Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-06-06, 01:57 AM   #1
bigboss
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to bigboss
Default spinning baits

i have a few questions. is pitching and flipping spinnerbaits productive?and if it is how do u work the spinnerbait?
bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 10:52 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The only time I pitch a spinnerbait is when there is a particular piece of cover I want to hit that is difficult to cast into. And I really only do that if the spinnerbait has proven to be the go to lure of the day. Otherwise I would use a jig n pig in that situation. As far as retrieving the spinnerbait with such a cast, I try to land it very gently in the water retriveing it as it lands so as to get the blades spinning imediately. I work it slow working my rod tip back and forth, up and down to get the bait close to and around the cover. You almost always are able to see the bait in this situation, so if I'm working around a dock or log or whatever, I will not only slowly swim the bait through the cover but yo yo it and drop it onto the shadded side of the log or stump. One bit of advice. Be carefull setting your hook. The hits usually come hard and fast which can cause you, the fisherman to react the same, which can often end up with pulling the bait out and over your head before the bass actually has it in his mouth. Give it a second to set the hook. Not easy to do since the adrenalin soars through the body at lightning speed when a hard hit in close quarters take place!!! I prefer a casting outfit with med heavy action rod of 7 foot long, with 17-20 pound line. I use mono since braided it too expensive for my pocket book. Silver thread is my line of choice.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.