Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-21-12, 10:57 PM   #1
bwhite
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Teach a Man to Fish

So I was reading a forum online about what lessons have been learned by fishermen by their partners in tournaments that really opened their eyes and taught them something. I am sure everyone has had some lesson taught them that changed their perspective or technique in a positive way. I was hoping that out of all you knowledgeable anglers in this pressure filled sport, some of you will come out to give us the tidbits of knowledge that many novice or rookie anglers appreciate. For example going to bigger bait or smaller bait or just what another angler did that really spanked you on the water. Be our yodas LOL.
bwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:48 PM   #2
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i always hear that from fisherman, wanting to some little tip to catch more fish. the best tip that i could give any novice fisherman is not how to tweak a lure, or a special bait, but to learn the seasonal patterns of bass. particularly those for the waters you fish. 90% of catching any fish is to be putting a bait in front of their nose. if you are putting your bait in front of a fish every cast, you will catch fish, and the tweaking will come with the catching. it is very hard to tweak anything without catching something.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 12:02 AM   #3
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am a novice myself but an interesting thing i learned was when boat constantly drive by tall weeds hitting the top of the water often they form a pocket where bass are under neath because the weeds are pushed over killing anything on the other side because the sun cant reach it.
Old 06-22-12, 02:15 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have to agree with merc on this one. for someone who is jsut starting out fishing (no matter which type of fish it is), learn the BASICS first. don't get caught up in the tweaking or stuff like that. makes it too complicated and you can lose interest quickly.

learn the sesonal patterns, and the areas of the targeted species first. then the "tweaking" will ocme in time.

fishing isn't an exact science. things change every minute out on the water.
Old 06-22-12, 03:21 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go early stay late
If one caught fish all the time be called catching,fishing is the art of attempting to
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 04:13 PM   #6
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

One of the most interesting things I've learned lately and want to learn more about is fishing shadows on lakes. In listening to Bill Siemantel talk, shadows are just as tangible cover/structure as a dock or a tree. Very interesting concept and makes sense to me...
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 04:21 PM   #7
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Keep your lure in the water! Lead and Plastic, a deadly combination.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 05:17 PM   #8
islandbass

Don't forget your license!

Try to learn at least one thing new on each outing.

Don't overthink (my weakness)
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

When I was 12 my Uncle (after tiring of my incessant questions about lures etc) sat me down, cleared his throat, and said "Bass aren't hard to catch..............but can be hard to find". 43 years later that statement is still profound and lost on lots of beginners.
Old 06-22-12, 10:27 PM   #10
Tavery5

Anthropomorphism - look it up.
Old 06-22-12, 10:37 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Anthropomorphism - look it up.
Great word and very fitting.
Old 06-23-12, 06:40 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Hey T....I too think Anthropomorphism is a great word, but couldn't find a single example of it in the above posts. Did you mean to help the OP by discouraging him from saying things like:
"That fish smashed my buzzbait in anger"
"Big fish get lazy in the summer"
"That one spit my plug and happily returned to the water"
"Big bedding females are very cautious"
"Little bank running bucks are frisky and curious"
"That lunker didn't even know he was hooked until he saw the boat"
"Fall fish often go on a shad busting frenzy"
"Summertime bass will gather in schools to faciltate baitfish herding"
"Pressured fish sometimes suspend over deep water just to rest awhile"
"That last big jump was a desperate attemp to shake the hook"
etc etc etc
You know I've been saying things like that and countless other Anthropomorphism's since I was a little kid and can"t think of a single instance where it cost me a fish or took anything away from my fishing experience. In fact I think it often adds to the "fun factor". Even backwoods Appalachian children don't really believe that fish swim around with human thoughts or motivations. If we all fished while saying things like "these pre-spawn largemouth must ingest many calories in the next 6 weeks"....what's your point?
Old 06-23-12, 01:24 PM   #13
Tavery5

No, meant for him to understand that humans tend to believe that fish think like humans, and have emotions, and are sneaky, smart, whatever the case may be. You have to forget that line of thinking and understand that fish are primarily driven by two things, eating and procreating, understand how and when they do both of these and leave the rest at home. It will help you become a better fisherman.

Definition:

Anthropomorphism can be understood to be the act of lending a human quality, emotion or ambition to a non-human object or being.
Old 06-23-12, 02:43 PM   #14
Jrob78

It also relates to bait choices. Understanding what the fish are feeding on and why at different times of the year. Things like the size of spinnerbait blades, the size of swimbaits and plastics, bait colors and where on a body of water the bait is going to congregate at different times of the year. It kind of goes with the old saying, is a bait meant to catch a fisherman or catch fish.
Old 06-23-12, 09:36 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

OK but I'm still a little stumped? Oh well.........................not the first or last
Old 06-24-12, 09:39 AM   #16
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
OK but I'm still a little stumped? Oh well.........................not the first or last

It's kind of the whole K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to fishing Ken, it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from Paralysis by Analysis. Once you develop the mindset that fish are not thinkers, and they are not clever, that they are instinctive and do the things they do based primarily on eating and procreating they become much easier to target.

When you catch a fish shallow, take the time to try and understand why it was shallow, what was it eating, and why was it there. If the fish then move deep, try to understand why they moved. Fish do the things they do out of their survival instincts and not because they are trying to outwit clever anglers.

