Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-21-12, 11:24 PM   #1
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spawntime Dates

I missed the first spawn in NE kansas last year, caught a late in early May. I'm wondering when the bass in your area start spawning. I'm especially looking for some people who fish in SE Nebraska, SW Iowa, NW Mizzou, or NE Kansas to reply. I realize that not all lakes spawn at the same time, but I'm looking for a general idea. Also, I'd like to hear from some people as their lakes start spawning this year to see how the fish are acting due to the wierd winter. Thanks BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 11:48 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It depends on the water temperature, male bass generally begin building nests when the water reaches about 55 degrees and stays fairly steady, females wait slightly longer to come to the nest and typically do so when the water reaches right around 60 degrees and is stable. If the water temp is jumping all over the place due to big weather fluctuations the females will move back off the nests, and wait for a steady temp.

In KS water temps generally reach 55 -60 degrees sometime in the last part of April and early May, but with the way the weather has been this year, I would think that it may be an early spawn.
Old 02-21-12, 11:54 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Tavery is spot on with the water temps. I would also add that the moon phase has a lot to do with it as well, maybe even as much as water temps. The first full moon we get once the water temps are close to the ideal temperature there will be a lot of fish moving shallow to spawn.
Old 02-21-12, 11:56 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Don't discount photoperiod either. Unlike the weird Winter we've just had, it won't change. My point is, the bass might just do anything this year.
Old 02-22-12, 07:37 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

I like the word Photoperiod. I remember as a small child reading a Sports Afield article that referenced the "extended photoperiods" of spring and running to my father to ask what it meant. His deadpan reply "longer days"

**not a hijack attempt just an observation and affirmation of NFE's point.**
Old 02-22-12, 09:30 PM   #6
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's just a matter of keeping track of water temp, weather, and moon phase. I found the bass beds last year, but I was a little bit too late. Now that I have an idea where they like the spawn, I really have to start working on dropping some trees in deeper water near spawning flats. I have a dozen christmas trees in my back yard waiting to be dropped, but I haven't had the time. I would like them to be along the deeper water by the flats, so they can have some structure to cling to when they begin moving up to spawn. Any suggestions or comments on this? Thanks, BFK
Old 02-22-12, 11:12 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfishkansas View Post
Thanks for the replies, I guess it's just a matter of keeping track of water temp, weather, and moon phase. I found the bass beds last year, but I was a little bit too late. Now that I have an idea where they like the spawn, I really have to start working on dropping some trees in deeper water near spawning flats. I have a dozen christmas trees in my back yard waiting to be dropped, but I haven't had the time. I would like them to be along the deeper water by the flats, so they can have some structure to cling to when they begin moving up to spawn. Any suggestions or comments on this? Thanks, BFK
The trees are an excellent idea, here's a tip from someone whos been sinking brushpiles for bass for 30 yrs=many Christmas trees have been chemically treated to stay green for months. If you drop "green" trees it can take weeks if not months for bass to use them because the green foliage goes through a souring process* that the fish find offensive. I normally just burn the green off real quick before using and have found fish holding in them within 24 hrs.

*also as the green decomposes it actually creates an oxygen depleted zone around them, primarily true in calm water areas..not so much in current*
Old 02-23-12, 09:10 AM   #8
joedog

