Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-11, 10:16 AM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for the reply to my post.
I would stick with jig fishing from boat in the thickest weeds.I use heavy weight jigs exclusively, I 'm looking for reaction bites from dropping it in the imediate area but you want to let it sit for 30 seconds or so before retrieving it.Heavy weight falling through the water alerts fish near by so it is important to leave it there a bit so a fish has time to find it.I use smelly jelly on my jigs.Bass hammer is my favorite scent in smelly jelly.I think it also allows the jig to slide through the weeds easier. The thing with heavy jigs is you don't really need to clean that snot off each time.The weight of the jig will fall faster than the weight of the snot stuff.once you retrieve the jig,it collects the snot on the jig again.

If i were to fish from shoreline in grass,I would seek an asprin head type jig head like the Hi-Tek WYD jig or a Lunker city panhead jig.It glides over the grass and can be helped to do so by adding a wider chunk trailer to it.I wouldn't use braid,I would use 14-17 lb test so I could break it if I had to.I also would use a 3/8 oz. jig or maybe even go lighter weight so it lifts up in the water to glide easier.

If I use plastics,I use a waveworm bamboo stick.It floats aimless over the weeds in a super slow glide.I like sweet potato color so I can see it easier while fishing it.

I'm sorry I don't use anything new so there may very well be something better that you might know about, I gave you what works for me, now maybe you can add to or figure out how to catch fish in your area on it.

Once you learn to catch one fish on a jig, the hard part is figured out, duplicate what you did to catch the first fish.You will find that more bass seem to hold in milfoil over other weeds in the same lake if its anything like it is here, good luck and don't give up.

Last edited by pig n jig; 02-27-11 at 08:52 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:08 PM   #27
crappieman
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

personally, my favorite jig is a black and chartruse 1 inch squid looking tube lure. not exactly sure what brand is the best, but use a small jig head, black and pink do good, and use a slow retreive. ive caughten tons of crappie with this rig, and thats what i like to ceatch is crappie, but i also have caught bass, and 2 walleye that were 12+ pounds. i have the walleye stuffed and hung.
crappieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:17 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, i talked to ol ROLAND MARTIN a couple of yrs ago. he is renowned for jig fishing right? well he said this. if the fish hasn't hit after a few (5) mins, don't reel it in, jig it all the way back to the boat. he told me he caught LOTS of bass jsut as he was taking it out of the water to recast. he said jig it till there ain't no line left. honest folks.
Old 04-27-11, 11:56 PM   #29
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Different jig for different situation... Get a heavy 1 ounce grass punchin jig... and with jigs its precision precision precision... the more precise you are with your aim the cleaner it will be on the fall to the bottom (when most strikes happen)... And the biggest mistake a lot of people make is being impatient... Hit that precise spot where you think fish are holding and when it hits the bottom let it sit for 30-40 seconds and watch your line... If you see it twitch set the hook... And if you don't see your line twitch in those first 30-40 seconds while your letting it sit there give it a small twitch and keep it up.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.