Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-06, 05:06 PM   #1
abugarcia6
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default mans's -4

i just got back from walmart and heard that the mans's -4 in crawfish color was good? wut do yall think? and what retrieves are best?
Old 02-12-06, 05:32 PM   #2
flippin4it

I'm a huge fan of the Mann's Minus series. The craw is a great color at times.The retreive will depend on what the fish want. Fan cast the area with a fast/moderate retreive,then moderate and then moderate slow. To see what they want. I have also had success with a slow/twitching retreive. Best of luck.
Old 02-12-06, 05:35 PM   #3
NCYankee

I just bought one last Thursday from WalMart as well. It was on sale for about $1.50. A lot of people suggest using a slow stop and go retrieve in cold water. I personally have caught more bass this winter with a steady medium retrieve.

Last Friday, I spent about two hours fishing nothing but jigs (not my favorite lure.) I caught nothing. In the same area I was using a jig, I swithed to the Mann's 4-. I caught two bass in about fifteen minutes. One was about a pound and a half and the other was about two and half pounds.

As a side note, the lip on mine broke off when I casted it and it hit a laydown. That is the second one I've had that broke like that. I haven't ever had that problem with other companies' cranks. Maybe, it is a coincidence. Ether way, I like the action and noise of the Mann's. I plan on buying more (unless of course another one breaks on me.)
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 05:50 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like that craw color, plus the silver and black, plus the red shiner. we need a one day manns-something tournie dont we ..bet there would be some weight at the scales that day
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 06:05 PM   #5
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One of my favorite lures but I have often overlooked it lately due to the new amount of tackle I have bought in the past couple of months.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-06, 08:50 PM   #6
rrw4258

dont know bout the -4, but i love the -1, in a brown crawdad, during the summer when they will not hit the topwater, or when they quit hitting it, i can catch em with the -1...
my biggest bass of 7.2 lbs was caught and released on a Baby1- Crawdad color! Most of the time i use the burning method, but sometimes like to use stop and go. Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-12-06, 09:10 PM   #7
abugarcia6

so basically the same techniques as other cranks...allright thanks i was just wonderin cuz ive never really used the crawfish color. does that color work good in the dead of winter?
Old 02-13-06, 12:36 AM   #8
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I love the baby -1 too....one of my "tricks" is to toss it out near the edge of weedbeds...(carefully) and let it sit...maybe 20 seconds or more...then start a medium retrieve....not often, but sometimes you will get a tremendous strike, right after you start reeling....good luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 05:06 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I like that craw color, plus the silver and black, plus the red shiner. we need a one day manns-something tournie dont we ..bet there would be some weight at the scales that day
My best crank on the Ohio River has been the -1 in Grey Ghost

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 02:24 AM   #10
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i fished the mann's baby -1 crawdad colored this past weekend and mopped up with about 20 nice bass.....the biggest about 4 lbs....i swear by these baits....they never fail to bring me fish when my partner/sensay isn't catching any.....lol.....
Old 02-14-06, 01:15 PM   #11
betursweetbass

You think it's bad in the back of the boat now,...you just keep this up...see what it gets you.....
Old 02-14-06, 03:03 PM   #12
scrap

dumb question of the day, what pound test line would be best for the baby minus 1 and manns minus 4? which would give the best action? i havent been on the water yet to draw my own conclusions on the two. l know it is a dumb question, i have broad shoulders. you all have a great day.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:25 PM   #13
bassintxlady

oh darn am i bad....that was a total of 20 between the 2 of us sensay....hehehehe....but nevertheless it was the baby - 1 that brought the brunt of mine to shore....
and scrap i use 12 lb test when i'm throwing the baby -1...if i'm feeling fiesty i use 10 lb test...lol....
Old 02-14-06, 07:30 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap
dumb question of the day, what pound test line would be best for the baby minus 1 and manns minus 4? which would give the best action? i havent been on the water yet to draw my own conclusions on the two. l know it is a dumb question, i have broad shoulders. you all have a great day.
Not a dumb question, would've been dumb not to ask. However I can only answer what I use. Either 30 or 50lb Powerpro. Since it's such a shallow diver, size of line isn't to important IMO. But of course I use the same on all my cranks, unless trying to get really deep, I will use 20lb Fireline.

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 07:45 PM   #15
bassintxlady

hey lizard?...i have seen you guys talk about that bigger line not only on here but when i went to the bassmaster university as well.......i guess that really makes me livin on the edge catching my big toads huh?....lol.....
http://profiles.yahoo.com/pulsetkr45 if you copy and paste that link and look at my photos in there you'll see some of the big toads i have boated on the 10 and 12 lb test....
Old 02-14-06, 08:27 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintxlady
hey lizard?...i have seen you guys talk about that bigger line not only on here but when i went to the bassmaster university as well.......i guess that really makes me livin on the edge catching my big toads huh?....lol.....
http://profiles.yahoo.com/pulsetkr45 if you copy and paste that link and look at my photos in there you'll see some of the big toads i have boated on the 10 and 12 lb test....
Nice fish I don't use anything less than 20lb test anymore. Several reasons, but the largest (50lb Powerpro) has the diameter of 12lb mono. I usually fish heavy, and I mean HEAVY cover. It's also a personal thing that I want the fish to the boat asap, for the fishes health, and less chance of losing it. Like Bassintom says, I'll ski it to the boat anytime I can. It does take some time and talent to land big fish with lighter line, theres no doubt about that. I also rarely lose baits too, lots of bent hooks though LOL

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 09:56 PM   #17
rrw4258

for all of my cranks, i use 20lb power pro... it only has 6lb. diameter, so it gets them down deep, plus it is strong
betursweetbass, that is one of my techniques too, my biggest came on this technique... 7.2 lbs!

Ryan
Old 02-15-06, 11:21 AM   #18
bassintxlady

i do fish very heavy covered areas sometimes....i swim a tiki stick (a technique my sensay taught me)....and we've both caught very nice one's out of it doing that....but i still use 12 pound test and i ski em to the boat big time with my new curado 7:0:1....lol....
Old 02-15-06, 12:58 PM   #19
betursweetbass

we do need to check out this "power pro" though....make a note....
Old 02-15-06, 05:02 PM   #20
JB

Nice photo album bassintxlady,
once question tho,
did IKE end up having hand prints all over his butt/ rofl
Old 02-15-06, 05:12 PM   #21
bassintxlady

i'm sure he did JB but not mine.....i wanted to touch kevin van dam's butt..hehehe....it's alot nicer than mikes.....lol....but mike did catch a 4 pound catfish out of the hotel fountain...that really impressed me too....thanks about the pictures JB....come fishin with me sometime...
Old 02-15-06, 08:56 PM   #22
JB

Thats a invitation I'd like to try ! tExas sized bass..
Old 02-15-06, 09:27 PM   #23
zooker

abu
craws seem to work early spring. or late fall. red/green early grey ones late fall..

-4 anit my first choice of a manns bait..

bassin lady
i use 8 pound test on my crankbaits. but i fish a weed free area..

zooker
Old 02-15-06, 11:09 PM   #24
bassintxlady

JB you just give me a shout when your ready and i'll take ya fishin darlin....for some of our Texas Sized Bass!!!.....you wouldn't be disappointed...they are nice indeed.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.