Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-28-09, 11:37 PM   #1
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Propulsion Line Management System a Marketing Gimmick?

Does anyone know if the Shimano Propulsion Line Management System works or is it just a Marketing Gimmick?

From what I can tell:
Paladin is just a aluminum drive gear.
Aero Wrap II is just a worm gear.
S-Arm Cam looks like a bail arm to me.
The SR One-Piece Bail Wire - this one does look good to me.
The New spool (on left) compared to old design - Will the new design cause more Spider Webs due to more line coming off?
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 11:41 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The spool LOOKS like a good idea-we'll see.
Old 05-28-09, 11:42 PM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Propulsion line management system is a combination of the spool lip, the no contact bail arm, and the design of the line roller. In my opinion none of the above features are crap, just marketed a little too well. IMO the new shimano reels are the best out there, with a possible exception for the new diawa reels, but that only includes the really expensive ones like the fuego or steez.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 12:09 AM   #4
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought a Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel last year.

This year the new one's are Orange! Yuck!!!

It's ok, but the line keeps wraping around the bail arm for some odd reason.

Last edited by EastTexas; 05-29-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 07:36 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

BassinID, I read on tackle tour that the Daiwa Tierra spinning reel is about the same performance wise as the much more expensive Sol. And speaking of a reel that's hyped up too much, the Steez is overrated in my opinion.

BB
Old 05-29-09, 07:38 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
I have Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel go bought last year.

This year the new one's are Orange! Yuck!!!

It's ok, but the line keeps wraping around the bail arm for some odd reason.
But you're talking about a 50 dollar reel here, while you're talking about the Stella, a 600-700 reel.

BB
Old 05-29-09, 09:23 AM   #7
nofearengineer

The reasoning behind all of these features seems to be sound, but are they worth a lot of extra cost? I guess it depends on personal preference, but for my money, the skill of the angler is about a hundred times more important. I mean cummon...I can't remember ever thinking to myself, "gosh, if I could just get this spinning reel to cast farther." Accuracy is just so much more important, and it has very little to do with the reel.
Old 05-29-09, 01:28 PM   #8
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The reasoning behind all of these features seems to be sound, but are they worth a lot of extra cost? I guess it depends on personal preference, but for my money, the skill of the angler is about a hundred times more important. I mean cummon...I can't remember ever thinking to myself, "gosh, if I could just get this spinning reel to cast farther." Accuracy is just so much more important, and it has very little to do with the reel.
What he said... But if I had the money to burn I'd buy them all anyway!!!
Old 05-29-09, 01:54 PM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
What he said... But if I had the money to burn I'd buy them all anyway!!!
You and me both brush .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 06:07 PM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
You and me both brush .

Jim
That's called the Bait Monkey Syndrome, something we all suffer from! Count me in.
Old 05-30-09, 03:19 PM   #11
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a buddy that has one of those Steez spinning reels, I see absolutely no difference in that and the $60 Quantum Kinetic or my $129 Abu Soron I have. We both are fishing it on the same rod (7'2" M ds/sh rod) and the same line (8lb Sufix flouro) I don't do a lot of drop shotting so the Kinetic is on my DS rod, and I use a shakey head a lot so the Soron is on that rod, they are both on the same rod. It doesn't cast better or more accurately, the drag is about the same, it is a bit lighter, but were talking about a $419 difference in price between that and the Kinetic. I figured I would notice at least a slight difference. I guess when you have the dough to shell out on whatever you want, you inevitebly will buy more expensive stuff, but this was a serious lesson to me in the marketing and advertisement market. I'll take my Soron over the steez any day, and I guess in the long run, something that costs more doesn't always make it better. (kinda like Bandit crankbaits, inexpensive, but some of the best baits out there)
Old 05-30-09, 05:47 PM   #12
BcolbyJ
BassFishin.Com Member

Bought the 09' Shimano Symmetre 4000FJ in late February. Hands down the best casting spinning reel I have used. Coupled with a 7ft. med action Diawa rod and 30 lb. Power Pro braided, and I can cast a weightless plastic further than I ever imagined I would be able to or really ever need to. Tried 14 lb. mono just to see if the results were the same and they were. We are talking about $100 for the smoothest and best casting midpriced reel I have tried in my opinion (a bit heavy though, even for the 4000). Older Shimano reels I own do not have this feature and do not produce nearly the same results. Although I havent tried a large variety of brands when it comes line management systems, I can tell you, Shimano's works.
BcolbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:24 PM   #13
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks for taking the time test the reels this is REAL Info we can all use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I have a buddy that has one of those Steez spinning reels, I see absolutely no difference in that and the $60 Quantum Kinetic or my $129 Abu Soron I have. We both are fishing it on the same rod (7'2" M ds/sh rod) and the same line (8lb Sufix flouro) I don't do a lot of drop shotting so the Kinetic is on my DS rod, and I use a shakey head a lot so the Soron is on that rod, they are both on the same rod. It doesn't cast better or more accurately, the drag is about the same, it is a bit lighter, but were talking about a $419 difference in price between that and the Kinetic. I figured I would notice at least a slight difference. I guess when you have the dough to shell out on whatever you want, you inevitebly will buy more expensive stuff, but this was a serious lesson to me in the marketing and advertisement market. I'll take my Soron over the steez any day, and I guess in the long run, something that costs more doesn't always make it better. (kinda like Bandit crankbaits, inexpensive, but some of the best baits out there)

Thanks for taking the time test the reels this is REAL Info we can all use. I don't have money to burn so I make the most educated choice I can with the given info on hand.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.