Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-23-11, 10:50 AM   #1
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Swimbait Help

OK guys, I need a little help. I've fished very little with swimbaits, but last weekend, I thought conditions were just right. The fish wanted just a little different presentation than a fast moving crankbait, so I made the switch over to the swimbait. I began getting good strikes, but was not able to land a fish. The first couple of strikes, I understood missing because I was maybe a little quick on the draw, but the rest of them, I let the fish take the bait and begin to swim off before setting the hook, still no successful hook set. On the last one, I even showed my fishing partner that I had a fish on. I could tell it was a good one just by the way it was swimming off. I told the guy in the boat with me to watch me attempt to set the hook to see if there was something else I was doing wrong. Sure enough, when I pulled back to set the hook, the fish didn't really move a whole lot, which confirmed to me that he was a good one. About a second later, he spit it out. I was so frustrated, I don't know what else I could have done. I know that you sometimes just miss fish, but that was the fifth one with similar results.

I was fishing with the Berkley Hollow Belly Swimbait, rigged weedless. The fish were hitting it hard as they ripped both eyes out of the bait. The hook was getting pretty good exposure as the bait did slide up the hook like I would imagine it should. Any suggestions?
JHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 11:08 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My first question is what tackle are you using and what size/type of hook. I go with a 5/0-6/0 swimbait style hook at least with the screw in nose wire for holding the bait. I also use a 7' heavy/fast action rod with braided line. I often am working my swimbaits around lilly pads and other cover which is why I like the braid. Also with very little stretch, I get solid hooksets.
Old 04-23-11, 11:17 AM   #3
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention tackle. 6'6" med-heavy, fast action. 8 lb test on the edges of grass. Not sure on the hook size, but it is EWG with the lead on the shank of the hook, it was what came in the pack. This was my first time to really give it a try, so I had not gone out to find more hooks for it. I was a sucker for a Bill Dance promo item (I know, I know), but it was getting strikes...
Old 04-23-11, 12:21 PM   #4
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the 8 lb. line is probably not allowing you to get a good hookset, the rod might also not have enough power to really set the hook throuhg the plastic.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 12:32 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
the 8 lb. line is probably not allowing you to get a good hookset, the rod might also not have enough power to really set the hook throuhg the plastic.
Jig hit it on the nail. The 8 pound line is way to light with way too much stretch for that type of lure. The rod might be ok but a 7' heavy would be better IMO. Also, I wouldn't go less that 17-20 pound mono, but the braid would be an even better choice. I'm 100% sure your 8 pound line is the culprit.
Old 04-23-11, 12:36 PM   #6
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I wondered about that. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision and I didn't really have anything else available at the time. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try on braid next time.
Old 04-23-11, 01:26 PM   #7
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

While I do agree that a heavier rod would help, I don't think that the 8lbs will keep you from catching them. I am not saying that it is the best choice, but it will work.
I think the line is just fine as long as you switch to a smaller hook. I actually throw my hollow boddied baits on a 2/0 hook. The reason behind this is that I want to hook the inside of the mouth and not drive it through the lip. I thread the line deeper into the bait so that the hook is exposed in the back.
In the past, I was a big fan of braid on swimbaits, but last year I switched away from it and doubt I will go back. Since I am looking to get a hookset inside the mouth, the stretch is not a concern.
Old 04-23-11, 02:14 PM   #8
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
While I do agree that a heavier rod would help, I don't think that the 8lbs will keep you from catching them. I am not saying that it is the best choice, but it will work.
I think the line is just fine as long as you switch to a smaller hook. I actually throw my hollow boddied baits on a 2/0 hook. The reason behind this is that I want to hook the inside of the mouth and not drive it through the lip. I thread the line deeper into the bait so that the hook is exposed in the back.
In the past, I was a big fan of braid on swimbaits, but last year I switched away from it and doubt I will go back. Since I am looking to get a hookset inside the mouth, the stretch is not a concern.
Hmmm that makes sense. I'll have to try that.

op, I usually use 3/0 to 5/0 depending on the size of the bait. I think a sharper hook will drastically improve hook set. Something like gami's or owners
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 09:14 PM   #9
bigfish 1
BassFishin.Com Member

i also use 8# pro bass line and a 6'8" mojo med.rod with the fast action tip with a 3/0 gamagooche hook and have no problem getting a good hook set,but.....i had maybe at the most 40 ft. of line out because i was pitching stumps with the zoom swimin fluke 4".
how much line did you have out and did you reel in your slack before you set the hook?
Old 04-23-11, 11:00 PM   #10
Lvitch

Far too Weak line, weak rod, and I bet ya didn't slit the bait behind the hook point. You need to do that with the weighted ewg's. The plastic balls up on the weight (which won't pull through the swimbait) and you won't get a good hook set. Run a 7' med heavy rod with 15-20 lb line or braid. I'll snap 8 lb test easy on a hook set. The biggest hook id run for any bait on 8 lb would be a 2/0, you just can't drive that big of a hook anywhere with that light of a set up. But not cutting a slit behind the hook point on that hook in particular will kill ya.
Old 04-24-11, 01:30 AM   #11
JHolmes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish 1 View Post
how much line did you have out and did you reel in your slack before you set the hook?
Yes, I reeled in all the slack and I definitely had less than 40' of line out.

Cassidyta, that is an interesting thought. Thanks for the tip.

Lvitch, you are right that I did not cut a slit behind the hook at all. I only put the hook all the way through to create a good path, but maybe that wasn't enough. The bait did ball up on me, but the tail did slide up quite a ways to where the hook point had plenty of exposure to be set IMHO. I will give the slit a try and see if that helps.
Old 04-24-11, 08:27 AM   #12
Lvitch

Works like a charm. Definatly up size the tackle too. You can use a regular ewg type hook and tx rig the "skinned dipper" style swimbaits with a little lighter tackle. The hollow body stuff requires a stouter rig to make it work well.
Old 04-24-11, 08:32 AM   #13
Mac2

On flukes, the basic fish shape, the locals texpose the hook rather than having it buried entirely for weedless, they then pinch a tiny bit of "skin" and put it over the point.....if they still lose too many, they take a small treble and slide it over the hookpoint and then bury one prong of the treble in the body. With it rigged this way, the small treble doesn't severely hook into the weed and will rip free.....just after ripping they seem to pause and someitmes get a hit on the pause. As they don't have pads in this area, I don't know how they would work in that case.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 10:34 PM   #14
Bass Assault
BassFishin.Com Member

I'ma hafta agree with the texposing. If I'm fishing any soft lure and the fish are being shy about hitting it (not that yours were it sounds), I'll texpose the hook and it definitely seems to help.
Bass Assault is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.