Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-11, 06:19 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Wacky rigging - simple or knot?

OK - there was really no point to the 'knot' pun, but I am curious about fishing wacky worms. I've fished wacky worms before. I didn't use special hooks or rings... just hooked a plastic worm in the center and threw it out weightless (I've also done this with sluggos.) I had moderate success.

I'm thinking of fishing wacky worms in heavy cover (from a boat) - is that contrary to the common thought process? I'm not talking about submerged timber, rather boat lifts and large docks. My plan is to pitch a wacky worm way back in the hardest to reach spots. This probably means that at times I will be fishing OVER docks, in the middle of U shapped docks, around dock posts, and the small gaps behind docks and shore. I plan on using a heavy braid (probably 30#) to horse fish out once caught.

I like the idea of weightless wack rigging because most of the time the water will be around 4 to 5 feet or less, and I want something that falls slower than a jig. I also want something that I can suspend on a semi-slack line and dead-pan (fish motionless) for short periods. My hope is that wacky rigged worms will remain horizontal, or at least have the classic upside down curve associated with weacky worms.

If you are fishing like I've described, here are some of my questions:
1. What are the pros and cons of fishing creature baits or large (8" to 10" ) worms rigged wacky style.
2. Are the "cirlce hooks" or "octopuss hooks" critical for wacky fishing. (I realize the hookset is different, more of a sweeping pull rather than a traditional hook-set.)
3. What size circle hook do you use for a finesse wacky worm, like a 5" senko. Would you up-size your hooks if you were fishing a bigger creature bait or a 8" worm.

I'm thinking of using the these Finesse Wide Gap Hooks ...probably a size 1/0 or 2/0 for finesse baits and maybe a 3/0 for creature baits and larger worms. (I'd probably have to see one in the store and not just on-line to pick out the exact size I'd be comfortable with.)

I'm also wondering if I could use the "Split Shot / Drop Shot" hooks (on the same link above) for wacky rigging... that way I could get double-duty and eliminate one type of hook from my terminal tackle.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.