Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-07-04, 09:21 PM   #1
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default tube fishing in pads

this is something new to me..does anyone else here get right into the pads for some hand to hand combat?
a buddy of mine won a tourney the other day just flippin tubes into holes in the pads.he's a hard guy to understand,so i'm not sure if he was fishing close to the boat or not.
i guess what i want to know is..in pads in about 2 to 3 ft of water,how close to the boat can you get away fishing without spooking the fish?
any help here is appreciated...this lake i'm fishing tomorrow is loaded with pads..and dragging baits across the pads didn't work there the other day.i gotta get down and dirty. ;D
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-04, 09:31 PM   #2
bassguy2004

Default Re: tube fishing in pads

As you know Tom the key to flippin' is stelth. I'd say (not having flipped pads before) you can get pretty close, but I wouldn't. Flip to hole between the pad 6, 7, or 8 feet away. On the delta out here there are areas which have really sparce bullrushes in about 4 to 5 feet of water. We flip the outside edges first because of the predator factor of the bass. Then hit the inside pockets. Works out here.
Old 08-08-04, 02:44 AM   #3
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo
Default fish the edges

Hey, I was watching Roland Martin,
or some fishing show, and he was fishing the edges of
the grass and pads with 8" plastic worms (purple) and caught a NICE 7lb Bass... And a bunch of others 2-4 lbs
u might wana try that

good luck,

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 08:33 AM   #4
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Tom, you may wish to try switching from tubes to weightless texposed lizards. Â*You still cast normally and then retrieve slowly with rod tip up....the little guy will literally crawl across the tops of pads without hooking up......let him crawl into a little opening and sink....wait about 20 seconds, then give a couple gentle twitches and wait 10 seconds before moving on. Â*Space the twitches apart a little.

Sometimes the bass grab immediately and sometimes the waiting gets them all by itself, and then sometimes the twitching....and even yet when the lizard starts to climb out of the hole does the trick. Â*I would think the tubes would work better for the edges and weed change points as suggested in the post above.

I also like the lizards fished slowly and gently....quite slowly and very gently in the reeds....kind of a bump and drop approach. I also use them in thick weeds when the zoomies (speedworm bods) hang up.

Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 01:19 PM   #5
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

tom
the true key is the hook really r bend hooks from eagle claw will let it enter the water slower -i don't know why-i can flip 15 feet or so or pitch it in about 30-35 feet. i sit right on the grass line to work my stein.and have caught fish 2 feet away. this is in very clear water .just the less you move around in the boat the more noise you-or me for that matter-makes. use one rod maybe two, KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE TROLLING MOTER!!!!!!!!
fish the chunk of pads throughly-or more through than normal-ya want to cover as much area as possible before moving.

this is how i would and do fish pads.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 06:15 PM   #6
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

thanks guys..the fish just weren't in the pads today.this cold front must have sent them packing.i managed 1 short in 23 ft of water on a chrome/black 1/2oz rattletrap,and 1 keeper(2.1lbs)on same rattletrap in 37ft of water.i threw a hail mary cast and bam got my only keeper.this was the club guys and gals tourney.i fished it with my 9 yr old daughter.she didn't catch anything but we had a ball.
i tried everything in the pads,just were not there. :-/
i'll remember all your tips for the next time i fish pads.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.