Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-06, 08:17 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Does working with your hands make you a better angler?

So, what ya think? Have you ever noticed that the majority of better anglers on tournament trails work with thier hands for a living verses
perhaps professional white collar anglers?
Theres plenty of people that aren't blue collar that are top notch
anglers, however in my neck of the woods, the better ones are blue collar..
Any opinions?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 08:21 PM   #2
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

well people who work witht their hands probly have better developed muscles in their hands. also what do blue collar and white collar mean?
Old 07-14-06, 08:28 PM   #3
JB

White collor means like a white shirt and tie, a professional type, teacher, lawyer, doctor, soda jerk...
blue collar is laborer like my past jobs of bricklayer/fireplace builder,
Steel worker crane operater, concrete finisher...
Thats a pretty broad perspective tho, theres plenty of jobs that fall in the blue collar like service and technical too..
Old 07-14-06, 08:30 PM   #4
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

ah ok thanks for clearing that up
Old 07-14-06, 08:34 PM   #5
WTL

White collar people tend to be golfers though, and much better golfers than those used to making a living with their hands. I think the relationship is based solely on the popularity of fishing amongst blue-collar workers.
Old 07-14-06, 08:47 PM   #6
zooker

i totally agree wid billy bob.. bass fishing is a sport that is about man verus the wild beast.. golf is more man veruses the hole design.. they about even out price wise as a member ship plus green fees can be $5000 a year and they go up big time. figure a single club is about $200-average-each 11 clubs per bag. plus balls-need alot of those- 12 pack of balls is roughly $5..

yep it comes out about the same as us poor guys trying to fool mother nature..

zooker
Old 07-14-06, 08:52 PM   #7
JB

the first thing I noticed when I started tournament fishing back in the 80s, was that I was already used to working in all kinds of outdoor conditions, and many of my boaters would melt down when rain, or fowl weather hit the lake for the weekend, where I was already kinda used to having a wet face and hands all day..to me it was no big whoop....after awhile I noticed they didnt fish as hard, so that to me was an advantage..let them go through the motions so to speak..
Old 07-14-06, 09:52 PM   #8
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Think it depends on the individual regardless of occupation. My dentist definete white collar position, was raised in the sticks and muskie fishes constantly. Anyone who has ever muskie fished knows that is definetly the fish of a 1000 casts. This sorry son of a gun will wear you out to. I used to muskie fish with him some and he's just like me. There's always 1 more cast to be made but heck after 12 hours of working a 12" jerkbait that weighs about 6 oz. with a rod that's like a broom handle and a dang reel that's more like a winch you'll have forearms like Popeye. Aint no wonder he's so good at pullin teeth.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 10:23 AM   #9
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First of all, I am a golfer and a fisherman. Growing up, golf was our families sport. I played since I was about 2. Played high school and college golf and played in number tournaments. Most of that time i was about a 2 handicap. Then I kind of burned out. I moved to TX, couldnt afford to play anymore, and came back to Iowa without the desire. I bought a boat, and it was all over then. I dont think its so much as blue collar white collar, i think its a personality thing. For me, I am considered white collar. Im a network administrator for my full time job, but I love fishing. I think its all about "THE GRIND" of golf for me. Golf is work. TO be competitive at a high level, is work, no way around it. FIshing, although its a challenge, and takes practice, it never feels like work to me. It never feels like the grind that golf did. Im always on the boat, relaxed, calm, trying my best to fish my best, but when it comes down to it, its just easier.
THats my take anyway, from someone who grew up one way, and turned in to another.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 10:28 AM   #10
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

woah, im going to turn into a white collar dude. and hopefully that doesnt mean i wll be worse at fishing... i dont plan on taking up golf either. i dont know... i think doctors would have steadier hands and perhaps a little more concentration. not saying theyre better, but i think when i grow up ill be as good at fishing as anyone else.
Old 07-15-06, 10:32 AM   #11
mymomisbecky

One more thing, I do think white collar people feel a LITTLE more pressure to take up golf because its a sport that can very much further their career... I cant tell you how many people I met that have offered me very high paying jobs, while on the golf course. Thats just a fact of life though
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 11:12 AM   #12
FlyRod

Exclamation

JB!!! If I've told you once, I've told you a million times! STAY OUT OF MY MAKEUP!

