Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-09, 03:51 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default yum dingers/ senkos

i know that throwing out a stickbait like yum dingers or senkos and letting them sink and sit is a way to catch fish. i also know that wacky rigging them is productive too. what are your favorite tchniques for fishing these baits?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 04:21 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I fish them wacky rigged or like a jerkbait.

BB
Old 05-28-09, 04:53 PM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

During the spawn or when I fish shorelines, my favorite lure is a 4 inch stickbait, usually a Yum Dinger over a Senko. I fish them exclusively Wacky rigged which makes skipping them easier, but you tear them up a lot faster.

The reason I prefer Yum Dingers over Senkos is two fold; they last a lot longer because they don't fall apart so fast, and you get 15 per pack rather then 10 Senkos per pack.
Old 05-28-09, 05:09 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

T-rigging it with gentle hops along the bottom or like a jerk bait .

Jim
Old 05-28-09, 05:12 PM   #5
JB

wacky rigged and I've seen ppl swim them back in wacky rigged, using gentle tugs and pulls. I have really gotten away from plastics and need to get back into throwing them
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 05:29 PM   #6
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
wacky rigged and I've seen ppl swim them back in wacky rigged, using gentle tugs and pulls. I have really gotten away from plastics and need to get back into throwing them
Same here. I'm making a real concerted effort this year to use more soft plastics rather then trying to force the hard stuff to put fish in the boat.
Old 05-28-09, 05:34 PM   #7
Bassboss

Truth be told, I've never used a senko, but have dingers, wave worms, etc! Out of all of them, I like Dingers, I used them like a jerkbait, and wacky rig them, so times I'll let them sink all the way to the bottom and pull 'em up. But watch the line when it's sinking, the bass with hit it a lot then!
Old 05-28-09, 06:05 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

I've been using WaveWorms TikiStiks, with good success. Before we went to Kentucky, I got some of the jen-you-wine Senkos to try them out. I like my TikiStiks better. They're a little more durable, they do the slow wiggle on the fall better, and, most importantly, I've caught fish on them, but I've caught nary a single bass on a Senko.

Wait, what was the question? Oh, tactics....gotcha....

I like them T-rigged weightless, so they'll shimmer on the way down, and hang in the fish's face longer to trigger a strike. I like them in and around grass, stumps, laydowns, pretty much any cover. I cast just beyond the targeted cover, so that the drag from the line will pull it gently towards me, right against the cover. Sometimes the slow presentation works, sometimes I pop and jerk it for a more erratic action. It just depends.
If there's much wind, I usually swap to a weighted worm or lizard, but the TikiStik kills in calmer water. I use a 7' medium action spinning rod, 12# Berkley Big Game mono. In a perfect world, I might use 10 or even 8# line, but I like a little heavier line for other applications on that same rod.
Old 05-28-09, 06:09 PM   #9
BassinID

Texposed, weightless, cast it up to structure in shallow structure or overhanging cover. If the bass are back in the overhanging cover, add a nail weight or a small split shot into the back 1/3 of the senko.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 06:11 PM   #10
BassinID

a cool trick that I just tried yesterday is to glue 1/2 of a floating worm to 1/2 of a senko and texas rig it, it will fall either nose or tail first depending how you rig it.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:05 PM   #11
DelaWhere
BassFishin.Com Member

On Monday i tried a senko on a shakey head and wow... I caught about 5 before the storm came. I dont know if anyone else has done this or has had great success.
DelaWhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:26 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Forgot to mention that senko's are a great dropshot bait. Personally, I'm not paying for senko's. I've got a pack of Nemesis ones that I was given and other than that, I use mostly YUM Dingers. Watermelon Candy beging a favorite color.

BB
Old 05-28-09, 08:32 PM   #13
keithdog

I like the Tiki Sticks from WaveWorms. ^5 MississippeeBoy. I prefer them T rigged and weightless. One thing I do which seems to work really well is let the worm fall to the bottom and rest there for several seconds motionless. I then take hold of the line in one hand with my fingertips and give the line little tugs while holding the rod still. I think when the worm falls and rests motionless on the bottom, the bass move in to take a good look. Then the little tugs of the line make the worm inch along and shiver. I think that drives those bass nuts when they see that. One technique I never seem to like is the wacky worm rig. That exposed hook grabs everything within 20 feet of it. Ok, thats a bit of exaggeration I know but it seems that way. I for the life of me don't know how guys who fish the wacky rig do it without dragging every weed back with the worm.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 09:27 PM   #14
BigBassin144

keithdog, I use these when I wacky rig in weeds.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...SUDS-GFWH.html

BB
Old 05-28-09, 11:24 PM   #15
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
last saturday i decided that i would try that and i did, first cast with it, BAM, i got a 2 lbr
sorry no pictures though
Old 05-29-09, 04:51 PM   #16
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
T-rigging it with gentle hops along the bottom or like a jerk bait .

Jim
This...
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 04:56 PM   #17
toppwatr

cool, thanks guys! now what would be the best way for shorefishing, or fishing from a dock? wacky? texas? other?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 05:29 PM   #18
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppwatr View Post
cool, thanks guys! now what would be the best way for shorefishing, or fishing from a dock? wacky? texas? other?

All of the above ....

Nuff said .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 08:26 PM   #19
keithdog

I've seen wire weedgaurd hook before bigbassin but never that style hook which is what I would use for wacky rigging, thanks
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 08:34 PM   #20
bamabassman

ditto to jim80.
Old 05-30-09, 07:55 AM   #21
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
keithdog, I use these when I wacky rig in weeds.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...SUDS-GFWH.html

BB
NICE! That's what I'm talking about. I need those, thanks for sharing. You rock BB
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 09:09 AM   #22
aikenyounggun

straight up the most thing i ever caught fish on is a wacky worm... usually just zoom worms, but sometimes i use senkos and they work great (when i say senkos i mean all the brands, usully wave worm)...... also if i want that slow fall and make it weekdless ill texas rig it with no weight and it has basically the same fall as a wacky worm and it catches fish (fish it like a wacky worm)....
i have had some success with them on texas and carolina rigs
Old 05-30-09, 12:15 PM   #23
Bender

I tried those Gammy Weedless Wide Gaps last Tuesday night in a tournament after hearing lots of people use them. Lost two fish right off the bat, one was hooked good and he threw it when he jumped, cut that hook off and went back to my usual. I will never use them again, would rather pick weeds off than lose fish. Still won the tournament BTW.
I use Daiichi Catch and Release Wacky Hook D48Z, 2/0 and dead stick them mostly.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 12:50 PM   #24
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have tried them both ways, but I prefer to fish them like a fluke texposed. It's hard for me to dead stick a wacky with my patience. I tried Kinami (Spelled?) until I found out they are Yamamato's son mass production brand and I read they are the same bait at a less price, but they have less per pack. Good stradegy there. So now I pay attention to quantity. I also like Gander Mnts brand. They are reasonably priced and fairly durable.
Old 05-30-09, 06:31 PM   #25
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
During the spawn or when I fish shorelines, my favorite lure is a 4 inch stickbait, usually a Yum Dinger over a Senko. I fish them exclusively Wacky rigged which makes skipping them easier, but you tear them up a lot faster.

The reason I prefer Yum Dingers over Senkos is two fold; they last a lot longer because they don't fall apart so fast, and you get 15 per pack rather then 10 Senkos per pack.
joel,get bill m's wacky rig tool.you will go through a lot less baits that way.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.