Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-12, 09:29 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default New strategies for 2013?

I know it may be a little early for this kind of post, but sitting home here from work sick, I needed something to do. Besides, us northern boys only have another 6-8 weeks of open water left. "I wish there was a sad face in the smilies faces to add here". Anyways, I was thinking it would make for a fun post to see what changes you already have in mind for your bass angling for 2013? Are you changing or adding anything? Trying out something new? I'll get it started.
The main thing I'm going to change is my choice of line weights. I know some folks will think I'm off my rocker, but hey, I can always change back. I still will use 50 lb. braid on my frog rod, and 15 pound braid on my one and only spinning rod which rarely sees any use. But up untill now, I've used an assortment of mono or copoly lines for other uses. I've used 12 pound mono for my medium diving cranks, and 15 pound mono for shallow and deep diving cranks and surface lures. I've used 17 pound for large surface lures, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs and worms, ect. And I use 20 pound copoly for pitchin t-rigged plastics. In 2013, I'm planning to simplify all that. I really prefer copoly over mono to begin with. I've decided to spool up with only two line weights next year. That being 15# and 20#. The 15# will be used for all my cranking needs and small topwater. The 20# line will be for everything else. And the line choice is PLINE Floroclear, a line I fell in love with years ago thanks to the suggestion of our buddy Rebbasser. Floroclear is an amazing line to cast with, handles beautifully. And it's strong. I've been using Sufix Elite for crankbaits and Seige where a tougher line application is required. And they are a decent line too. But I like Floroclear better than both and have found it to be just as strong and tough, but with a narrower line diameter. The 20# Floroclear has a line diameter of 0.0164 while the 17 # Seige line is 0.0160. Thats a virtual tie and line diameter thusly will not change how my lures work in the water, but I'll have that stronger line rating when I wish I had it. The Floroclears 15# diameter is similarly the same to 12 pound mono lines. And I'll get the benefits of a copoly over mono, and the flourocarbon coating that is on the Floroclear. I know many will question why I would want the heavier lines, so I'll explain. I've always been a believer in using the heaviest line you can get away with that will also allow the lure to work properly, and achieve the depth you need. I like the reasurance of the stronger line. I realize in certain bodies of water that are gin clear, lighter lines are prefereable, but thats not my situation. I fish naturally formed smaller shallower lakes about 90 acreas in size for the most part. Average depths between 12 and 18 foot depending on the lake with isolated deeper areas. They are full of weeds, "when the DNR doesn't spray them", and lots of brush and laydowns, as well as piers, ect. Areas where a heavier line is very helpfull. And as for crankbaits, I rarely ever work any water deeper than 15-17 foot deep. I don't need a narrower line to try to reach below that. Most of my cranking is going to be in water 8-15 foot deep on average, and often shallower. And I prefer a 15 pound line for working a large bodied crankbait because I believe the larger a crankbait is, the more stress it will put on the line in both casting and retrieving. Now if I were fishing in lakes that are mostly void of vegitation, which many of you here do, I could see the appeal of a lighter line, or if I were fishing deep clearwater lakes, where reaching down deep with your cranks is a must. But thats not my situation. So for 2013, I'm simplifying my line choices. I'm just going to be buying two lines and go from there.
So thats my gig for 2013. Whats yours?

Last edited by keithdog; 09-19-12 at 09:37 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.