Love,
Yer Spouse

That's some avatar ya' got there, JB.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 11:33 AM   #13
JB

Rats Flyrod,
I didn't think ya'd notice, I'll change jus fer U!~
Old 07-15-06, 10:35 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Not sure if it makes me a better angler, but it definately makes me a better lover

Lizards
Old 07-16-06, 08:06 PM   #15
JB

Lizards,
ya finally getting some of that "southern hospitality" rofl
Old 07-17-06, 06:26 PM   #16
zooker

yeah his left hand.. lol...

zooker
Old 07-17-06, 11:12 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
yeah his left hand.. lol...

zooker
You guys are killing me here rotflmao. By the way I'm anyisexstros

Lizards
Old 07-18-06, 11:41 PM   #18
WIbassfisherman

Teacher as a daytime job here. Put a blue-collar guy and a white collar guy on the water for the same amount of time with the same amount of knowledge and it makes not difference. Desire + Time on the Water+ application of knowledge in seasonal patterns or conditions = success. Doesn't matter if you lift a pen or a hammer.

This thread is bogus.
Old 07-19-06, 07:02 AM   #19
JB

So in effect you're saying you would gladly give up your special ed teaching job to become a angler full time, that works with his hands...whats so bogus about that?
Old 07-19-06, 09:48 AM   #20
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

I dunno JB. It's the same here. Blue collar anglers are better. But there are more of us too.

But then again, growing up my grandpa owned a campground on a major lake. He was big in the tourneys and most of the anglers stayed there or at least ate at the resteraunt. I got to know them pretty well. The Lawyers, dentists, doctors etc... spent more time on the water than the others. I only remember one time when Doc Cain won a tourney.

So I dunno. I can see where a case could be made for the blue collar boys maybe more hand eye coordination. I gotta say though I'm a brickmason and at only 36, a long day on the lake my hands are crampin a long boatride my backs killin me. After an 8 hour tourney I feel like I've been in a fight. And when I get home sometimes it like this:

My worse half: So how did you do?

ME: Got in the money.

MWH: How much?

ME: $350

MWH: Lets go to the mall.

ME: I'm really tired.

MWH: All you did was fish all day.

ME:
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 11:49 AM   #21
JB

I tend to think the ham n eggers that slave all day get off earlier than the 9-5 whitecollar guys, and have more time to fish JMO..actually this thread was only written in the first place to take some attention off everyone grippin about the newbie rofl
Old 07-19-06, 12:51 PM   #22
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I tend to think the ham n eggers that slave all day get off earlier than the 9-5 whitecollar guys, and have more time to fish JMO..actually this thread was only written in the first place to take some attention off everyone grippin about the newbie rofl
True but alot of the White collar guys can afford to take a day or two to prefish.
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 12:54 PM   #23
JB

Point well taken, I still think laborers that are used to working in all kind of conditions outside day in and out, are more used to weather changes and don't let them effect their game quiet as much....theres pro's and cons and the issue thats for sure...the best thing is that we all are passionate about bass fishing!
Old 07-19-06, 06:17 PM   #24
tko
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky
First of all, I am a golfer and a fisherman. Growing up, golf was our families sport. I played since I was about 2. Played high school and college golf and played in number tournaments. Most of that time i was about a 2 handicap. Then I kind of burned out. I moved to TX, couldnt afford to play anymore, and came back to Iowa without the desire. I bought a boat, and it was all over then. I dont think its so much as blue collar white collar, i think its a personality thing. For me, I am considered white collar. Im a network administrator for my full time job, but I love fishing. I think its all about "THE GRIND" of golf for me. Golf is work. TO be competitive at a high level, is work, no way around it. FIshing, although its a challenge, and takes practice, it never feels like work to me. It never feels like the grind that golf did. Im always on the boat, relaxed, calm, trying my best to fish my best, but when it comes down to it, its just easier.
THats my take anyway, from someone who grew up one way, and turned in to another.
I am in a very similar situation, played golf in HS, and even went to work in the golf industry as a assistant superintendent, definately blue collar work. I left the industry after about 9 yrs and became a mortgage loan officer, definitely white collar. I had eye problems last year and had to have a corneal transplant in one eye, so I basically lost all depth perception for about 8 months, which made playing golf very difficult. I took up fishing again after an 18 yr layoff and really have lost the desire to go out an play golf. I was a 6 handicap and like you said, golf seemed like more work to get good and stay good, and I know that all the time I spend on the water and learning new techniques is work as well but it definitely doesn't feel like work. I have about $1500 worth of golf equipment in my garage that I am considering selling, because I don't use it much and I think of all the fishing stuff I could get.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 06:35 PM   #25
HOG Ranger

I honestly think your chosen profession has nothing to do with it. Fishing is all about desire and will and if you have those the weather elements don't come into play.

I was blue collar for 20 years and have been white collar for the past 10. Like was posted earlier, my dentist is a muskie fisherman and a very good one.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.