Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-21-09, 04:13 PM   #26
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ahh, the light has been lit! Welcome to club baitcaster!

They are sweet. I see both reel types as tools so I never will ever fish with either type exclusively.
Old 07-21-09, 04:39 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I havent had a spinning rod in the boat in 2 years. Don't hardly ever use them. Nofear, I knew an engineer would appreciate the baitcaster once you get the hang of it, its a very mechanical feeling.

I might rig up the spinning rod to dink around with the drop shot soon, but we'll see. I've said I was gonna learn that before and never done it.
Old 07-21-09, 04:56 PM   #28
nofearengineer

Well, I will probably never totally give up spinning reels. I have three really nice St. Croix rods, and like you guys and baitcasters, I can finesse them in my sleep, and why waste that?. Basically, I will keep 7-8 rods in the boat, just to have more variety of lures for immediate use without stopping to tie on. I'm just waiting for my first big fish on a baitcaster though, because I can feel how much more robust they are.
Old 07-21-09, 06:21 PM   #29
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
lol! I know what you mean.... get confusing!

How 'bout y'all just call be Boss and let BB (144) keep his trade mark signature!

Bosstm
Lol...has Bruce Springsteen's attorney contacted you yet on your new trademark?
Old 07-21-09, 06:59 PM   #30
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Well, I will probably never totally give up spinning reels. I have three really nice St. Croix rods, and like you guys and baitcasters, I can finesse them in my sleep, and why waste that?. Basically, I will keep 7-8 rods in the boat, just to have more variety of lures for immediate use without stopping to tie on. I'm just waiting for my first big fish on a baitcaster though, because I can feel how much more robust they are.

Amen to that. Reels are just tools that provide maximum fishing pleasure.

I love my spinning setups and I ain't gonna give'em up ever.

I can't wait for your first big fish on the line with your casting rig. You will feel the winching power of a casting reel. Robust... I haven't used that word since describing my cup of coffee.
Old 07-21-09, 08:47 PM   #31
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Amen to that. Reels are just tools that provide maximum fishing pleasure.

I love my spinning setups and I ain't gonna give'em up ever.

I can't wait for your first big fish on the line with your casting rig. You will feel the winching power of a casting reel. Robust... I haven't used that word since describing my cup of coffee.
Haha..."robust" is a term engineers use all the time...it helps us tell the owner why their project is so expensive..."yeah, but this is a far more robust design!!"

By the way, IB...what is the "ARX" in your signature? I use ARX sometimes when I am writing automated CAD routines, but I fail to understand what an ARX routine would be doing in a php signature hehe.
Old 07-21-09, 09:03 PM   #32
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The more practice you get Nofear the more you will learn the feel for skipping baits and just about any crazy casting motion you want. I went straight from a Zebco 33 to a baitcaster when I was 9 years old. (round Abu reel) Took me 2 trips with my dad to get the feel for it and not backlash it every cast. I'm the opposite. I hate to use a spinning reel. I'm doing a little more finesse fishing than I use to so I'm using one more but still hate it! LOL 30 years with a baitcaster... makes it tough for me to like the spinning reel!
Old 07-21-09, 10:41 PM   #33
bamabassman

me thinks that nofear will be adding more than 8 rods to his arsenal. bait monkey is haveing a BALL with dis one. hahahahahahhahaha.
Old 07-21-09, 11:14 PM   #34
nofearengineer

Man, if I buy any more fishing rods, I'm gonna get stopped by the DNR, cause from a distance, they'll think I'm fixing to drop an unauthorized brushpile.
Old 07-22-09, 01:25 AM   #35
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Haha..."robust" is a term engineers use all the time...it helps us tell the owner why their project is so expensive..."yeah, but this is a far more robust design!!"

By the way, IB...what is the "ARX" in your signature? I use ARX sometimes when I am writing automated CAD routines, but I fail to understand what an ARX routine would be doing in a php signature hehe.
Yeah, from one former engineer to another, the adjective robust was always a choice selection to use.

As for ARX, if you know anything about the Japanese alphabet, they don't an equivalent of L or R. They have difficult pronouncing L or R or both. The best they could do to say my name Alex, was to pronounce it is a way that we would say phonetically, Ah-rex, but the R is weakly annunciated. I removed the E and shortened it to ARX and then some friends started pronouncing it like arks. The nickname stuck for a bit in college.
Old 07-22-09, 05:38 PM   #36
flfireman

I still rarely go overhead. Keep working, because my accuracy is very good side arm.
Old 07-22-09, 06:59 PM   #37
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
I still rarely go overhead. Keep working, because my accuracy is very good side arm.
Mines fairly good too...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.