Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-11-08, 09:34 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lead, follow or get out of the way?

Leaders.... Lot's of discussions in here about the pros and cons of monofilament, braided and fluorocarbon...

So why not use a higher test monofilament or braided line with a nearly invisible, lower test fluorocarbon leader?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 09:42 AM   #2
Fishnngolfn

I use that setup now for my weightless plastics and it is great. However, make sure you tie the line to line knot properly or you will get what I call loop knots around your knot or slightly behind it on the braid. This is due to the line to line knot barely catching the last guide and causing a slight jerk of the bait during the cast. If I have the knot tied properly (small and tight), then I do not have that problem. As Lancer told me, PRACTICE that J-knot or you will be cussing.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 08-11-08 at 09:48 AM.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 10:22 AM   #3
Abbeysdad

I've just been using a 6# or 10# monofilament leader with a heavier (10# or 15#) monofilament on the spool.
For my heavier rig, I was thinking of a 30# braid, sometimes with a 10# fluoro leader. A fluoro leader (because of it's near invisibility) would even seem to make sense on say a 15# monofilament. Fluoro leader seems to make more sense than to have it all on the spool.

As for knots, the Albright has been working well for me. I cheat and use a small straw which makes making the loops of the smaller diam line a lot easier.
Old 08-11-08, 10:53 AM   #4
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Leaders.... Lot's of discussions in here about the pros and cons of monofilament, braided and fluorocarbon...

So why not use a higher test monofilament or braided line with a nearly invisible, lower test fluorocarbon leader?
Now WHY didn't I think of that? Oh, wait...
Ab'sPop,
A topic/keyword search will reveal some interesting(?) posts re braid with fluoro leader.
Many of us employ that very combo but there are some instances when I, an outspoken advocate therefor, speak in favor of a non-braid solution.
When using a "stop and go" topwater (See: Pop 'R; Tiny Torpedo, Spook[at times] etc.) a fluoro leader likely impair action by causing the nose of the bait to dig in. Fluoro sinks readily, y'see.
For "constant motion" topwaters, since line visibility is not usually an issue with buZZZZZZZZZZZbaits, toads, even SPRO-type frawgs if water clarity is poor, pure braid...no leader...works well. Subsurface spinner baits are also candidates for a braid-only set-up.
Some folks use other-than-braid for crankbaits, both billed and lipless, due to concerns over ripping the hooks out; That same concern that causes some to cast those lures (and those "Stop and go Topwaters) with "gentler" rods; Glass or Glass/'phite composites. (I call them "Mush" rods, but no matter)
When an idea or question arises why not try a quick search. You might save monitor ink.

Lancer6
"Monitor ink"
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 11:15 AM   #5
Abbeysdad

LOL - thanks fer the tip.

I always get a kick outta kids that try to discourage discussions on a discussion forum...regardless of what's been discussed in the past.
Old 08-13-08, 10:09 AM   #6
Abbeysdad

Anyway, I just got some 10# test P-Line Fluroclear to use as leader material.
Looking to make the line less visible/invisible, regardless of the water.

Edit: Did some fishin at noontime. Didn't catch anything, but the P-line leader IS nearly invisible to me in the water.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-13-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-13-08, 07:23 PM   #7
Lancer6

Quote:
Anyway, I just got some 10# test P-Line Fluroclear to use as leader material.
Looking to make the line less visible/invisible, regardless of the water.

Edit: Did some fishin at noontime. Didn't catch anything, but the P-line leader IS nearly invisible to me in the water.
A'sD,

P-Line FloroClear is better suited, in fact, darn near ideal, for use as "main" line for all applications save for topwater plugs; OK, though for moving TWs such as buZZZZZZZZZZbaits, constant-motion toads, like the ZOOM Horny Toad.
To maximize invisibility and have a better sink rate, use P-Line CFX LEADER MATERIAL, sold in 25m spools. That is the product I've used, tested, and have total confidence in. It is more durable than the other stuff and is PURE fluorocarbon, unlike FloroClear, which, as stated earlier and often, is a MONO coated with fluorocarbon.
About "sink rate"...Braid, the other component in the magic combination, tends to float a bit. Using a pure fluorocarbon leader (CFX!) alleviates some of that since fluoro will act as an additional "sinker". This is often critical when there's a breeze, you're using a light slip sinker, and you want the softie to remain on target as it sinks.
CFX is costly, but that is offset to some degree by the fact that the braid is VERY durable in normal use. Thus, not having to replace braid for long intervals, compared to frequent reloads of mono or fluoro, makes CFX a more sound investment. It is specially formulated for knot strength, abrasion resistance, and maximum stealth.

