Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-16-10, 12:10 PM   #1
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for an expert opinion

First off I would like to say hello to everyone on the forums. As you've guessed I'm new, and my name is Matt

I live in NYC and like to fish the local ponds. They're are some REALLY big fish in these lakes and ponds around here.

Here's my question. The pond I like to fish has a heavy turtle population. The deepest part of this pond is MAYBE 6 feet deep but I could be wrong. The water is a dark tan and you can see the really big carp swimming around when the come close to the surface. Part of this pond is shady, the other part sunny.

I've got some gamakatsu hooks and some yamamoto lures. What type of rig would be good for a shallow pond like this? I always hear about the bass in there but cant seem to catch them. I've just started to use fake bait for the first time in my life. I was always a life bait/worm type of guy.

any suggestions? and tips? Lets pretend I'm new to fishing.
armyof12monkeyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 01:37 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome Matt.

I am confident that you will get several suggestions. While all of them will work in certain situations, they may not in yours. In my local ponds, this is what I do.

Being that you have stated that you have yamamoto lures, I will assume you mean Senko's? Probably the easiest one to use would be to "wacky rig" the bait. This simply means to bend it in half and run the hook through the center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wacky rig.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	5358

The technique is fairly easy to use. Cast it out and let it fall. Once it falls, reel in slack, raise your rod tip and let it fall again. Repeat.

The other option is to Tegas-Rig them alson known as T-rigging.
The technique is pretty much the same. It just changes the action.

Click image for larger version

Name:	texas rig.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	5359
Old 06-16-10, 01:59 PM   #3
islandbass

cassidy show you the way. Spot on cass!

Caution when using senkos. Don't watch the shimmy as they descend for too long. You might actually jump in and try to bite it yourself.
Old 06-16-10, 05:10 PM   #4
bassinbob

Welcome to the forum. Follow the info above, can't go wrong.
Old 06-16-10, 07:34 PM   #5
Marty

Welcome Matt. Both rigs described above are very effective, but the weed situation in that pond could dictate which rig to use. By the way, if you should hook into a snapping turtle, you'll have quite a fight on your hands!!

Quote:
I've just started to use fake bait
I'm not trying to be critical, but the usual term would be "artificial lures" or just "lures."

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 07:40 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hi Matt. What type of rod, reel, and line do you have? It can make a difference in casting, and might help narrow down what type of lures you can use effectively for your situation.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:12 PM   #7
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Welcome Matt.

I am confident that you will get several suggestions. While all of them will work in certain situations, they may not in yours. In my local ponds, this is what I do.

Being that you have stated that you have yamamoto lures, I will assume you mean Senko's? Probably the easiest one to use would be to "wacky rig" the bait. This simply means to bend it in half and run the hook through the center.

Attachment 5358

The technique is fairly easy to use. Cast it out and let it fall. Once it falls, reel in slack, raise your rod tip and let it fall again. Repeat.

The other option is to Tegas-Rig them alson known as T-rigging.
The technique is pretty much the same. It just changes the action.

Attachment 5359
Of these two styles, I'd recommend the T-rig to a newbie. IMO it is an easier to get the hang of. I would also tell you to go pick up a few Johnson's Beetle-Spins from you local wal-mart, they are real cheap there, and they make a really good beginner lure.
Old 06-16-10, 11:19 PM   #8
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Of these two styles, I'd recommend the T-rig to a newbie. IMO it is an easier to get the hang of. I would also tell you to go pick up a few Johnson's Beetle-Spins from you local wal-mart, they are real cheap there, and they make a really good beginner lure.
Beetle spins rock!

The rigs mentioned are great.
The only suggestion I have would be to use natural colors in a pond like that. Like off white, black, pumpkinseed... etc. I rarely have any luck with the more flashy colors like chartruse in the ponds I fish that are simular to what you've described.
Old 06-17-10, 10:33 AM   #9
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

