Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-09, 01:14 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Double-rig swim baits

gotta make a BPS run tomorrow for some swivels and beads.....i was looking around at options and found this.....coulndt find anything on here,but has anyone fished something similar to this with good results?.....looks like it would be hard to present....i dunno.
Old 08-06-09, 01:16 PM   #2
aikenyounggun

people do this all the time around here with flukes, i have never throw em but i have watched people catch some fish on them..... i always thought they would get tangled too much to be any help, so i just stay with one fluke, but who knows
Old 08-06-09, 01:26 PM   #3
cassidyta

I have done it with flukes and smaller swimbaits. I prefer to do one on a weighted hook and one fly lined. I will usually make the weighted leader longer than the fly lined one. This will make the casting a little easier. If you need both weighted, or both flylined, then I suggest using a larger fluke on the longer leader.
Lastly, I will throw double flukes with two hooks on the same line. (Both tied with palmomar) I will wacky rig the top fluke.
Old 08-06-09, 01:26 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
people do this all the time around here with flukes, i have never throw em but i have watched people catch some fish on them..... i always thought they would get tangled too much to be any help, so i just stay with one fluke, but who knows
yea they look like aloooot of maintence is required....I've never seen it done....wonder if i used a weighted hook to swim one lower with a slow retrieve it might work better,and less tangles?......trial and error might be needed........im three days in a row of completely skunked.....lol,im getting desperate!!

cassidyta-..lol,well theres my answer!
Old 08-06-09, 03:37 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Rigged like that, I don't think swimbaits would be able to run true. Flukes and senkos would be a better bet.
Old 08-06-09, 03:41 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
Rigged like that, I don't think swimbaits would be able to run true. Flukes and senkos would be a better bet.
yea i wouldnt use them either...im not too big on swimbaits anyway....but i do have some 5'' berkley jerk shads that i cold probably use,,,thats what im thinking anyways.
Old 08-06-09, 03:41 PM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a similar rig with small gulp minnows for crappy, but i just use a surgeons knot to attach it.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 04:42 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post

I think you are correct on the swimbaits in the picture, but most hollow boded swimbait should work. (At least the smaller ones that I have thrown do)
Old 08-06-09, 06:56 PM   #9
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[yt]nDwG5Qd96dQ&feature=related[/yt]
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 07:49 PM   #10
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

It works with swimbaits. I've personally done it quite a bit. However, I use a little different rig. I use two swimbaits of slightly different sizes. The smaller bait goes on about a 3 foot leader and tied to a regular swivel. The larger is tied on about a 4 foot leader that is tied to a regular swivel. I then run my mainline through the swivel of the smaller swimbait and tie off to the swivel of the larger swimbait. (the smaller bait is now able to slide up and down the mainline freely. It works really well and rarely, if ever, tangles up.
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 10:52 PM   #11
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ya, it looks pretty cool for sure! I was watch KVD do something like it with jerk baits, he was nailing the bass........ but than again, he's KVD, the man can catch bass on freaking bare hooks!
Old 08-09-09, 04:33 AM   #12
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

KVD uses a similar rig for schooling bass except he uses zulus(Ztoo) First tie about a 8 or 10 inch piece of line to a barrel swivel and tie a hook on the other end. Second tie about a 2 foot piece of line to another barrel swivel and tie a hook on the other end. Thirdly slip the first shorter rig onto your main line coming off your reel. Then tie the barrel swivel on the longer rig to your main line.The shorter rig will slide up and down the main line but will not go past the barrel swivel on the main line.
Old 08-09-09, 05:22 AM   #13
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the world of warm water saltwater fishing, we have tandem rigs with up to a dozen large baits. These are used for large gamefish, such as billfish, dolphin (Mahi-mahi), etc. For baitfish or smaller pelagics such as Spanish Mackerel, or even some bottom-feeders such as Pompano, sabiki rigs are very effective. The rigs feature small to tiny jigs depending upon the target species, or even tiny plain gold hooks for baitfish such as Menhaden.

Yet I'm skeptical of this for large swimbaits for targeting nicely sized bass, because it allows them to get a good look at the contraption in a way that a single relatively rapidly moving bait does not. With smaller baits for actively feeding schooling bass, it's gonna be great, however.

Sabiki rigs can also be killer for freshwater panfish, such and sunfish varieties and crappie. You can make sabikis homemade using three to five small crappie jigs, or one crappie jig at the terminal end lead by three to six wet flies or comparable small plastics, or a grub jig at the terminal end lead by smaller grub jigs. Get creative!

To make a sabiki rig, cut three to seven (or sometimes more) 18 to 24 inch lengths of fluorocarbon, the lightest test that will work for your purpose. Connect them with blood knots, making sure to tie the knot such that you will leave 6 to 8 inches of tag end on one of the ends. Trim the other end, and tie a bait, say, a small jig of some sort, on each of the long tag ends. On the terminal end, you'll typically place a heavier or at least an equally heavy bait to facilitate your casting. Attach the rig to your tackle with a small swivel.

Last edited by Stew; 08-09-09 at 05:51 AM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.