There is no shortcut here.

L6
PS: I don't know why P-Line dropped the "u" from the product label, but they sure as heck did.
Old 08-13-08, 07:58 PM   #8
cassidyta

It is weird, I checked the profile, and it never mentioned that lancer either a) worked for P-line, or B) has a lot of stock......lol
Old 08-14-08, 03:06 AM   #9
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
It is weird, I checked the profile, and it never mentioned that lancer either a) worked for P-line, or B) has a lot of stock......lol
Wrong again, PowerBait breath
I tested various products; many, many, of them, over the several decades I've been pursuing the wily bass and other species. I've carefully noted the good, so-so, and bad of each. Therefore, when I offer a recommendation it's NOT based on brand loyalty or other inducements. I offer what help I can based on empirical evidence.
The reason I was so redundant in my second post, repeating much of my first? Simple...Sometimes ya' gotta hit someone over the head to get the point across...Not really. It was in case someone missed the read the first time around. That happens here...a lot.

L6
Old 08-14-08, 10:21 AM   #10
cassidyta

I hear you. Since I had read the first and then the second I figured you were just running for office on their board of directors.
I don't want to say I have spent "several" decades, but I will say I hae more than a couple, i might even go as far as to call it a few, chasing after them as well.
No matter how much of an @$$ I may be, i do appreciate the advice. It is too late for me, but hopefully you can keep someone else from buying line that ends up in a shoe box in the garage because it just won't work. Reminds me, I gotta get a bigger shoe box..........
Old 08-14-08, 11:28 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Well, I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and didn't see any line specifically for leader material so I made what seemed like a decent choice for the intended purpose.
Old 08-14-08, 11:50 AM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Well, I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and didn't see any line specifically for leader material so I made what seemed like a decent choice for the intended purpose.
Walmart, Academy, and Dick's do not carry P-Line CFX pure fluoro leader. They also do not carry Hivis yellow Power Pro braid. The only store (other than online) I have seen them at is BPS. I made do with 10# Vanish until I was able to make a trip down to BPS. I know Vanish sucks as main line but it works pretty well as a 4' to 6' leader. I have yet to have one break and there is no line twist since it never reaches the reel. My biggest beef is not being able to find Hivis yellow braid. My eyes are not getting any better and I have a hard time seeing my line on the water.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 01:20 AM   #13
cassidyta

Sports authority out here had a deal that if you bought any Power Pro braid, you got 25 yards of the CFX free. No Lancer, I am not following your advice, it was the bait monkey...I swear
Old 08-15-08, 01:11 PM   #14
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Sports authority out here had a deal that if you bought any Power Pro braid, you got 25 yards of the CFX free. No Lancer, I am not following your advice, it was the bait monkey...I swear

They all say that.
Academommy here in SA has always carried CFX but with those folks you never know if something you want or like will ever grace their shelves more than once.

L6
Old 08-15-08, 02:08 PM   #15
cassidyta

I hear that. Same thing this way. If it is there, you have to buy it while you can. At least that is what I explain to my wife when I go.
Old 08-15-08, 02:38 PM   #16
Abbeysdad

Well, I think the 10# P-line Floroclear leader for stealth payed off some.

I went fishin at noon today to a small 9 acre pond just up the road from work. I tied the leader on but put a couple of twists in the loop before pulling the ends through on the J-knot - makes a nice knot, but too big.
Also, the main line is a 10# Trilene, so I think next time out I'll use the Floroclear as the mainline on this rig (ancient light/medium action Daiwa rod, Mitchell open faced spinning reel).

