Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-28-13, 03:41 PM   #26
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just FYI for Mboy, you didn't make it last year but the water then was not like it was the year before. I think that had something to do with the difference between the lures that worked each year. Last year most of the water I found was cloudy & green, not clear. I'm sure that had something to do with the top water bite but in the same vein, spinnerbaits didn't work in the cloudy water - which surprised me. In 2012 you could see bottom in 10' of water and a fish on could be seen fighting 20' from the boat and 5' down - that was fantastic, but not last year. Most of the water I found you could not see 3' and I think the fish held much tighter to cover. Your jig may have been bigger producer last year (than 2012) but I don't know because I seldom fish one.

I'm just mentioning the water clarity issue as that would likely make a difference on which lures to try. Dale Hollow is know for gin (or vodka, my preference) clear water but we didn't have it last year. Preparation for a long distance trip is not easy, and when the actual conditions upon arrival are not like the normal, clarity, lake level, etc. etc. it only makes it more so. Bottom line, it's a crap shoot on what to take, so take it ALL and sort it out after you get there, because as last year proved (to me, at least) what was hot the previous year could have been left at home and what you may have considered leaving at home - was exactly what was needed.

I'm thinking that if the water is clear like 2012, top water and traps (natural color, less flash) would be my first choice along with a swim jig, as Daniel mentioned, fished in more open water. If it's cloudy and green like 2013, then I would depend upon plastics, a jig, (finesse plastics would also be up there) and fish them around cover, especially wood. As for plastic swim baits, I think Woody had luck with them last year, I did not and I tried several types and sizes.

As for other "popular" smallie lures - I had many along but didn't try them and I can't say why other than I was doing OK with my Senko and just didn't bother to try something when I had a lure that was producing and the fact I just could not give up on the poppers (I wasted a good bit of time trying to get one on a top water). I wish I would have tried some other "small mouth lures" like an in-line spinner, fluke, tube, hair jig, shaky head, or drop shot, but I didn't. I didn't hear of anyone else trying them so I didn't bother either, which may have been a mistake, I don't know.

One last note - last year I did manage a few smallmouth on top water, but unlike the previous year where they were caught along stone walled banks, I caught rising smallies in deep water (30' - 40') well off the banks in the early morning - PRICELESS!! Ron & Alan remember - right? - mist still on the water as I pulled into "MY SPOT" and found Ron and Alan already there and they snapped this picture as I pulled up.

Dale is a beautiful body of water, if nothing else!

One of those rising smallmouth caught offshore. You can see how we're sitting in the middle of the creek. Ron & Adam were fishing the opposite bank. My favorite popper - Lucky Craft G-spash!!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-28-13 at 04:02 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 07:23 PM   #27
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Thanks for the info!
Although our water around here is amazingly clear as well, so maybe it's a different reason.

Love that commercial btw!
Old 10-29-13, 11:58 AM   #28
woody

I found this report by Keith Palmiero of SmallyChasers Guide Service. He wrote this on 04/05/2012. His report will give us an idea of what to expect next Spring. My take is that it will all depend on the type of winter and spring this region will experience, leading up to our time on the water.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith Palmiero writes:
There are a ton of questions going around the forum about the fishing this spring as well as a few other topics I would like to touch on. I will try my best to answer the questions I have been getting as well as my opinion on this spring.
First off the spring. Anyone that has fished Dale long enough knows that the more severe winter we have the better the spring fishing. The more mild the weather, the harder it is. This is because of water temperature. When we go into the prespawn with warmer than normal temps, fish move up slowly in small waves. Bass don't go just by water temp to spawn, they go by daylight hours as well. You also have to throw in the gestation period of the eggs. All Bass don't spawn at once due to the gestation period. Just like some mothers don't carry their children to term and some do. But, when the water temps are right early, the ones that are ready in egg development go on the nest. The others know that water temps are right, but their bodies are not. So, in warm springs / winters like this, we have small waves of fish pushing up shallow to feed for the spawn and to spawn.
Now if we have a severe winter, the water temps don't get right for the fish to spawn till late into the spring. So, now the daylight hours are right to the fish and egg development on most of them as well. SO, when the water temps get right, they all push up and once. This causes a feeding frenzy of most fish. So, for a couple weeks people catch fish like crazy. Everyone catches fish. So everyone thinks it was a great spring.
This year is going to be all spread out with some really good days and really tough days. But we all plan our vacations for when we THINK is the best time because we have to. We fish when we can fish. There will be really good times and really tough times.
The other thing is with the really warm water temps (low 70s) the females are staying deeper till it is time to spawn. Then they are pushing up, spawning, and moving right back deep. They are not going to hang around and feed like they do in cooler temps. This is typical of a warm spring. The females don't hang around. The males will stay up for a while, but not the girls.

