Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-11-08, 10:47 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Big guy, little guy

Had the most amazing thing happen a couple of weeks ago that's worth sharing.
I'd been bait fishing with real night crawlers with only slight success. I had a snap swivel on the end of the line with a sinker and a #6 snelled hook about a foot or so above that. Becoming bored with the fish not biting, I hooked a crank bait on the snap swivel and just left the hook unbaited (thinking I'd switch back).
On my first or second cast w/slow-medium retrieve, I got a hit so I set the hook - I reeled in to find a small bass....with the unbaited hook firmly in his mouth! I'm thinking that this looked like a small fish chasing prey and the bass figured he'd beat the other guy to the "food".

If any empty hook worked....

Now I'm wondering if two lures in tandem (where the second appears to be chasing the first) might be a deadly combination? (maybe best in a trolling situation, but even cast 'n retrieve) For example, a small spoon followed by a larger one. a small spoon followed by a larger crank bait. A small spinner followed by a larger anything.

Might be something worth a try.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 03:55 PM   #2
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You maybe on to something. I have seen the pro's caught two at a time sighting the same small fish chase bait big fish wait it. I will have to test your theory next time out.
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 04:03 PM   #3
doc

donkey rigging. flukes work great. put your line thru the eye of one hook, then tie a swivel on. 1=2 ft of leader (or less your choice) then tie the other hook on. What you end up with is 2 flukes with 1 (the back one) that closes distance on the first one when worked.

hope that made sense
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 06:06 PM   #4
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
donkey rigging. flukes work great. put your line thru the eye of one hook, then tie a swivel on. 1=2 ft of leader (or less your choice) then tie the other hook on. What you end up with is 2 flukes with 1 (the back one) that closes distance on the first one when worked.
hope that made sense
Not sure it did It would seem that the first sliding hook would rest on the swivel during the cast such that the distance between the two would remain more or less constant on retrieve?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 10:52 AM   #5
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Not sure it did It would seem that the first sliding hook would rest on the swivel during the cast such that the distance between the two would remain more or less constant on retrieve?
cept you work the fluke with a stop and go pattern, causing the lead fluke to fall off or work down the swivel just a tad.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 11:42 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I would be afraid that the sliding hook would weaken the knot on the swivel if you were to hook a good size fish on the fish hook. And lord knows what it would feel like if you hooked a bass on each one. I would like to find out though. I think I will try this little experiment this weekend. It may be a simple as finding the right strike zone with the extra bait.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 03:55 PM   #7
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

another spoon jigging trick is to put a feathered treble sliding freely on the line before you tie the spoon. as you let the spoon fall they seperate and on the pull up it looks like the spoon is chasing a smaller baitfish. gives those bass 2 things to target, and likely hit the bigger spoon.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.