Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-10, 03:05 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What size spinning reel?

I'm looking at spinning reels on e-bay, but I don't really know what size to get, I've seen 100's, 300's, 400's. I like a little bit smaller spinning reels, as they're lighter, but "average" is good.

Also some of them are not really marker properly and dont have the size advertised, but they do have line capacity. 8/135 good enough?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-06-10, 04:30 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The average 2000 size spinning reel holds about 140yds of 8lb test. I Think that's plenty. My two spinning reels are an Pflueger Supreme 8030MG and an Abu Garcia Cardinal 301.

Pflueger's sizes are different than other companies, and even different within the different series of reels. The Supreme 8030 is a bit smaller than a normal 2000 size reel. I use it with 8lb fluorocarbon and haven't had any problems.

My Cardinal 301 is a Cardinal 300 series reel in a 1000 size. I use 10lb braid (w/ a fluoro leader) for my dropshots on this reel. I like the small reel because it's light weight, although the Supreme is very light for its size, being a magnesium reel). with 10lb braid, a 1000 sized reel is plenty room for backing and enough braid to work with.

For normal mono/fluoro applications, I'd stick with a 2000 or 2500. I've got my eye on a new spinning reel for dropshots and am looking at a Supreme 3025 (which is a very small reel) or a Daiwa spinning reel in a 2000.

BB
Old 02-06-10, 06:25 PM   #3
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A reel that hold 135/8lb would be excellent for drop-shot rigs, small soft stick baits, finesse worms, things like that. If you're using it just as an overall fishing reel for spinnerbaits, crankbaits, Texas-rigged worms, etc then you'll need one that has a line capacity closer to 120/12lb or maybe even slightly bigger.
Old 02-06-10, 08:55 PM   #4
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have two of the Pflueger 6735's (presidents) and one 6730 (president) and a 2500 Shimano. I like the bigger reels.

After talking with KVD and finding out he uses all 40 series Quantum’s it made me want to get a bigger reel. The reason for it if you use Fluorocarbon line it won't jump as easily with a larger spool.

As for the weight of the reel if you think that it's too heavy, go to the gym and work out.

My next round of new spinning reels will all be Shimano 3000's.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 11:40 PM   #5
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I've always found that the 2500 series reels are a good compromise between weight and capacity.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 08:47 AM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks for the help guys! Really helps. And do you think that 6/110 would be to little even if I did use 8lb?

And btw, Charlie, I just use spinning reels for finesse, I have casting reels for all that other stuff!
Old 02-07-10, 10:46 AM   #7
BigBassin144

That's a tough one boss, that's about a 1000 size reel if I'm not mistaken. I don't think I'd put 8lb fluoro on a reel that small. I'd try to look for a 2000 or maybe even 2500 size reel. You could use 10lb braid on it, if the rod you're getting has good enough guides.

What reel are you looking at?

BB
Old 02-07-10, 11:00 AM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
That's a tough one boss, that's about a 1000 size reel if I'm not mistaken. I don't think I'd put 8lb fluoro on a reel that small. I'd try to look for a 2000 or maybe even 2500 size reel. You could use 10lb braid on it, if the rod you're getting has good enough guides.

What reel are you looking at?

BB
This 'un here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ambassadeur-Abu-...item2c52ecbb88

btw, I was looking at the forum sponsor fish freak online, and found a GREAT deal on a daiwa terria! only 30 bucks!
Old 02-07-10, 11:10 AM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would say go with the 2000 or 2500. That's what I like.
Old 02-07-10, 11:55 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
This 'un here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ambassadeur-Abu-...item2c52ecbb88

btw, I was looking at the forum sponsor fish freak online, and found a GREAT deal on a daiwa terria! only 30 bucks!
Can't seem to find it. got a link?

BB

P.S. I may have a Cardinal 102 I can sell you if you want to go to a bigger reel.
Old 02-07-10, 07:50 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
The average 2000 size spinning reel holds about 140yds of 8lb test. I Think that's plenty. My two spinning reels are an Pflueger Supreme 8030MG and an Abu Garcia Cardinal 301.

Pflueger's sizes are different than other companies, and even different within the different series of reels. The Supreme 8030 is a bit smaller than a normal 2000 size reel. I use it with 8lb fluorocarbon and haven't had any problems.

My Cardinal 301 is a Cardinal 300 series reel in a 1000 size. I use 10lb braid (w/ a fluoro leader) for my dropshots on this reel. I like the small reel because it's light weight, although the Supreme is very light for its size, being a magnesium reel). with 10lb braid, a 1000 sized reel is plenty room for backing and enough braid to work with.

For normal mono/fluoro applications, I'd stick with a 2000 or 2500. I've got my eye on a new spinning reel for dropshots and am looking at a Supreme 3025 (which is a very small reel) or a Daiwa spinning reel in a 2000.

BB

Exactly right on the Pflueger sizing. I ordered an 8030 online last year to use for crank baits. Due to the smaller size, it went on a finesse rod.
Ended up picking up an Exceler 2500 for cranks, which is just right
Old 02-07-10, 11:55 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Check out what I found. This was from a poll in a Japanese fishing magazine.