First off, thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Quote:
Welcome Matt...
Ive been doing mostly everything you've suggested so I'm glad to see I'm approaching this pond with the right idea. You really had a lot of good stuff to say, thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Hi Matt. What type of rod, reel, and line do you have? It can make a difference in casting, and might help narrow down what type of lures you can use effectively for your situation.
I have an 8 foot ugly stick, 10lbs test, I don't know the make and model of the reel I have off hand. I'm going to buy a new reel today. I have no clue what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I'm not trying to be critical, but the usual term would be "artificial lures" or just "lures."
Hey Marty, artificial lures it is! I've been fishing for years but when I talk about fishing I sound like I'm completely new. I'm trying to sound more knowledgeable about fishing, hence why I joined the forums... So thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Oh yeah and Marty, I caught a big snapper the night before I made this post. It was about the size of a 17 inch computer monitor
Old 06-17-10, 10:52 AM   #10
cassidyta

In my original response, I was trying to give you an answer based on what you had on hand already.
In a pond as shallow as the one you described, I would also consider throwing some other types of weightless worms. The two that I would suggest are robo and zoom trick worms.
Roboworms, like most hand poured, will float. The hook will keep the head down as the tail "wiggles". I like to use these in grasses and slowly work it through the area.
I like to use trick worms when I am moving a bait a little faster. Twitching it back to me will cause it to "swim" side to side.
Old 06-17-10, 11:07 AM   #11
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyof12monkeyss View Post

I have an 8 foot ugly stick, 10lbs test, I don't know the make and model of the reel I have off hand. I'm going to buy a new reel today. I have no clue what to get.
baitcaster or spinning reel?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 12:34 PM   #12
3dkicker

Army of 12,
Take a look at the rod just up from the handle and it should give you information about the rod. For example 6'6" Med F and it might give you a lure weight range 1/8-3/8. Reels usually have the brand, reel name, and size. An example is Shimano Curado 205. Let us know what you have and how much you are looking to spend and we can give you some ideas. Always remember that what works for one fisherman may or may not work for another.
Old 06-17-10, 12:40 PM   #13
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
In my original response....
You're original response was great! It was exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm not new to fishing but everything Ive learned Ive taught myself.

You're second response was better then your first. Its little tips and tricks I'm looking for to improve my fishing.
Old 06-17-10, 12:45 PM   #14
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
baitcaster or spinning reel?
Sorry, its a spinning real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Army of 12,
Take a look at the rod just up from the handle and it should give you information about the rod. For example 6'6" Med F and it might give you a lure weight range 1/8-3/8. Reels usually have the brand, reel name, and size. An example is Shimano Curado 205. Let us know what you have and how much you are looking to spend and we can give you some ideas. Always remember that what works for one fisherman may or may not work for another.
Oh wow, I was un aware that rods have this info there. I'll have to check. I wanted to get a new spinning reel today but after reading this maybe i should wait. I'm pretty poor right now so I'm looking to spend about $50 bucks on a reel.
Old 06-17-10, 12:58 PM   #15
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Sorry, its a spinning real.

Oh wow, I was un aware that rods have this info there. I'll have to check. I wanted to get a new spinning reel today but after reading this maybe i should wait. I'm pretty poor right now so I'm looking to spend about $50 bucks on a reel.

You can get a decent reel for $50. There are plenty of nice ones in that range, but if you feel like you want something better than wait. I was where you are a few weeks ago when I was looking at some moderately priced casters that were a step above my budget reel. I decided to wait too, so I can get a really good one, instead of just a better one.

However, this is just fishing we are talking about, if you feel like you don't want to spend the extra dough then I am sure some of our more knowledgeable gear heads here can point you in the right direction for your budget...
Old 06-17-10, 01:01 PM   #16
WTL

I was gonna suggest a beetlespin as well, the problem is they are pretty light and I don't know if your combo is set up for that or not. 8' ugly stik would probably be a catfish rod, in which case you might as well try and cast with a piece of rebar.

I also think floating worms are great pond lures, get a lot of action and they can be cast on a little bit heavier tackle.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-10, 01:09 PM   #17
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
I was gonna suggest a beetlespin as well, the problem is they are pretty light and I don't know if your combo is set up for that or not. 8' ugly stik would probably be a catfish rod, in which case you might as well try and cast with a piece of rebar.

I also think floating worms are great pond lures, get a lot of action and they can be cast on a little bit heavier tackle.
If you get the big one it shouldn't be a problem. Plus you can add a splitshot to it wit out screwing up the action. I have line weights on a few of mine, helps them stay deep.
Old 06-17-10, 01:09 PM   #18
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
You can get a decent reel for $50. There are plenty of nice ones in that range, but....
UGH! I don't know what to do now. I plan on fishing all weekend in PA so I think I'm going to just go get a new one.

