Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-06, 09:35 PM   #1
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman
Default lake vs pond

I go out on a lake about ever other saturday and me and my parent's have never caught any bass at lakes but if we go to the local TINY pond we catch about 10 bass why would this be different from a lake?
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 09:42 PM   #2
mack

cause the lake is a meany..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 10:01 PM   #3
ironman

And that mean's what?
Old 08-12-06, 10:14 PM   #4
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well, in the pond, you cover almost allt he water in a few casts so the fish see the lure. In the lake, you're covering a small fraction of the water, especially if you are fishing from shore and chances are there are 1 or 2 bass swimming around in that area.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 10:26 PM   #5
ironman

ooooh. Do you guy's know any tip's to catch fish at the lakes because belive it or not I have never caught a bass at a lake. We have tryed every thing, we switch spot's every hour or so and change lures often but not to much, I have know idea what to do and my parent's want to give up because they are sick of going out and not catching anything and they want to switch to salt water fishing witch I refuse to do so their going to stop taking me if we don't start catching anything soon.
Old 08-12-06, 10:56 PM   #6
flamez

ask the locals if their catching any and how ide just start chucking everything in your tackle box untill you find what they want try using a finesse worm on light spinning gear wacky rigged see if that works
Old 08-12-06, 11:17 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

See if you can find a topo map of the lakes you fish. That will show you the structure of the lakes bottom. Take it to the bait shop in your area and ask if they can point out areas on the lake that are known to produce. Also, take the maps out on the lakes with you and mark various features on the maps. Areas like stump fields, large piers, lilly pad fields, large underwater weed beds, isolated weed beds, anything that may help decifer the lakes makeup. If you have a depth finder make notes of anything you find not shown on the map. Also, take note of the land surounding the lake and notice where there are steep banks that meet the shorline. That usually means a faster drop off rate continued into the lake. A point on land continues well into the lake. Look for a good book which explains structure fishing and how to use your maps. In time you will begin to understand how to read a lake and where the potential hotspots are. As you start catching fish, mark those areas on your lake maps and then ask yourself why the fish were where they were. You must take into consideration the time of year, and past as well as present weather conditions. You might even consider getting a small note book to keep in your tackle box to take notes of each day you go fishing. Things such as date, weather conditions, time of day, fish caught, where and how. All these things will allow you to learn and understand the hows and whys of bass fishing. Keep plugging kid!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 08:43 AM   #8
ironman

Ok, thank's for that great post keithdog. Do you know any website's were you find map's of lakes.
Old 08-13-06, 09:02 AM   #9
ironman

http://www.jimporter.org/lakes/george/lake.jpg
I found this map. What spot's do you guy's recommend and what do those thing's in the middle of the map with the dotted line around them mean?
Old 08-13-06, 09:03 AM   #10
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its easier to catch fish from a lake than it is a pond.The trick is to know when you have got to move to a different area.I would say if you have had a bite in 20 minutes, you best be movin to a new area, or get on the trolling motor and cover alot of water. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 09:06 AM   #11
ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Its easier to catch fish from a lake than it is a pond.The trick is to know when you have got to move to a different area.I would say if you have had a bite in 20 minutes, you best be movin to a new area, or get on the trolling motor and cover alot of water. P N J
Don't you mean if I don't have a bite in 20 min. to move? or did you?
Old 08-13-06, 09:26 AM   #12
pig n jig

Just seeing if you were actually paying attention to your posts.If you had a bite in 20 minutes you best be moving.Of course if you ain't had a bite in 12 minutes , you best be moving.When your on active fish, you should catch more than 1 fish per 20 minutes, most likely have more than 4 bites by then.You just had to spew some swear words because you have the reflexes of a dead cow and missed the first 2 bites before you realized it was a fish.A pond, you might fish for 3, or 4 hours before you figure out what they want.At a lake, you have thousands of fish compared to the limited amount of fish in a pond, providing you have a boat to fish more than the few spots your able to from the shoreline on the lake.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 09:45 AM   #13
ironman

when you say after 20 minutes and you don't have a bite move does that mean I should ancore for 20 minutes or troll for 20 minutes?What do you reccomend for the map on spot's to go?

Last edited by ironman; 08-13-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-13-06, 09:59 AM   #14
bassking22

I can't see the map clearly, but if there is a dam, in cooler weather, work it up and down, with a shallow crankbait, or weightless plastics. If you get nothing after that, go to the end of the dam, and parallel the riprap. The only fish I have caught on lakes, which were all in the spring, came off the dam.
Old 08-13-06, 10:17 AM   #15
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I saw the map you posted Iron and the problem with it is that is does not show you the underwater structure of the lake such as the depth structures, drop offs and so on. It's like an arial photo. I suggest going to a baitshop near the lake and ask for a Topo map of the lake. The bait shops around here all have maps of lakes in our area. Once you get the map you can start pin pointing areas likely to hold fish, such as areas where deep water lies close to shore, channels extending into the lake, under water humps which are areas where the bottom of the lake is shallower than the surrounding water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 10:19 AM   #16
ironman

Ok, thank's you guy's.
Old 08-13-06, 11:57 AM   #17
ironman

I just called all the bait shop's in the nearest 5 county's and none of them had any topo map's is thair a special website where you guy's find that stuff?
Old 08-13-06, 12:12 PM   #18
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

he means baitshop located around the lake, like within a mile or so
Old 08-13-06, 12:30 PM   #19
bassnman30

ironman, the stratement regarding 12 to 20 mins primarily covers (in my opinion) trolling down a bank and casting.
Sometimes fish may be on banks with no structure.
Old 08-13-06, 06:35 PM   #20
ironman

Do you guy's recommend trolling for 20 minutes on the little inlets or just the tip's of the spot's.

Last edited by ironman; 08-13-06 at 08:54 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.