Many anglers shoot around the water and try and find fish by throwing everything in their box, shallow, deep, and in between. The really good anglers know where the fish will be and understand why. KVD comes to mind.
Old 06-24-12, 05:58 PM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
It's kind of the whole K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to fishing Ken, it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from Paralysis by Analysis. Once you develop the mindset that fish are not thinkers, and they are not clever, that they are instinctive and do the things they do based primarily on eating and procreating they become much easier to target.(find!)
All true...and I'm sure that's the jist of what my Uncle shared with me 43 yrs ago in post #9 above.

When you catch a fish shallow, take the time to try and understand why it was shallow, what was it eating, and why was it there. If the fish then move deep, try to understand why they moved. Fish do the things they do out of their survival instincts and not because they are trying to outwit clever anglers. ......Paralysis by Analysis.....??

Many anglers shoot around the water and try and find fish by throwing everything in their box, shallow, deep, and in between. The really good anglers know where the fish will be and understand why. KVD comes to mind...... Again all true but....are the poor water shooters in sentence #1 suffering from some Anthropomorphic delusions?
No need to start some whole big thing here, I was just thinking the OP was a beginner looking for good advice. Having taught countless people to fish myself, it never occured to me to tell any of them not to attribute human thoughts to the bass.
Old 06-24-12, 07:24 PM   #18
Tavery5

Seems to me that you have already made it much bigger than needed.
Old 06-24-12, 07:33 PM   #19
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Seems to me that we've already made it much bigger than needed.
I was trying to exit gracefully at post #15
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 PM   #20
wallywallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Great word and very fitting.

see going to collage has helped ma, soon as i read Tacs post, 100% picked it up, though i beleive the OP hasnt responded
Old 06-24-12, 10:36 PM   #21
Jrob78

There's a funny Sam Jackson line from Pulp Fiction I would post but it isn't suited for a public forum.
Old 06-26-12, 10:49 AM   #22
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
So I was reading a forum online about what lessons have been learned by fishermen by their partners in tournaments that really opened their eyes and taught them something. I am sure everyone has had some lesson taught them that changed their perspective or technique in a positive way. I was hoping that out of all you knowledgeable anglers in this pressure filled sport, some of you will come out to give us the tidbits of knowledge that many novice or rookie anglers appreciate. For example going to bigger bait or smaller bait or just what another angler did that really spanked you on the water. Be our yodas LOL.
Use the best equip. you can afford.
Use brand name line.
Keep your hooks sharp.
Pay attention to your body position (always be ready to set the hook).
Stay focused even if you haven't got a bite in hours.
RustyFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 10:44 AM   #23
senkosam

If someone asked me for some fishing basics, I would tell them:
1. Don't believe as gospel anything you read or hear (there will always be exceptions or b.s. to filter)
2. There is no substitute for experience, personal observations or keeping an open mind. Of the hundreds of fishing forums and site, topics are in the thousands. For any one fact one wants to know, search and find and then try it out on the water.
3. Fish with others experienced in different tactics and presentations and that fish various type waters you want to fish. This goes back to #2.
4. Bass and all other species of catchable fish are stupid by human standards and react to lures for many different reasons and lures are much of the time superior at getting bit as compared to live bait or prey swimming within a few feet of a bass's nose. Believe it!
5. There are no substitutes for good line, sharp hooks, touch and good reflexes. Everything else is fine tuning.
6. Use sonar to know the bottom and remember key areas.
7. Lures are tools and some are more versatile and multi-seasonal than others. Take this into account when reading about the latest fad lure that won a Classic or bragged about by anyone. There will always be a variety of ways to catch fish on any given day and for any group of fish.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 01:47 PM   #24
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
No, meant for him to understand that humans tend to believe that fish think like humans
Ain't that the truth!

First off, welcome to the forum! Great bunch of guys but most are a little crazy, but then we are bass fishermen so that goes with the territory!

As you have already figured out there is a lot of stuff you can learn. I've been a bass fisherman for over 40 years-yeah, I'm old-and learn something new just about every time out. I'm always messing with my tackle (drives my wife nuts) and have a lot of fun doing it.

Tips/tricks are endless, and bass fishermen love to pass info along, so if you have questions ask away. When it comes to fishing I firmly believe the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

As to general advice-you are in a great spot. There is a ton of knowledge to be found here.

The name of the game, believe it or not, is confidence. Confidence in your gear, your lures, your presentations, etc. For example, if you think rigging a bait a certain way catches more fish, it does! I can't explain it, it just seems to work that way.

Fish with different people, learn how they do things and use what works for you.

When you are buying gear, asking for advice is great, but use what works for YOU, not someone else. that way you will be satisfied with what you are using and will be more confident in your fish catching abilities.
Old 07-14-12, 09:09 PM   #25
flfireman

A long with what everyone else has written. Confidence in yourself and equipment are paramount. My biggest thing is know what the bait your are throwing will do in the water. Also, have an idea of what you want it to do. (action, hitting bottom, hopping, skimming under/on the surface. If you think fish are deep, will a 2-3 ft diving crankbait work and vice-versa, are they hitting the 10" super worm and not hooking up or swallowing it? Go smaller, go slower, speed up. I would say, get a worm and try all the different ways to fish that worm. After you have caught fish on all those different ways, move on to another bait and start over. I can throw a soft swimbait all day long and catch fish, because I can change it's presentation to a fish, by changing how I work it. Dont go for the super fancy, bass catching mega super lure, if you still haven't figured out to hop a 7.5 inch worm across the grass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.