Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-06, 05:59 AM   #1
RESERVOIR BASSIN
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What I'm Doing Wrong?

In my country we fish largemouth bass in reservoirs from the bank. It's been two years i'm fishing with crankbaits,spinnerbaits with good results.

This year i have decided to start with soft plastic fishing(worms,tubes etc) as i was always having the problem to catch bass when they were not active.

I bought the following equipment:

- basspro xps extreme MH spinning rod
- daiwa xi spinning reel
- always using braided line
- baits: SENKOS 5"(WEIGHTLESS),FAT IKAS(WEIGHTLESS),BERKLEY TUBES,BERKLEY POWER WORMS 7" , ZOOM TRICK WORMS -TEXAS RIGGED

Can i have some guidance as to the presentations to be issued using the am equipment. i haven't catch anything as yet!!
RESERVOIR BASSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 07:07 AM   #2
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thank you for be specific. Sounds like youve got a good selection to start with. I would start off with darker colors, like cinnamon, black, pumpkinseed, motoroil, and purples. When using fat Ikas, rig them backwards, and let them sink, then lift your rod tip, and let them sink again. Repeat, and be aware, as bites may be subtle. Senkos, are good when they are deadsticked(let sit for long periods of time), or dragged along a muddy botom, a few inches at a time, creating a mud trIL.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 09:54 AM   #3
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

some lakes are power bite lakes and you really dont need to finesse them. but it is best to know how. get a junebug senko and drag it along the bottom. around wood grass and lillypads.
Old 10-03-06, 10:42 AM   #4
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

this is NOT a shameless plug, but check out www.mymomisbecky.com click on soft plastics, and the "Grandad's noodle" you certainly dont have to buy from me, there are others out there (they arent the same, but they are in the same genre) like the worm, ike kon etc that will catch fish (the action on mine are just better), but you can go to walmart or wherever and pick them up instead of ordering from me if you choose. When all other bites fail, these work. period.
try em
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 10:45 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Is it safe to say you only use the Grandad's noodle 100% of the time then?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 10:53 AM   #6
RESERVOIR BASSIN
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky View Post
this is NOT a shameless plug, but check out www.mymomisbecky.com click on soft plastics, and the "Grandad's noodle" you certainly dont have to buy from me, there are others out there (they arent the same, but they are in the same genre) like the worm, ike kon etc that will catch fish (the action on mine are just better), but you can go to walmart or wherever and pick them up instead of ordering from me if you choose. When all other bites fail, these work. period.
try em
Although i have to many plastics in my tackle box i will try these as well. What i really want to know is the way to fish all these

Just to add some additional information usually our reservoirs have the following characteristics:

- limited cover , you will rearly find some close to shore
- usually rocky bottom
- water muddy or clear to stained
- no fishing from boat allowed
Old 10-03-06, 11:41 AM   #7
mymomisbecky

honestly, this is the truth. I only DONT use grandads noodle when I want to try something else. If i wanted to fish that lure 100% of the time, I would catch fish with it, every day, but same with crankbait fishermen, it gets old. I want to broaden my horizons, jigs, other plastics etc, but its very legitimately what I claim it to be, my #1 bait, bar none. Thats not to say its the only product, of course. There are others. They are different, not poured curved, but they do work when the fish are hot..
Im not in business to get rich, I just like what I do. If you want to fish that reservoir soon, then pick some immitations up at walmart, they will catch fish, but there are differences.
Good luck out there.
Old 10-03-06, 11:58 AM   #8
mymomisbecky

oh, and reservoir bassin.
you fish em with a snap swivel.
all these pre rigged worms, mine or the others, will come with three hooks in the worm, and a leader of line coming out the head. make sure to use a snap swivel (100% critical) and just snap the leader on the snap.
fish it very very very slow. it should run 2-3 inches under the surface.
Also one nice thing about these baits, is they are very rarely light strikes. They are aggresive strikes, and most of the time you can see em hit. its a great way to fish.
Old 10-03-06, 07:21 PM   #9
skeeter944

