Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-11, 01:46 AM   #1
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Smallmouth Fishing help

We have more large mouth bass than smallies here... I know that chartreuse is a key color for them... But I haven't been smallie fishing much... I'm just wondering what you guys know that could help me narrow down my catch to smallies? Depth, colors, presentation, preferred habitat, and the whole nine yards. Its kind of hard when you don't have that many smallie lakes around so I guess I'm looking for advice in how to hone in on them better.
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 07:59 AM   #2
WIKID
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey MACK, As far as depth gose it kind of depends on the time of year and weather condition and then weather you in a river or on a lake. I would say from like may thru the middle of june fish pretty shallow. I like finnese fishing so jigs in black/blue or purple/brown have with a chomper grub tralier have always done well by me, also tubes in some variation of the same colors or a bever bait texas rigged in a purple or green or black/blue or black/red color variation (smallie beaver in the sprayed grass color is my favorite). then again there is always the wacky rigged senkos if you can stand to fish that slow. And then you get into flick shake style worms and of course the power worm ( all in the same colors as mentioned before)

Also as far as cover goes i tend to stick to rocks, wood and docks alot. but you can get them out on deep water points and flats when the water is cold. I am sorta new to fishing this type of structure, but I have caught some good fish tossing a jerkbait and slow rolling spinner baits out over these types of cover.

Hope you found something use full in this, as this is all just my opinion.

GOOD LUCK BUD
WIKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 08:33 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

MACK, if you are in Ludington go north about 10 miles to Hamlin Lake. Smallies are there. Fish the drop offs. Go south to White and Muskegon. Or just look to your west a little and look at Lake Michigan (find rock). You have lakes all around you with smallies. Your best bet is drive 90 miles north to Grand Traverse Bay. I hear that typically around the 4th of July the smallies are up shallow.....
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 01:38 PM   #4
M_A_C_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
MACK, if you are in Ludington go north about 10 miles to Hamlin Lake. Smallies are there. Fish the drop offs. Go south to White and Muskegon. Or just look to your west a little and look at Lake Michigan (find rock). You have lakes all around you with smallies. Your best bet is drive 90 miles north to Grand Traverse Bay. I hear that typically around the 4th of July the smallies are up shallow.....
Yeah Hamlin was the few lakes I was talking about lol... And I meant not many close by... We have alot of good fishing lakes in ludington and penwater and hart but Hamlin is the only one I know of that has a decent amount of smallies... Thanks for the info I'll check them out...
Old 04-28-11, 04:27 PM   #5
coldbasser

Hi M_A_C_K
We fish 5" flukes on jigs a staedy retreave seems to work for us. The color we try to match local bait colors so that changes from lake to lake. 1/8th up to 3/8th size jigs and glue the bait to the jig head.
Regards
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 04:47 PM   #6
M_A_C_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbasser View Post
Hi M_A_C_K
We fish 5" flukes on jigs a staedy retreave seems to work for us. The color we try to match local bait colors so that changes from lake to lake. 1/8th up to 3/8th size jigs and glue the bait to the jig head.
Regards
Coldbasser
What kind of glue do you use?... Cuz I was told clear nail polish, super glue, rubber cemment.... I don't wanna use super glue cuz that would be expensive to keep doing lol... maybee gorilla glue?
Old 04-28-11, 05:15 PM   #7
coldbasser

Try berkley glue should be available where you are if not let me know and I'll get you some.
Berkley Angler's Super Glue is at the The Tackle Warehouse
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 08:29 PM   #8
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

This time of year...Flats with deep water access nearby they like to spawn up on them. As far as baits go I like the strikeking elaz tech for shakyheading, also you might try jerkbaits if the water is below or low to mid 50s. Summer time back off the flats to the deeper water, look for rocky shorelines and/or points/ extended bars/ humps first thing in the am try a popper, continue to use shakyhead, dropshot etc...If you take anything outta this look for anything ROCKY points esp long tapering points at least on my SM waters...dont be scared to go deep
Old 04-28-11, 08:54 PM   #9
M_A_C_K

That's what I was figuring... Smallies tend to go deeper than old bucketmouth from what I've heard and seen.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.