Top ten spinning reels of the year as voted on by readers of the magazine.

Spinning Reels
#1 Shimano Stella
#2 Daiwa Luvias
#3 Daiwa Caldia KIX / Caldia
#4 Shimano New Biomaster
#5 Shimano Twin Power
#6 Daiwa Exist
#7 Pflueger Supreme XT
#8 Daiwa Ignis
#9 Shimano New Twin Power Mg
#10 Shimano New Ultegra

Some of these came as no suprise, being the high end reels by Shimano and Daiwa, some in the $600-750 range. but take a look at number 7. Pflueger Supreme XT.

Quite a shocker, seeing a $130 reel in the mix, and a US model at that.

BB
Old 02-08-10, 12:40 AM   #13
basstech

I would match the reel to the rod and baits/techniques you plan on using it for. I've got 4 spinning rod setups for bass fishing and use three differnt reel sizes. My latest is a Dropshot/shakey head rod that is 6'10" med power with a fast tip. I'm using a Stradic 2500 with 6,8, and 10 lb flouro. I may change some things by summer or fall but so far it's been a really good setup. The main thing is you want to have a good balance point where you hold the rod. That helps really helps a number of things.
Old 02-08-10, 09:17 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Nice find, BigB! Very interesting
Old 02-08-10, 09:29 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Check out what I found. This was from a poll in a Japanese fishing magazine.

Top ten spinning reels of the year as voted on by readers of the magazine.

Spinning Reels
#1 Shimano Stella
#2 Daiwa Luvias
#3 Daiwa Caldia KIX / Caldia
#4 Shimano New Biomaster
#5 Shimano Twin Power
#6 Daiwa Exist
#7 Pflueger Supreme XT
#8 Daiwa Ignis
#9 Shimano New Twin Power Mg
#10 Shimano New Ultegra

Some of these came as no suprise, being the high end reels by Shimano and Daiwa, some in the $600-750 range. but take a look at number 7. Pflueger Supreme XT.

Quite a shocker, seeing a $130 reel in the mix, and a US model at that.

BB
Wow! That's really cool! Check this out, even cooler!

Oh, and the link you wanted.

http://www.fishfreakonline.com/tedatisprod.html
Old 02-08-10, 09:56 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Not a bad deal on the Supreme, although it's normally only 129.99, not 139.99.

As for the Tierra, I thought you were talking about a reel, not a rod. oh well.

BB
Old 02-08-10, 10:47 AM   #17
nofearengineer

If you're looking for a spinning reel that holds 130-140 yds of 8lb test, I think you should look at the Abu Soron STX 20. It's almost 2 ounces lighter than the Pflueger President XT, has 2 more bearings, and can be had for the same price if you shop around. But then, I am an Abu nut.
Old 02-08-10, 01:10 PM   #18
OrygunBasser

I have gone over to the Johnny Morris spinning reels and the US Reel 230 % 240 reels!

The spool size lets me use any lines I want to use with ease!!

Old 02-09-10, 12:14 AM   #19
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Bass Man View Post
I've always found that the 2500 series reels are a good compromise between weight and capacity.
Same here, although I've read where the pros use the bigger reels for the reasons already mentioned.
Old 02-09-10, 01:38 AM   #20
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I bit the bullet and bought two Shimano Sahara SH2500FD tonight. I've heard good things about them and was considering the larger SH3000FD size for the larger diameter spools but I don't fish a spinning a lot. Just for certain light line techniques.
One is gong on a new Shimano Crucial CRST66MH 6'6" Spinning Rod I won on Ebay last night.
Other SH2500 will go on something I have or maybe another new rod. Just don't know what yet.

Yeah, that Monkey hurt me pretty good but it was just a warm up for what my wife is gonna do to my feelings when the stuff arrives.
Old 02-09-10, 07:42 AM   #21
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use Pflueger reels and like the --30 size on the Med. finesse rods, and move up to a
--35 for the rod I skip plastics with and a MH that I swim plastics with. For you guys interested in the Supreme XT, I've found several on ebay ("buy it now" priced, from reputable dealers) for $109 with reasonable shipping. The regular Supreme similiar savings @ $89. Makes them even a BETTER BARGAIN. I've used a lot of spinning reels and found nothing comparable in it's price range.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 02:02 PM   #22
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow... I guess if I won the lottery I could afford these reels... but I really do not see a need in my case since I am more of a weekend warrior...

But those are some very nice setups...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:21 AM   #23
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I have two of the Pflueger 6735's (presidents) and one 6730 (president) and a 2500 Shimano. I like the bigger reels.

After talking with KVD and finding out he uses all 40 series Quantum’s it made me want to get a bigger reel. The reason for it if you use Fluorocarbon line it won't jump as easily with a larger spool.

As for the weight of the reel if you think that it's too heavy, go to the gym and work out.

My next round of new spinning reels will all be Shimano 3000's.
Yep, the fluoro works much better with reel sizes 2500 and up. I have a 6' rod with a 3000 on it that I use for skipping. Looks and feels awkward but it skips better than my other combos.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.