welcome to the forum res! i like the trick worms weightless in watermelonseed and pumpkin,maybe bubblegum in the spring. i like to cast them out,let 'em sink,and retreive it with slow pulls,tugs,and maybe a twitch or two. on the power worms,which happen to be my favorites, i will take a 2/0 or 3/0 mustad ultra bite hook with a 1/8 ounce or 1/4 ounce sinker,and let it sink,wait a few seconds, hop,let it fall,rest a moment,repeat.... i love worm fishing!!!!!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 07:24 PM   #10
skeeter944

oh,i almost forgot,how to detect when a bass has a worm. when you go to let it sink and it doesnt fall,set the hook! the bass has you! when you feel a "tap,tap,tap" set it! when you feel resistence,shake the rod tip a bit,and if the line moves or darts,set it! sometimes the bass will just pull the rod out of your hands,some days,all you feel is a bit of resistence. on days like that,fish slower and close to or in cover. i hope i helped!
Old 10-03-06, 10:53 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Hey RB-welcome to the forum!

Do us a favor and fill out your profile so we know where you are located-knowing where you are helps us give specifics.
Old 10-04-06, 04:45 AM   #12
zooker

cyprus?...dam!

i do alot of power fishing. i would work them along the struture. dead sticking works but put some weight on them to get them down work them with a steady slow retrive adding a double twitch every 2-3 feet..

no boats -this as got to suck..

zooker
Old 10-04-06, 06:45 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Thanks, RB!

Cyprus? Wow! Glad you decided to join us!
Old 10-16-06, 04:44 AM   #14
RESERVOIR BASSIN
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
oh,i almost forgot,how to detect when a bass has a worm. when you go to let it sink and it doesnt fall,set the hook! the bass has you! when you feel a "tap,tap,tap" set it! when you feel resistence,shake the rod tip a bit,and if the line moves or darts,set it! sometimes the bass will just pull the rod out of your hands,some days,all you feel is a bit of resistence. on days like that,fish slower and close to or in cover. i hope i helped!
thanks skeeter944 , with the braided sometimes is difficlut to dedect the "real strikes". You just feel so many thinks when you are draging your worm . This becomes more difficult when there is wind over 5miles
Old 10-16-06, 07:16 PM   #15
skeeter944

usaully the bass will tug,or your line will zip off.
Old 10-16-06, 09:23 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESERVOIR BASSIN View Post
thanks skeeter944 , with the braided sometimes is difficlut to dedect the "real strikes". You just feel so many thinks when you are draging your worm . This becomes more difficult when there is wind over 5miles
Actually that's why it's easier to detect bites with braided. There are lot's of technigues that can be effective, but the bass will be the determining factor. From what you have posted, you have been "POWER FISHING". Plastics is a lot slower, and most folks don't fish them slow enough. If using a weight, then cast it out wait for it to hit bottom, then hop it a couple of times, by twitching your rod tip upwards, then let it fall to the bottom again. Let it rest a some, then repeat this. Also just SLOWWWWWWLY dragging it along the bottom can be the ticket. If weightless, then cast it out, let it sink, and then give it a couple of quick twitches, then let it fall some, then give it a couple of twitches again. I use a twitch, twitch, pause sequence almost always when fishing the weithless plastics. The big difference is how long I give between the pause. I would just say slow down whatever you're doing, and if it feels to slow, then slow down some more

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 10-16-06 at 09:28 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 10:48 AM   #17
skeeter944

i learned how to fish a worm from this forum,and my first year of worming was very productive,i caught about 75 bass. most of them were caught by simply just reeling very slowly,and if you didnt feel the bottom,reel slower or change to a heavier worm weight. also with the floating worms and fluke type baits,you can twitch them fast and get reaction type hits.
Old 12-31-06, 10:15 AM   #18
LOWEDADDY001
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LOWEDADDY001

I have found that if I can't slow down my worm enough, I can switch to a four inch lizard. You can get away with fishing them a little faster. I fish Alamo Resivoir here in AZ. Water is warmer year round and this may not work for you.
LOWEDADDY001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 07:09 PM   #19
skeeter944

welcome to the forum lowedaddy!
Old 01-01-07, 08:19 PM   #20
CMorg

Alright MyMomisBecky , Ive heard about enough of those Dam# Grandads Noodle baits , Get ahold of me and Ill buy a couple....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.