Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-03-10, 09:39 PM   #1
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Default need some advise

Im looking for a long casting low profile reel that i can also use for some lighter lures like a strike king series 3 or deep cranking. Now i have a lower grade ambassador reel 5-3 ratio and just dont really like it. I like the lower profiles but dont want to lose the distance; any suggestions?
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 10:35 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're asking for a recommendation of specific reels, then knowing your budget would help. I could recommend a $50 reel to you, but also a $480 reel.

For lighter baits, I don't think you'll be able to beat the Daiwa Sol for that price, unless you want to get into JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) gear. And then, you'll be way above the price of a Sol.

The new Curado 50 is another option, but I haven't heard a lot about it yet and what I have heard is mixed reviews.

If you can afford them, the Daiwa Steez 103 and the Shimano Core 50 should both cast the baits you are talking about great.

Another good thing about the Sol though is it has a lower gear ratio, great for those cranks you mentioned.

BB
Old 09-03-10, 10:49 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BB definately knows his stuff. I just wanted to add I bought a BPS Rick Clunn reel last year exactly for this purpose and it works great. And for the price it's a good deal.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 10:58 PM   #4
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Just my opinion here, you can't beat a Quantum Energy PT. It is in the mid price range and I have no problem casting lures from an 1/8 oz up on my. The Accurist PT is a real good reel for the price. It also cast the light lures very well. I haven't had the chance to try the Tour Edition but I can't see how it could be much better than the Energy, but I hope to find out soon. In case you haven't noticed I really like Quantum reels ...lol...

Like BB said though the Daiwa's are good reels too, but not a big fan of Shimano.

Oh well just my two cents.

DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 11:53 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you are planning on deep cranking with this reel, I would recommend getting something with a low gear ratio.

A couple of good cranking reels at decent prices are the BPS Pro Qualifier and the Daiwa Exceler.
Both come in low gear ratios and both are good values. I own a Exceler and it has been a very reliable reel that handles light baits pretty well. I've never fished the PQ but I have a few friends that swear by them and they have a very good reputation.

I use a Shimano Curado E5 for deep cranking, I am very happy with its performance. Curado's are in the middle of the pack, price wise, and have a very loyal following. The Curado doesn't fit my hand very well but that is not the reel's fault. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one based on its performance and price.

If money is less of a object, I would look hard at the Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker. Zillions are built like tanks and buttery smooth. I don't have the cranking model but I do have the 6.3:1 version. I think I like it better than any other reel I've ever owned. It palms perfectly and performs smoothly and flawlessly.

There are many other good cranking reels out there, those are just the ones I have experience with. If you let us know your budget I'm sure you will get more specific responses.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old 09-04-10, 01:39 AM   #6
Tavery5

Most of the reels that will cast light baits (1/8th and under) have been mentioned, other that the daiwa pixy, wich it probably the very best, also one of the most expensive. But something that is equally important when you talk aboout casting light baits is the rod. Wont matter what reel you use if you are not matching it with an equally capable rod.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 04:42 PM   #7
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive got the st croix mojo bass 7' mh. great rod.
hey thanks for the advice!
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 06:14 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt79 View Post
Ive got the st croix mojo bass 7' mh. great rod.
hey thanks for the advice!
I like the Mojo rods myself, but you might want to consider that the 7.0MH is a fast action rod designed to throw baits from 3/8oz to 1oz. You may want to look at the Mojo in a 7.0M fast or even the 6.8M XF they are designed to throw the lighter 1/4oz to 5/8 oz baits.

Jrob78 loves the new Shimano Caeman and can tell you all about it.

Anyway good luck

Last edited by Tavery5; 09-04-10 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-05-10, 11:24 AM   #9
Bender

I like throwing a lot of little, light crankbaits. Bandit 200's, Manns Baby 1-, Speed Traps, even these tiny little Spro crankbaits. I've played around a lot with it and finally got a setup that works pretty well. I use a 7' Medium-Light rod and a Citica 100DSV reel that I put Boca Bearings in. I'll say that the whippy rod and bearing upgrade was key to throwing the light baits and getting them to go a long way.

Don't count out buying a less than top end reel and upgrading the spool bearings. I think you will come out ahead in the long run for less money than a little more expensive reel for something like this. Of course my favorite light bait reel that I have is the Chronarch 50Mg, wish I had a lot more of them but they did cost 2.5x the Citica.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 01:47 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Jrob78 loves the new Shimano Caeman and can tell you all about it.

Hahaha! We're even now.
Old 09-05-10, 01:50 PM   #11
Tavery5

Was wondering if you were gonna notice that
Old 09-05-10, 01:52 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Don't count out buying a less than top end reel and upgrading the spool bearings.
Tavery and I discussed this awhile back, based on that discussion I ordered a set of Orange Seals for my Curado. I haven't had the opportunity to fish them very much but I would definitely agree that they will increase your ability to throw light baits a long way. I am impressed.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-05-10 at 08:33 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.