Quote:

lol I'm became a catfish fishermen by default. For some reason I can pull cat fish out of any body of water... no so lucky with bass. I've only caught 3 in my whole life
Old 06-17-10, 05:40 PM   #19
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
UGH! I don't know what to do now. I plan on fishing all weekend in PA so I think I'm going to just go get a new one.
Is there some reason your current reel can't hack it for the weekend?

Reason I ask is because I find it better to put off decisions like this when I am confused and under pressure.
Old 06-17-10, 09:31 PM   #20
Cavs1123

You cant go wrong with a Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning reel in the 2000 size.(sometimes 20 size for short) Make sure you get some 8-10lb line to spool it up with!
Old 06-18-10, 09:21 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site Army of 12.

If you're going to get a new spinning reel, I'd high suggest getting a Pflueger President. I believe they are $60. I would get the 6735X model for all around bass fishing.

Spinning reels (or most of them) follow a pretty standard sizing method. Sizes include 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, etc. Sometimes, like Cavs said, they are abbreviated by dropping the last two zeros. Sometimes (like in the case of the Abu Garcia Cardinal reels) there is the model of the reel (say a 300 series), and the size (say a 2000) and it would be written as 302. In general, a 2500 sized reel will hold roughly the same about of line in most brands.

Pflueger; however, uses an older system. In the item number I recommended above (6735), the first two are the model number (the President spinning reels are 67), and the last two are the size. But on a Pflueger, a 35 sized reel isn't the same as a standard 3500. It's actually closer to a 2500.

BB
Old 06-18-10, 10:09 AM   #22
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Under the gun I made my purchase and went fishing yesterday... new post soon to follow in the bragging message board.
Old 06-18-10, 10:46 AM   #23
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah.... here's the new post. Check out my catch.
Old 06-18-10, 11:32 AM   #24
Bassboss

Haha! All righty, I guess I'll jump in!

I assume you're fishing central park? Watch this http://www.rockville.tv/lunkerville/...cprevisit.html

That fellas fishing there!

I'm not really sure what you have exactly, so I'll pretty much start from from the basics!

As I suggest to all newbies, start with one or two techniques, and build you confidence in them! The two I'll Always suggest are worms, and spinnerbaits! Beetles spins are great too!

Before I go into great detail I'll say this! Get a good combo!! I can not tell you how important it is to have a decent ROD. You can get by with a sub-par reel, but a good rod is a MUST!! It HAS to be a graphite rod (you can get a non-graphite rod for other techniques, but wait till you get a little better ). Ugly sticks have there place, but bass fishing is not that place.
Get you self some cash, and go down to wall mart, and get Berkly Lightning spinning rod. I suggest a 7 foot Medium (M), or Medium Heavy (MH) action spinning rod. Put on that Daiwa You got!

Now for the lures (I copy and pasted most of this from other posts of mine just so you know) Get some 5" Yum Dingers in watermelon red color, and some 7, or 6" curly tail worms (I like power bait worms), in red shade color, or black. Than get some 3/0 EWG (extra wide gap hooks), and a pack of 1/0 offset hooks. Than a pack of 3/16oz bullet weights! Than get 2 spinnerbaits. Walmart brand is fine. One white one, one chartreuses one. One with a willow blade, the other with a Colorado blade. The Curly tail worms and bullet weights are for texas rigs.

Using you senkos!

Senkos are now one of my favorite baits! I always catch lots of fish on them, and often some quality fish too! They're very versatile , and can be rig a number of ways to match what the fish want! They can be fished in a lot of places, and are very weedless. My favorite place to fish them is around coontail, and other stalky grasses hydrilla, millfoil, etc. (this is not to say it won't work around pads, wood or what ever other kinda cover you like to fish).

I like a 3/0 EWG and a 5" senko for 90% of my senko fishing. Watermelon red, green pumpkin, and pumpkin are the best colors for me! And a 1/0 off set, or EWG, hook for wacky rigs!

