Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-19-06, 10:37 PM   #1
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default does line size really matter?

i was wondering if in sorta clear water with a slight greenish tint,would 8lb line clear catch more fish than 15lb green line? i read somewhere that line color becomes a major factor in clear water with slow moving lures such as worms and jigs.i have caught around 5 bass to every 2 bass(15lb line to 8lb line)thanks!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 10:44 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Skeeter, it depends. In the water color you describe it is not that much of a factor IMO. Green line in stained water is pretty hard to see. Using braid in gin-clear water is a different story, which is why many use a flourocarbon leader.
Old 01-19-06, 11:12 PM   #3
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm sorry I'm a little confused, I the question about line size, or line color? I would say both matter in clear water where light penetrates to 8ft. deep or more. Bull Schoals you can often see 20 to 30 feet down. When I'm there I use smaller diameter line. I will use green. But prefer clear in 4lb. to 8lb. test. A lot of guys use green a lot use clear..all of them catch fish. But if i'm fishing a spook or a crank I use 12lb. clear. I think Doug Hanon suggest using a marker and coloring about 1/2" to 1" thick stripes across the spool alternating black and green, so it breaks the continuity of the line up. Of course if your line is green you just use black.
Old 01-20-06, 01:58 AM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I havent been able to tell personally a difference in line color, but I havent experimented with enough control variables to determine that sorta thing. I will say in my experience that slightly green but otherwise clear water is a good place for lighter line. I think I interpret your description of the water differently from Reb though.. In my locale the clearest water has a sorta greenish tint - its still got what I'd say 6 or 7 foot visibility and I consider that to be pretty clear. Still there are other variables, wind for instance, current, the aggresiveness of the bass, the lure type in question. All we can do is clue you in to some of the wrinkles, because there is no all around line for every situation out there. I think in your case I would go with my 6 pound P-line that I already have spooled up because I'd rather get the bites this time of year and lose a few fish to breakoffs as opposed to not getting any bites at all.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.