Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-02-11, 07:23 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default High water strategy.....

Alot of us have been overrun with rain recently, and most of the bodies of water we fish are at high levels....I would be interested to hear what are your fishing strategies during these conditions?

I mostly fish two lakes of about 300 acres each.....both are at their max capacity right now....during times of high water, I feel like I should try and get into shallow areas that fish have not had access to before and fish with spinnerbaits since the waters are usually really murky....I don't know if this is correct thinking, but thats what I tend to do.....I also go as far up the feeder creek as I can and fish the inflowing waters....sometimes that seems productive but not at other times....So what do ya'll do?
Old 05-02-11, 07:50 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, when I go fishing opening day this weekend, I'll go to one of two places.

If I got the lake, I'd like to try to go to the norther cove of the Lower Red Lake where there's a fresh water feeder creek, I hope the water there is a little clearer, as the water coming out of the dam from the upper red is solid brown, and super muddy as a result of the high water. I'll probably toss a suspending jerkbait, tube, or lipless crank. Looking at the weather it seems like it'll the water's gonna start getting warm, we've gotta a few 60* days with rain. Hopefully that'll warm them up and getting into pre-spawn.

If I don't go to the lake, I'll go the river for a smallie trip, (which is less likely because of dangerous wading conditions). I'm hoping the high water will concentrates the fish in. I'll try dragging tubes, grubs or hair jigs. I'm gonna find some small feeder creeks on google earth, I that I hope will have clearer warmer water. Maybe I'll even try tossing a red rattle trap seeing if the rip at it cause it pisses 'em off to much!
Old 05-03-11, 06:54 AM   #3
walkeraviator

There are two schools of thought among anglers in Kentucky when the water is high. One school of thought is to go shallow. Flipping Brush, fishing buildings and man made cover thats been flooded, etc. There was a big rash of guys catching lots of numbers off the flooded parking lots at boat ramps (holds heat real well). I tend to like this when the water is just coming up and the grass is freshly flooded (green grass > bugs > bait fish > bass).

The other school of thought is that these fish will relate to the original shoreline when the water gets high. These are the guys who throw deep diving crankbaits and jigs out a little deeper. This gets to be a little hard when the lakes get like Taylorsville lake which is now almost 40ft over summer pool.

Now just remember that when they start drawing teh lake back down after the flood, these fish will pull out(and at teh lake I fish a lot they like to suspend). So look for them deeper than you found them before, and watch your electronics for signs that they are suspended.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 07:53 AM   #4
keithdog

I tend to start working the shallow waters when our lakes start to flood. They are natural lakes without dams to raise or lower the height of the water level. If it floods, it stays there till it drops naturally. My thought is that the high water brings nutiants into the lake that draws baitfish which in turn attracts larger preditors. I'll be pitchin to shallow cover with jigs, t-rigged plastics, and spinnerbaits. Color choice depends on the water clarity.
Old 05-03-11, 08:04 AM   #5
JB

Our lake is 18 ft over pool and the fish are shallow following the newly flooded areas. One is a flooded golf course. Anything moving fast gets lots of bites, bigger fish for me this week were on plastics close to the bank under cover.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 08:20 AM   #6
lilmule

Being a bookworm at heart tend to throw the book at them.
Both fresh newly floodedcover and original shoreline hold merit,depending upon how deep that original shoreline is.
As for tossing in the bushes thats ok just dont go in the bushes,much of kentucky and or tennessee,they contain resting copperheads or cottonmouths that will come tumbling down and be very irritated about the matter.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 08:21 AM   #7
lilmule

Being a bookworm at heart tend to throw the book at them.
Both fresh newly flooded cover and original shoreline hold merit,depending upon how deep that original shoreline is.
As for tossing in the bushes thats ok just dont go in the bushes,much of kentucky and or tennessee,they contain resting copperheads or cottonmouths that will come tumbling down and be very irritated about the matter.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.