As far as weather to rig them wacky, or weightless Texas rig (my to favorite, and the most common ways), the way I determine is which ever one the fish want that day. The way I do so is start off with the regular t-rigged weightless worm, I do don't catch anything on either of them, I usually switch to a wacky rig finesse worm.

It's very simple to use them. The trick is, is to keep a tight enough line to feel the bites, but a loose enough one allow the bait to fall vertically (or close to it). Regardless of whether you learn this happy medium or lot (and it will take some time), ALWAYS watch the line for those light bites. Simply cast the line to a likely fish holding spot, and let it settle to the bottom, with your rod at an about 8:00, or 8:30 position, and slowly lift the rod, and some twitches in there to about a 11:00 position. If something looks wrong with how the line is moving (for example if it's sitting in the same 3' of water in 5' of water) for any period of time, lift the rod slowly to tell if it's a fish or not (you should feel an unusual amount of tension), and set the hook whether or not your 100% sure if it's a fish or lot. If you see it move backward, or side ways, than tighten the line a bit, and set the hook with a few inches of slack in the line.

The texas rig worm:

Cast it out to a likely spot, and let it sink to the bottom. I'll side sweep the rod slowly and when I get a little hung on a piece weed or something, and I'll give it a little pop. It'll jerk it out and send some plooms of dust or soot, and draw attention to it. They'll hit shortly after most often. It's almost like a crankbait hitting after you knock a stump or something. Never peg with way, when you knock it out of weeds, the weight will go up and than down, leaving the worm on the fall. I think that is VITAL for this technique. When A fish hits it'll be a little more pressure, and or a little bump, bump. Give a few seconds, 3, or 4, and set the hook hard straight up, towards your chest, you'll get more power and a better hook set this way.

Around pads I'll do it a 'lill different. And I learned this from someone in his late 20's. He lived around here all his life when lakes where all over the place. He slowly swam the worm near the bottom almost like fishing a spinnerbait. Twitching the rod tip up a little and reel it at a medium place. Fish will hit almost like they're hit a t-rig. Set the hook the same way. Not this technique this I rig it a little different. Same weight bullet head with a PEGGED weight. A strong offset hook (EWG will work, but I think the offset shank will work better, it'll slid though the stalk better) Don't let the hook penetrate the worm when you rig it, just hook through the center of the worm (if don't make sense, I can give you an illustration). Let it take it longer because you rig it this way, and CROSS THERE EYES on the hook set to get the hook to penetrate the plastic and the fishes mouth! A sharp hook is a must!

The spinnerbaits:

Spinnerbaits are easy to use and effective. There's no right or wrong way to fish them. The way most people fish them is with a straight, fast to medium-fast retrieve. However, I have found that a stop and go retrieve is also effective, as is an erratic one done by shaking the rod tip slightly on the retrieve so as to make the skirt pulsate. I also will make speed changes a lot, I'll be reeling it in, and then will suddenly start reeling fast, than kill it! A lot of my bass on spinnerbaits come by doing this. I think I get a lot of my bass this way for the same reason you wanna knock a crankbait on a piece of wood, or rock. This change in speed triggers a bass to hit! Most of them time you wanna keep the bait relatively high in the water column! Another VERY effective way to fish them is to wake them, this is easiest to do with a big willow leaf blade or Colorado blade, Simply cast out and reel, reeling fast enough to keep a constant wake on the water.

Another good way to fish them is slow-roll them. I also like to do this with a big number 5 willow, or a number 4 Colorado. Cast out let the bait sinks to the bottom and start reeling relatively slowly. This will keep the blade rotating and kicking up silt on the bottom, it's kind of a reveres waking method! Another thing I like to do with spinnerbaits is to bring them over hydrilla, and where there's a hole in it, drop in side there, bass will hit them then too!

There's almost no limit as to where you can fish spinnerbaits. There pretty weedless, you can can pull them through wood, and weeds relatively snag free. Don't afraid to throw them in the thick stuff like hydrilla and and reeds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps you Army, catch a boat load man!
Old 06-18-10, 02:16 PM   #25
armyof12monkeyss
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey BassBoss thanks for the information. Ill look into it.

I'm fishing in a little pond called Brooks Pond. Here's a link to some info about the pond. Its in Staten Island which is its own separate island, but none the less still part of NYC. We have a lot of lakes here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.