I Texas rigged a green 5" Gulp worm. I know Gulp's had a lot of 'bad press' here, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Even w/o extra weight, I was able to get out a fair amount (lighter mono sailed with the worm weight). I was working the bait real slow... nothing.
Moved down around the pond a bit where I could see deeper water closer to shore. First cast out got a nice hit. Set the hook and reeled in a smallmouth a bit under a pound. Real close to an eye hook. Got it out and tossed him back. Re-rigged the same worm back on the hook. A couple of casts later had another fish on. This one was bigger and had some attitude. There was a bed of really thick weeds just off shore and he burrowed in there and the line just hung - I couldn't even feel him any more, just the hang up. I tried some slack to see if he would swim out, but nothing. So I thought the fish was gone and all would be lost. It was either cut or pull, so I grabbed the line ahead of the pole and began slowly pulling. I thought it would break and then it pulled loose and a wad of weeds came forward...and inside the weed wad was a smallmouth bass a bit over a pound. I thought he was done fer, until he gave a gasp. I quickly unhooked him, admired him quickly and tossed him back.
I re-rigged the same worm again, although it was a bit worse for the wear. Not much on the next couple of casts with a missing tail, so I replaced the bait. Several more casts got attention on almost every one! Hooked another, but he slipped the hook a few yards after the hook set. A few other hits, but I missed setting the hook. Maybe me being impatient, maybe the hook and the rig. Worse than plastic, I notice that the gulp worm slides down and bunches up in the hook on a [failed] hook set. This might actually work against me, by sometimes making the weedless hook, fishless as the bait pulls out of the fishes mouth (if that makes sense).

So, it was a small success - at least lots of action, especially noontime in summer when fishin here can get real slow. Hard to say if the Floroclear helped. Maybe it was the gulp. Maybe the presentation or the luck of the location.

Like I said, I think the Floroclear will go on this rig as the mainline. Gulp is a definite maybe.
Old 08-15-08, 03:25 PM   #17
Jim80

Abbeysdad glad to hear you had some luck but i think it was more presentation then the gulp worms , for the price and longevity of them i think your better off without them . Jmo though , I am positive you can get the same action on a reg worm and get more for the money .
Old 08-15-08, 11:27 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

You might be right Jim - I dunno - it (the green Gulp worm) was working so I stuck with it. It might have been neat to see if a natural, purple, or pumpkin worm T-rigged also got their attention. This green worm (Gulp or no) sure was a hit tho. I'm thinking of going back there with some real nightcrawlers.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-16-08 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-16-08, 01:06 PM   #19
Abbeysdad

Well, another score for Gulp! I respooled my Mitchell reel with the 10# P-Line Floroclear last night and went back to that same pond this morning. I got nothing on a purple worm, watermelon tube or Nightcrawlers on my other rig. I tied on the green 5" Gulp worm and first cast hooked a small smallmouth bass. 4 more followed, only one was a bit over a pound, the others just youngins....but fun to catch! So far, I have to say this Gulp worm is a winner.

Note: here and there the Gulp worm got a spray of YUM.

Most hits came soon after the cast, sometimes before it hit bottom - others came on the slow twich retrieve.
Old 08-16-08, 02:28 PM   #20
Jim80

WE have had the opposite reaction the green gulp worms we bought and tried and eventually threw out , but if they are working for you by all means keep throwing them , one of the biggest things is to have confidence in your bait . Lately I have only been throwing woolly Hawgtails and assorted spinners with a crank or two thrown in mostly because they have been producing for me in most conditions .
Old 08-25-08, 02:10 PM   #21
Abbeysdad

Well, my enthusiasm for the Gulp green 5" shaky worm has diminished some - next two times out and some minor hits but no catches. I've now also tried the green 5" sinking minnow and a purple screw tail thing - all with little success. I think the one day I got lucky and happened into a school of smallmouths where the bait and the competition made for better hits, easier to hook up.

Oh well, I go fishin cause there's more fishin than catchin!
Old 08-25-08, 02:31 PM   #22
Jim80

I've been on a yum dinger kick lately because they have been producing well although I just picked up some of the powerbait shakey worms and can't wait to try them out .

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.