Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-17-09, 02:49 AM   #1
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Question for Capt.Mike/catfishermen

Well, I am planning on heading out for my first catfishing trip of the year. I will be fishing a big river, which usually has moderate to fast current. The flow is currently at 65,000 cfs from 45,000 cfs. The water temp is 55 degrees f. I will be targeting channel cats and am planning on trying chicken livers and cutbait. If anyone has experience and would like to suggest the best types of water and depths to look for, as well as non-live bait suggestions or rigging tips for this time of year I would appriciate it. (its illeagle to use live bait here)
Also I will be fishing about one two three miles up from the confluence of another large river, where both turn into the backwater for a resevoir.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 02:14 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, the flow volume doesn't mean much unless we know the cross-sectional area of the river channel.

While not classic catfishing technique, I always did well using a surf bait rig. Think carolina rig, except a heavier weight, maybe even a pyramid sinker, depending on how fast the current is, and what kind of bottom you have. If it's muddy, and you can get the weight to sink into the mud (not snag, mind you), you can play the bait out as far as you want and still keep the line reasonably tight while the bait floats around in the current.
Old 05-19-09, 05:31 PM   #3
superbass
BassFishin.Com Member

catfish1 is a great site for catfishing.And lots of people seem to like, secret 7 catfish bait.
superbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 06:06 PM   #4
BassinID

Thanks Guys, as for a rig, I am using a long-cast bait casting rig when fishing from bank. I fish a no roll slip sinker. I tried chicken liver and cut bait, as well as some dough bait, but I think I was on too much of a flat, I was just being freaking attacked by 9-14" squa....pikeminnow . Gotta love political correctness. No catfish, although I think my brother hooked into a big sturgeon that gave up a nice fight before his leader broke.
Old 05-20-09, 03:01 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am sorry I missed this one..

There are two schools of thought on catfish. Dropper style and fishfinder style.

Dropper style works real well in rocky rivers. The more flow the longer you make the weight leader and the shorter the hook leader.

Fishfinder rigs used for surf fishing (Blue/yellow) work better that those cheap ones (black/white). This rig works very well for shore fishing with a short leader. And it casts better with a 10 inch leader.

Hooks are kahle or circle offset.

Best bait for channel's are mud shad cut in strips. Scale and filet the mud shad and cut into inch wide strips top to bottom. Second best is salted shinners on a Kahle.

Beads should be used between the swivel and the fishfinder.

Weights vary depending on bottom. Avoid pyamids. Bank sinkers pounded flat work good to. Rubber tube weights are the bomb for rocky rivers from shore. If fishing from a boat on a fast river with big rocks use a coat hanger weight.

There is so much more to catfishing than just stink bait.

Capt Mike
Old 05-20-09, 03:07 PM   #6
BassinID

Thanks mike and I totaly agree that there is much more to it than stink bait I don't believe that I have ever heard of these fishfinders, are they known by any other names, or do you have a website by chance? Also, what type of water would you target this time of year?
Old 05-20-09, 03:10 PM   #7
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Well, the flow volume doesn't mean much unless we know the cross-sectional area of the river channel.
Not just that, but the bottom composition as well. The larger the aggregate the thicker the section slow water at the bottom.
Old 05-20-09, 03:18 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The dropper uses a threeway.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/barlows...es/301175b.jpg

The heavy duty fishfinders are a little tricky to find.

Most surf tackle shops have them in a Red Hot jar up at the register.

This is what it looks like.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.