Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-08-12, 06:23 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default sunny vs cloudy days

What color bait do you guys like to throw when its sunny or cloudy, and how does that relate to the water clarity?

When throwing a spinner bait when do you use gold blades, sliver blades, colorado blades, and willow blades on sunny or cloudy days?

I usually go with brighter/sunny darker/cloudy, natural lighter colors in clear lakes and darker in stained water. I use willow blades in stained water with gold blades on cloudy days and willow blades in clear water with silver on sunny days.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 07:28 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think you've got the color thing about right, but I don't consider water color when deciding between Colorado & Willow. It's more about speed/sound & where in the water column I want to be. I normally throw tandem in either and usually gold in back/silver on shaft regardless of water. Also a big fan of painted blades (bluegill)
Old 03-08-12, 07:50 PM   #3
b.a.s.17

I just figured they can't see the flash from the willow very well in stained water so I go with the Colorado and try to move water
Old 03-08-12, 07:59 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
I just figured they can't see the flash from the willow very well in stained water so I go with the Colorado and try to move water
Nothing wrong with that figuring at all. If the water is really stained, try some chartreuse blades. It looks kinda stupid/sissy but it works good.
Old 03-08-12, 09:16 PM   #5
b.a.s.17

That's a good idea I'll have to try that this weekend we got some good rain today so our lake is gonna be really stained.
Old 03-09-12, 06:30 PM   #6
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

One of the lakes I fish pretty often has a lot of tupelo and cypress trees in it, so it has kind of a tea stained water color. The most effective spinner bait there during the day, is white/chart with the large blade being a turtle back, small blade Co. The War Eagle Finesse is one of my favorites as is one that Picasso made a few years back. That turtle back blade is a good combo of thump and flash. I like gold/silver combo in just about any condition unless shown they just aren't hitting it as good as all silver.

On clear water streams I like double indiana blade, and willow blade combos during the day in natural shiner colors.

I picked up some painted blades this winter and can't wait to give them a try this spring. Maybe I will this weekend.

Picasso used to make a flip side spinnerbait I really like but its hard to find.
Old 03-09-12, 08:19 PM   #7
basstech

I basically use white to natural bait fish colors in water with 3' or better visibility willow leaf blades, usually silver, sometimes gold on cloudy days unless the water has like 6' visibility or more. Between 2' to 3' visibility white, white/chart, willows or tandem, silver on sunny, gold on cloudy. Less than two feet, white/chart or chart with some color, tandem, (I experiment more with blade color, usually silver/gold then gold/silver, gold/gold, white, white/chart, chart. If the water only has 1 foot I don't mess with silver at all and generally throw a fire tiger skirt. But not exclusively. I do have black baits and red baits, but they've never really produced for me, and generally am not comfortable throwing a spinner bait at all in water with only a foot of visibility.
Old 03-09-12, 09:40 PM   #8
Jrob78

I generally don't let the weather dictate what colors I throw. I try to determine my bait colors by the water color. Sunny/cloudy, windy/calm, rainy/clear will usually factor in to which baits I throw, just not the colors.
Old 03-11-12, 11:21 AM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd pretty much have to agree with your choices as well. One thing I'd do differently with spinnerbait choices would be to go with a brightly colored larger double colorado spinnerbait in heavily stained water. The vibration and size profile will help a bass to zero in on it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.