Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-06, 11:02 PM   #1
DBake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 7.1:1 with 31" take up...

I am wondering if anyone has used these high speed reels? What rod are you useing it on?

I am getting back in to bass fishing and going to start out with a worm/jig rod along with a crankbait rod. From there I will be looking for a finesse rod (spinning rod), topwater, and spinnerbait rod.

I am looking to go with the Falcon original series rods, with the BPS Extreme baitcast reels in left hand retreieve since I am right handed. I am having a tough time with what reel speed I should get for each of my rods. I have the optinion of chooseing 7.1:1 31" take up, 6.4:1 28" take up, and 5.4:1 23" take up.

DBake
DBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-06, 11:15 PM   #2
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

i got last years model that is a 6.3:1 28" retreive, its a nice reel. I really dont know much about what you should get for different techniques. but for crankbaits i hear that you should use a lower gear ration so id go with the 5.4:1 for that.
Old 03-15-06, 11:20 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I haven't, DBake-I use 6.3:1 for everything except spinnerbaits and lipped crankbaits. I use 5.2:1 for those two applications-the reason being I tend to fish both too fast and the lower gear ratio lets me fish them slower.
Old 03-16-06, 12:22 AM   #4
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i only have the two reb has and any rod you would use on a regular baitcasting reel would be all right
Old 03-16-06, 01:41 AM   #5
lokust
BassFishin.Com Member

I got the BPS extreme 7.1:1 reel for my birthday this past Feb.
I put it on my Kistler 7'6"H LTA rod. And I love the hell out of it.
I paired the reel with Stren Super braid(my first time using it).

I love the fact I can pull the slack in with a snap of a finger. Plus the reel has all the qualitys of a higher end reel. You don't have to be a power fisher to appreciate the high speed of the reel.

I would without a doubt purchase another BPS Extreme 7.1:1 reel.
It has been very realiable to me thus far with no complaints.
-Chris
Old 03-16-06, 02:31 AM   #6
KenDammit

I don't understand the need for such a high gear ratio. I don't know of any application that would require that much speed and it seems like there'd be far too much finessing of the handle to not move the bait so much.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 07:08 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

KenDammit

I'm with you buddy. The only 2 times I need or use the speedy retrieve reels is when flippin or using a buddys of mine creation where you need to really burn em. I even fish traps and spots on the 5.3 or 5.8 reels. When flippin I find it a plus to have a have a high retrieve rate, gets the jig or worm back faster for the next pitch or flip.
Old 03-16-06, 07:26 AM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit
I don't understand the need for such a high gear ratio. I don't know of any application that would require that much speed and it seems like there'd be far too much finessing of the handle to not move the bait so much.
Buzzbaits

Lizards
Old 03-16-06, 09:32 AM   #9
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't own one YET, but bassintxlady does, she seems to be doing quite well with hers. I agree the speedy reel may seem like overkill, but it may also has some pros as well. I would think it might be possible to "slow roll" a spinnerbait or a top water bait with even less effort than the slower reels, there by saving a bit of wear and tear on the wrist itself. That statement too may sound like a bit of an extreme, but if you fish for hours a day like we do, it could be important if you are an "seasoned fishermean" meaning an older guy like myself, and or maybe if you had bad wrists to begin with. The obvious benefit would be to keep up with fish running stright at you after setting the hook. Again, to me, the main thing is how you feel about your equipment and your offering. If you have confidence in yourself and equipment, you will increase your chances of being sucessful.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:43 AM   #10
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

For spinnerbaits and soft plastics i like to use the 7.1:1 (just my prefrance) it is the best for pitchin softplastics or even casting them , you are able to pick up line very fast, good for when you have a fish that wants to run twards you or if you have a bite on slack line. i own the new shimano curado 200d and it was one of the best investments i have made. As for crankbaits go with a low gear ratio like the 5.4:1 your wrist will thank you, if you think the 7.1:1 is too fast than go with the 6.4:1 thats the reason most people go with in now. Hope i helped!
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 01:22 PM   #11
skeeter944

i use a 6.2:1 qauntums and a 6.2:1 rhino baitcast reels and they are fine for topwaters and worms and spinnerbaits.i dont use cranks very much.it is nice when using spinnerbaits to be able to burn them over the top of the water.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 01:29 PM   #12
JB

I agree with lizards, I keep my 6:3:1 with the spook or buzzbait tied on it all year
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 03:37 PM   #13
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I bought a Quantum Burner month ago and I love it. You hit it right on the head as far as being able to pick up line quickly. I really love it for "burning" lipless cranks and spinners for smallmouth. It does have its purpose, but I mainly use my 6:3:1 Quantum AC500PT. It to me is the perfect all around reel.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 05:51 PM   #14
flbassman

Probly be good for tube lures for 'cuda Could also burn ratltraps through the grass, that can be deadly.
Old 03-17-06, 02:02 AM   #15
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

as betursweetbass said i have the new curado high speed reel....and i love it....yeah i burn them babies right to the boat...they have no time to shake that bait out of their mouths when they are really mad fish....but as he also said...."seasoned fisherman and fisherwomen"...like myself have small hands and being older it makes it nice to be able to use less effort to get the fish to the boat for me....and as for shore fishing i can cast it a good long way out and feel confident that my hands and wrists don't loose momentum getting it back to me....of course i reach down and lip it...give em a kiss and see ya later....but all in all it's a great reel....
Old 03-17-06, 06:35 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass
I don't own one YET, but bassintxlady does, she seems to be doing quite well with hers. I agree the speedy reel may seem like overkill, but it may also has some pros as well. I would think it might be possible to "slow roll" a spinnerbait or a top water bait with even less effort than the slower reels, there by saving a bit of wear and tear on the wrist itself. That statement too may sound like a bit of an extreme, but if you fish for hours a day like we do, it could be important if you are an "seasoned fishermean" meaning an older guy like myself, and or maybe if you had bad wrists to begin with. The obvious benefit would be to keep up with fish running stright at you after setting the hook. Again, to me, the main thing is how you feel about your equipment and your offering. If you have confidence in yourself and equipment, you will increase your chances of being sucessful.
As you and as well bassinlady have mentioned I can see what you are talking about and I did forget to mention that as far as the retrive rate I tried the early versions of high speed reels. Dont recall the first 7-1 rel that daiwa made but that reel alone would wear you out bringing in a 12" fish. BUT that was the early design high speed reels, not todays advanced reels with advanced gearing to make it as easy to reel in a fighting fish. The older bunch here I am sure know what I am talking about.

LIZARDS

You right ole buddy forgot them buzzbaits. Gotta have a burner for them or end up with buzzbaititis.
Old 03-17-06, 06:53 AM   #17
KenDammit

I believe I'll never change from 6.2/3:1 for any type of fishing. I can reel it just a tiny bit faster and handle speed or I can slow down and do some slow cranking.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 05:17 PM   #18
Raul

Actually many of you have fished with that and even greater pick up without noticing, those that have fished with a Stradic 2500 ( 33" ).
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.