Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-24-08, 10:44 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Swimbaits

Anybody had any luck with Storm swimbaits? I've tried a green and a white/silver in a 3" or so - they have a realistic look and swim action, but I don't seem to have any luck with them so far.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 11:41 AM   #2
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Keep trying... Pesistance with an unfimilair bait more often than not pays off. People too often try a new bait, try it out for a while then give up on it forever.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 04:18 PM   #3
cassidyta

I use them a lot. They are a good spring bait and are deadly when the bass are chasing the shad. I have found that the key is an eratic swim. Also, if they are reeled fast, they will turn to their sides. Most people consider this a flaw in the design, but I like to reel like crazy then twitch as it settles. Going from it's side to an appearance od dying has worked well for me. I have had a lot of luck jigging them in the later summer months. I will add a glass tube of beads to the body for this. I don't like the curly tail ones for the jigging, but the others work well for me.
I am a cheap man...lol....I use them places where I would be hesitant to throw a more expensive lure.
Lastly, if you get them too torn up, the hook with built in weight, is great on flukes.
Old 08-25-08, 08:18 AM   #4
Abbeysdad

Good points - perhaps these swimbaits work best in mid spring when shad minnows are a more dominant food source. By now worms, frogs, salamanders are likely more productive.
Old 08-25-08, 04:54 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

I think Cassidya has got it right. Earlier in the year, I was throwing soft plastic swimbaits and had much success. Lately, they (the stubborn fish) won't even look at them.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 02:30 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i like the 5 inch swimbaits, haven't hooked to much yet on them at brookville lake, but they have worked well in ponds so far.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 02:39 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

I had occasion recently to make a stop at a BPS (which blew me away). (First time I'd ever been in a BPS)
I couldn't get over the selection of swimbaits and some of the [large] sizes. Some of these baits seem nearly as big as some of the fish I've caught! Clearly some of these have to be for trolling deep lakes for really big fish!

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-26-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 03:26 PM   #8
cassidyta

I have a few of the swimbaits that are between 8" and 11". The big one's I have are all rainbow trout. (almost all of our lakes are stocked with rainbows from nov-apr) They do work for deep water trolling, but they are also great in the spring time right before the spawn.
My favorate right now is the mattslure woody. (no comments from the peanut gallery)
http://www.mattlures.com/woodwaker.htm

I have also taken a real liking to blue gill swim baits.
http://www.mattlures.com/bluegillswimbait.htm

Either way, if you decide to go up in size, make sure your rod and reel can support it. It can be very frustrating to be holding the bottom half of what was once a 1 piece rod while you look into the water hoping that hawg will snag on something so you can dive in if you have to. (no, i don't want to talk about it LOL)
Old 08-26-08, 03:38 PM   #9
doc

I like the baby bass from mattlures.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 04:50 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I have a few of the swimbaits that are between 8" and 11". The big one's I have are all rainbow trout. (almost all of our lakes are stocked with rainbows from nov-apr) They do work for deep water trolling, but they are also great in the spring time right before the spawn.
My favorate right now is the mattslure woody. (no comments from the peanut gallery)
http://www.mattlures.com/woodwaker.htm

I have also taken a real liking to blue gill swim baits.
http://www.mattlures.com/bluegillswimbait.htm

Either way, if you decide to go up in size, make sure your rod and reel can support it. It can be very frustrating to be holding the bottom half of what was once a 1 piece rod while you look into the water hoping that hawg will snag on something so you can dive in if you have to. (no, i don't want to talk about it LOL)
These look really great - with the cost, I'd cry a river if I got one hung up!
Old 08-26-08, 05:23 PM   #11
cassidyta

65lbs braid and and a strong back have helped in those cases....lol
Old 08-27-08, 11:13 AM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

This is an awesome bait that has many aplications. I swim it of course Slow & fast. But i also jig it off the bottom. On the river i notice allot of catfishermen use goldfish for bait. In the muddy water they stand out real good as targets. So i baught a bag of storm 5/8 oz swimbaits in a gold fish pattern. What i saw was if cats could see the bait so could Bass. Try jigging them slowly with a small constant hop. This lure has many uses. not just swimming.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 03:49 PM   #13
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ont throw them anywhere near a rockfish(striper) unless you want your rod broken. I have caught bass on them at Cherokee but also stripers and hybreds. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.