As far as helping people on smalljaw. I understand totally what Rick was trying to say. What MORE can we do to help and I understand what Matt was saying as well. Here is my take. People spend a ton of money to come down here and fish. Some guys spend a ton of money several times a year to come down and fish and put in a TON of time. Time equals money. SO, it is up the individual to give out how much he or she wants to. Some might not think it is fare to give information to someone that comes twice a year and doesn't put their time in. Well, whether I agree or not, it is their perogative. I get countless emails and phone calls and text messages every single day. I do my best to answer everyone's question the best I can. Joe said it right, there are no secret spots, but boat position is everything. Every single hump, flat, and red clay bank has sweet spots. Learning these sweet spots can only be done by time on the water, and time on the water equals money. Put in the time and spend the money and you will figure it out. It is totally up to the individual on what we give out. I can be fishing an offshore hump and watch people go by and stop. Now when they stop, they are out in the middle of the lake over 100 feet of water. They are not fishing, they are watching me. Now, some know my boat and know it is me, some don't. They just think this guy must know something being all the way out here. When I leave, here they come. Looking it over on their graph. We laugh. My clients ask, doesn't that bother you?? I say no, not at all. If their boat is 10 feet in the wrong direction, they won't get bit. It is just simple as that. So, I don't worry about giving information. Plain and simple.

Keith Palmiero
SmallyChasers Guide Service
USCG Certified
www.smallychasers.com
270-925-8924
Horse Creek Resort
Big Hammer Swimbiats
Punisher Lures
All Pro Rods
Steelshad.com

Last edited by woody; 10-29-13 at 05:15 PM.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 05:58 PM   #29
MallenManson

Great find, woody!
Old 10-30-13, 05:27 PM   #30
woody

Thanks! I found it over on smalljaw.com/forum/default.asp
I put the keyword APRIL in the search engine under his username. This guy spends an incredibly amount of time on Dale and is very well respected. As a matter of fact it was his report I posted over on Don's Smallie thread.

-Mark
Old 11-01-13, 07:57 PM   #31
nobass

i was thinking that the week after the full moon would be better . when bass spawn they don't eat. so trying to get them when spawning would not be best time to fish. also i think we need to have a head count by late nov. also what dates would be best so we can have max turnout
Old 11-01-13, 10:03 PM   #32
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Thanks! I found it over on smalljaw.com/forum/default.asp
I put the keyword APRIL in the search engine under his username. This guy spends an incredibly amount of time on Dale and is very well respected. As a matter of fact it was his report I posted over on Don's Smallie thread.

-Mark
I've been readin some Headrick stuff lately ; )
Old 11-02-13, 03:50 PM   #33
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
i was thinking that the week after the full moon would be better . when bass spawn they don't eat. so trying to get them when spawning would not be best time to fish. also i think we need to have a head count by late nov. also what dates would be best so we can have max turnout
O.K. then, that would be the week of April 20 through 26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I've been readin some Headrick stuff lately ; )
Headrick knows his shi...stuff!