Ken, thanks.
I never knew that. Yet almost all trees I've seen get lake planted were put in green, even DNR drops.
Thanks again.
Old 02-23-12, 09:49 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Yes Joe you're right. It only matters if you expect to fish them in the short term. Most piles are planted with future years in mind. Also the DNR people are just task oriented/hourly pay types who rarely fish anyway. Of course this is not meant to impune the integerity of hourly wage employees, I'm just saying.
Old 02-23-12, 04:35 PM   #10
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I am from SW Iowa and the past couple of years most of the fish spawned from mid-late April all the way through the end of May in some lakes.
Old 02-23-12, 07:32 PM   #11
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tip; I didn't know that about the trees...However, they have been sitting in my backyard for about three months now, and they have already dried out. I will still consider this when I drop them, because I have some trees that are greener than others. I think that I will drop those in different places. Another thing: What lures do you all find most productive for bed fishing? Also, how far should I stay away from the beds? Thanks, BFK
Old 02-23-12, 09:10 PM   #12
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfishkansas View Post
Thanks for the tip; I didn't know that about the trees...However, they have been sitting in my backyard for about three months now, and they have already dried out. I will still consider this when I drop them, because I have some trees that are greener than others. I think that I will drop those in different places. Another thing: What lures do you all find most productive for bed fishing? Also, how far should I stay away from the beds? Thanks, BFK
Baits and colors vary fish to fish. Some need a natural looking bait inched along while others will attack only if you have a brightly colored bait or a big swimbait that looks like a fish that would steal eggs. I like craw type baits but flukes work very well if the water is calm. Bright colors are nice because you can see them so you know if the fish has them or not.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 01:33 AM   #13
joedog

There are alot of different tecniques but the expance or size of spawn bedding area really makes the answering a little hard.
I have some waters with very large spawning areas. Sometimes I'll just plop myself in the middle and cast a weightless dinger every direction I can. While retrieving be sure to be very slow and don't be afraid to deadstick at times during the retrieve.

Remember though that the farther you pull fish from bed the longer it takes to get back so quick release becomes more and more important the farther the tussle.
Have fun this spring.
Old 02-24-12, 10:26 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The lakes with Florida strain will start anytime now. If we catch a warming trend in Feb, they will move up and start (I plan on confirming this next week with the warm weather, if it hasn't already started!). The F1 stocked lakes seem to start around mid March - April. The native strain will run anywhere from March to early May with late starters.
Old 02-24-12, 10:34 PM   #15
joedog

Versus Channel had a web site that used to have a daily spawn progression map. Would change due to weather and water temps and such. Pretty accurate but all bodies of water seem to have thier own spawn 'personalities'.

Versus became NBC sports so I don't no what will happen this year.
Old 02-24-12, 11:24 PM   #16
Bassboss

I actually saw 0 bass on beds last year. I'm blaming it on the fact that they just don't spawn by the shores I fish, but I know last year in May when the season opened, the females where starting to move up on spawning flats and I was catching em real good then, so I'd say late May or early June.
Old 02-24-12, 11:53 PM   #17
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Photoperiod is way underrated. Also water clarity matters a great deal more than most anglers realize. If not enough light is reaching the eggs they won't hatch. Where I live (NW Arkansas) bass held off spawning last spring, due to flooding, until June. I fish mostly rivers though, hence the flooding has more of an effect on them.
As far as fishing goes, I think bass instinctively more shallow once the days get longer, regardless of water temp. Sunny days in late Feb/ early March can be amazing fishing days.
Old 02-25-12, 12:06 AM   #18
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you all for your advice. Thanks to joedog for the spawntime map. I plan to drop the trees tomarrow, if the weather permits. I will get back to you on how it goes. Thanks, BFK
Old 03-05-12, 12:38 AM   #19
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lots of great information here that I never knew.

Thanks for all the contributions!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 08:21 PM   #20
Mr.Bassmaster29
BassFishin.Com Member

I just checked the water temps here in western Kentucky, and it was right at 53 degrees! If the air temps will stay pretty consistent, spawn should be getting closer!
Mr.Bassmaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 12:10 PM   #21
joedog

Interesting reading
http://www.askbassfishing.com/smallm...-spawning.html

With that being said, here's a map.

http://www.fishingclub.com/magazine/...bass-spawn-map

Hope it helps.
Old 03-07-12, 01:48 PM   #22
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Interesting reading
http://www.askbassfishing.com/smallm...-spawning.html

With that being said, here's a map.

http://www.fishingclub.com/magazine/...bass-spawn-map

Hope it helps.

Interesting reading Joe, It made me wonder where the guy who wrote the article is from. In Kansas if you wait for the water to reach between 65-75 degrees a large portion of the spawning bass will have already moved off the nests and be in post spawn pattern. Where I imagine in FL or South TX the water temps may not drop to freezing temps and 65-75 may be about as cool as the water gets.

Anyway thanks for the link.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.