Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-27-05, 08:08 AM   #1
nphotofish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nphotofish
Default Any advice?

Well, it is opening day of Bass season tomorrow here in Michigan. I’m renting a boat ($200... ouch). I have never caught a largemouth over 10 inches. I have never caught a fish on anything but live bait, so I don’t have a confidence bait. However, I have been reading this site and I plan to try out some T-rigs and spinner baits. Probably some other lures as well. I will only have 2 or 3 chances to be on a boat this year so I am hoping you guys can give me some pointers that will increase my chances.

I’m fishing a large lake (Gun Lake). I think the water clarity is about medium (not sure). It is supposed to be partly cloudy here with a high of 65 and a low of 46. I'll probably be fishing from morning to night.

Any advice?
nphotofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 08:51 AM   #2
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy
Default Re: Any advice?

Get some minnows and a bobber and have a ball, best way to spark your interest in fishing is probably using live bait and then try some artificial.
At the very least you could always throw live bait out on one pole and bass fish with a artificial lure on another pole, just keep you eye on the bobber now and then 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 09:17 AM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Get some lizards, and fish them around any wood or weeds. The spinnerbait is also a good choice. Catch some hawgs while you out.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 10:15 AM   #4
big_mouth
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to big_mouth

You can't go wrong with some plastic worms. Fish the cover. They won't hang up as much and you can pay more attention to catch fish and not unhooking your line. Using live baits at the same time is a great idea if you wanting to catch some lunkers. GOOD LUCK
big_mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 10:31 AM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

If ya do elect to use lures I would probably start working over any laydown timber with a spinner bait, and when ya see something worth picking over pick up the worm and give it a try! Try to keep you lure as close or in the cover as possible, thats where the bass live, not 5 ft from the edge where its "safe to throw" and not get hung up..that will get you few bites......
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 11:25 AM   #6
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

also check the docks! along the shore line, work the pockets and cover. Remember the points and drop off's. where shallow's meet deeper waters is where the fish will be. Also where flat bottom runs into weed beds right on that line will yeild fish for ya. Any bridges or pilings or where water bottle necks fom one lake to another this will be a fish highway.

Robby. (good luck)
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 01:13 PM   #7
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

if i was in a boat i would troll the banks and cast to the bank to your boat. also fish structure
Old 05-27-05, 06:55 PM   #8
nphotofish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nphotofish

Thanks for the advice guys. Â*I am so happy that I get to go out this weekend. Â*After reading this board for the past month, I was getting jealous. Â*It sucks living in a state where you can’t fish for Bass until the end of May! Â*All week the weather reports said it was going to rain. Â*I actually tried to cancel the boat reservation, but now the reports say no rain. Â*I felt like Christmas was called off, now it’s on again!

As for your responses,

I'm definitely going to use some T-rigged plastic worms. Â*I have black and amber colors. Â*I’m thinking about getting some senkos (green pumpkin maybe? any thoughts?). Â*I also have some silver and blue slug-gos. Â*Natural colors are better in clearer water right?

I just bought some red lizards. Â*Actually my wife picked them out and she wants to try them. Â*Do you just T-rig lizards and bounce them across the bottom?

As for the live bait, I was thinking about getting some night crawlers and throwing them out on a bobber just in case I cant get any bites on the artificials. Â* Are minnows a better choice? Â*I know I can at least get some panfish with crawlers.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the responses!
nphotofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.