Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-10, 11:28 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Heat Shrink Tubing on Flipping Hooks

I can't freakin' figure out how to get this stuff to stay on my flippin hooks. My friend's mom works with electrical equipment and gets the stuff for free and it has some internal glue it seems. It always ends up falling down the hook and is so frustrating.

How do you do it?

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 12:11 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just heating it up good ought to do it. Just remember to take a pair of pliers and stretch it out to make a barb at the top so it holds your bait up.
Old 07-10-10, 09:07 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I completely quit using the shrink tubing for that reason alone. Now I just snell my flippin hooks - and guess what? It works better anyway, and much easier.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 10:07 AM   #4
jooleyen

Cam, that's what I do too. But I still feel the need for shrink tubing so my bait doesn't fall down.
Old 07-10-10, 10:32 AM   #5
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Cam, that's what I do too. But I still feel the need for shrink tubing so my bait doesn't fall down.
Are you running the hook all the way out of the bait after you hook it through the nose?
Old 07-10-10, 10:34 AM   #6
jooleyen

I see what you mean. So the eye of the hook acts as the hook keeper? I did some more searching and found some help...
http://www.westernbass.com/forum/vie...d73937d69c513a
http://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=144916

But doesn't it tear the bait more when you use that method? And doesn't the hook become exposed from the plastic more easily requiring you to adjust it again and again?
Old 07-10-10, 10:56 AM   #7
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
I see what you mean. So the eye of the hook acts as the hook keeper? I did some more searching and found some help...
http://www.westernbass.com/forum/vie...d73937d69c513a
http://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=144916

But doesn't it tear the bait more when you use that method? And doesn't the hook become exposed from the plastic more easily requiring you to adjust it again and again?
I haven't had near the problems since I started doing this. Once I pass it through, I just put some Mend It on the hole. The nice thing about this is that the bait slides up the line nearly every time, and I don't use near as many baits.
Old 07-10-10, 11:29 AM   #8
WTL

I must be late the the party on this one. What are yall doing with shrink tubing?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 11:45 AM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I haven't had near the problems since I started doing this. Once I pass it through, I just put some Mend It on the hole. The nice thing about this is that the bait slides up the line nearly every time, and I don't use near as many baits.
Hy CamG, I've been using Pro's Soft Bait Glue by adding a drop to where the hook first comes out of the plastic (the side at the top) to keep baits in place. It isn't perfect, but works decent. But I've never tried Mend-It for this... how good does Mend-It adhere the bait to the hook?
Old 07-10-10, 12:11 PM   #10
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hy CamG, I've been using Pro's Soft Bait Glue by adding a drop to where the hook first comes out of the plastic (the side at the top) to keep baits in place. It isn't perfect, but works decent. But I've never tried Mend-It for this... how good does Mend-It adhere the bait to the hook?
Kevin -

Mend It doesn't adhere the bait to the hook, it just closes the hole that the hook and hook eye went through. When I use the snell knot with a straight shank I pass the hook through the bait just like texas rigging, but I pull the entire hook through the body of the bait so that the snell and the hook eye are completely on the outside of the bait, and then T-Rig. The Hook eye and snell act just like using the shrink tubing, but I don't have to mess with the tubing at all.

Edit -

Forgot this part. I skin hook the the T-Rig part, but not like most would think. I angle the hook so that it is T-Rigging about a 1/8" of the bait - kind of on the edge. That way when it tears up a little, or when it slides, you have only ripped up one side of the bait.

I think I saw someone using this rig a year or so ago on a show. Maybe Alton Jones? I'll try to find a video or picture somewhere. If nothing else I'll take a pic when I'm back at home.
Old 07-10-10, 01:01 PM   #11
CamG

Found a reference pic.

Old 07-10-10, 08:01 PM   #12
jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Forgot this part. I skin hook the the T-Rig part, but not like most would think. I angle the hook so that it is T-Rigging about a 1/8" of the bait - kind of on the edge. That way when it tears up a little, or when it slides, you have only ripped up one side of the bait.
Dude thanks Cam. I'll try out your method. I finally figured out how to get the shrink tubing to stay on though.
I just take some really thin copper wire and wrap it around the shank where the little bait keeper barbs are (the barbs are useless as they don't even hold the bait up), and then melt the tubing over the wire. The tubing and wire spin loosely on the hook but they don't slide down (because of the barbs)
Old 07-10-10, 08:55 PM   #13
CamG

No problem at all. I like this method alot and seem to get a reel good hookup ratio as well.
Old 07-10-10, 09:58 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I must be late the the party on this one. What are yall doing with shrink tubing?
When using a straight shank hook you can cut a piece of shrink tubing and heat it up just below the eye of the hook, then take a pair of pliers and pull the top of it out a bit to creat a barb. This helps keep your bait from sliding down the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.