-Mark
Old 11-02-13, 07:19 PM   #34
bcklash

Quote:
O.K. then, that would be the week of April 20 through 26.

-Mark
That week be good for us.
Old 11-03-13, 12:27 AM   #35
bassboogieman

4/20/14 is Easter, just sayin'. I do NOT travel on holiday weekends, especially towing a boat (or kayak). That's not saying that I'm planning on going to Dale Hollow in 2014, just an FYI that that arrival weekend happens to be Easter weekend.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 07:17 PM   #36
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
4/20/14 is Easter, just sayin'. I do NOT travel on holiday weekends, especially towing a boat (or kayak). That's not saying that I'm planning on going to Dale Hollow in 2014, just an FYI that that arrival weekend happens to be Easter weekend.
I will be arriving Wednesday the 23rd. Arrival days usually vary among us.

-Mark
Old 11-04-13, 10:24 PM   #37
MallenManson

Most likely the 24th for me
Old 11-07-13, 02:44 PM   #38
woody

There are only two bedrooms and two sleeper sofas remaining in the Harbor House.. or should I say The Animal House! hahaha

-Mark
Old 11-08-13, 10:46 PM   #39
MallenManson

Quote:
there are only two bedrooms and two sleeper sofas remaining in the harbor house.. Or should i say the animal house! Hahaha

-mark
toga!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-13, 08:22 PM   #40
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
toga!!!!!!!!
hahahaha!!

notoga! notoga! notoga! hahaha!

-Mark
Old 11-10-13, 04:32 PM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
hahahaha!!

notoga! notoga! notoga! hahaha!

-Mark
After further thought....I agree.
BF members wearin nothing but sheets......ugh.....
Old 11-17-13, 03:00 PM   #42
bamabassman

hey mark and the rest of you folks. like i stated before....lisa and i are PRAYING AND PLANNING TO ATTEND. just have to wait to be sure we can according to my work. we are SUPPOSED to be through by marck/april. so april 20-26 just might be good. i WILL let you know ASAP GANG!!
Old 11-18-13, 07:50 AM   #43
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey mark and the rest of you folks. like i stated before....lisa and i are PRAYING AND PLANNING TO ATTEND. just have to wait to be sure we can according to my work. we are SUPPOSED to be through by marck/april. so april 20-26 just might be good. i WILL let you know ASAP GANG!!
Great, John! We can't ask you for any more than that.

And Don, I believe that leaves just one more bedroom available in the Harbor House, plus two pullout couches, right?

-Mark
Old 11-18-13, 07:55 PM   #44
nobass

that sound about right on beds i would like to have a postive date for i was thinking 22 to 26 april for reservation anyone coming earlier let me know by 1 jan 2014
Old 12-11-13, 06:15 PM   #45
woody

bump......
Old 12-11-13, 07:36 PM   #46
nobass

Thumbs up

got a update. gene austin the guide i used last year will meet with us on the thursday night and talk on how to fish the lake, the baits that work best . . he will also answer any questions you have. all he is charging is a steak dinner which i will supply. you can check him out on the cedar hill resort web site under fishing guides. real nice guy and was born on that lake and has fished it all his life.
Old 12-11-13, 07:42 PM   #47
woody

Great! Thanks for setting this up, Don.

-Mark
Old 12-11-13, 08:12 PM   #48
nofearengineer

Sounds awesome, nobass. Good work!
Old 12-12-13, 01:00 PM   #49
woody

As the time gets closer, maybe we can make plans on grilling out that Thursday night. We could do steaks, bugers, brats.. you know, whatever we all decide upon.

-Mark
Old 12-12-13, 06:28 PM   #50
nofearengineer

Quote:
As the time gets closer, maybe we can make plans on grilling out that Thursday night. We could do steaks, bugers, brats.. you know, whatever we all decide upon.

-Mark
And I wish a certain Hoosier could actually succeed in catching more than one scrawny walleye!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.