on the water right away just cut a piece of wood screwed the seats to it and fastend to the hinges. Works fine & only is used for stuff thats rarely used. When i get it redone they will be individual not all on one hinge.

Ya with the price of aluminum it makes me wish My family still OWNED our machine shop where i could get all that stuff at COST (not the $5 a LB we are getting gouged at retail), oh the things in life we take for granted.

Last edited by BassMaster_17; 07-26-08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 01:49 PM   #15
bamabassman

where are ya at bassmaster. ifn you want to seel that motor i just might have a need for it. my dad has an old sears v-hull alum boat without a motor and i think that would be perfect for it. let me know ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 12:48 AM   #16
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
where are ya at bassmaster. ifn you want to seel that motor i just might have a need for it. my dad has an old sears v-hull alum boat without a motor and i think that would be perfect for it. let me know ok?
I am in South Dakota, Ways away from you, but if your still interested shoot me a PM!!
Old 07-29-08, 05:06 PM   #17
bamabassman

ok, i'll ask ol pop ifn he's interested.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.