Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-03, 02:22 PM   #1
art_decker
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to art_decker
Default Carpin'

(starting over...) What is everyones favorite bait for these fish? Do they bite right after thaw or only when it warms a little? Catch and release or catch and kill? Basic bass rig ok?

Thanks
(sorry JackL!)
art_decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 02:44 PM   #2
papasan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to papasan
Default Re: Carpin'

I have never fished for carp myself I always fish for the bass, but I have heard that if you use canned corn you can catch them easily. Just put the corn on your hook and you can even chum the water with some of the corn too. I have never caught a carp on a bass rig but I have seen one caught on a jitterbug before.
papasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 02:59 PM   #3
art_decker
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry, I ment to say basic bass setup. Medium or medium/heavy rod type of thing.
Old 04-03-03, 03:58 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

Albee,
Â* Â* Med spinning rigs work fine, or med/hvy if that is all you have. Like Ohio suggested, use canned corn and chum with part of the can to draw them in. The best time I have found is when the water gets a little warmer and you see the carp working the top of the water.
Â* Â* As far as what to do with them, I am in favor of catch and release, even tho they are more of a trash fish. I don't know what part of the country you are from, but a lot of the older African-American people are very glad to get these fish, as they have a way of preparing them that allows the bones to soften and can be eaten like salmon. The Orientals are sometimes partial to these fish also. The carp were originally introduced to this country in the early days as a food source for the Chinese immigrants.
Â* Â* Don't "catch and kill" as this is illegal and can get you a large fine if caught. It also draws flies to the carcas, and is unsightly to see dead fish rotting on the bank. It is better to release or find someone willing to take them for food.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 07:01 PM   #5
art_decker
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL,
I'm from Southern Ontario. Â*The owners of the pond said they used to catch tons of bass until the carp came and thinned them out and made the water really muddy. Â*They asked me to keep them out if I catch them (the carp). Â*Is it still illegal? Â*It's a privately owned pond.
If I were to kill them I wouldn't leave them on the side to decompose. I would put them in a bag or something and take them home and put them in my forest for raccoons or cut them up to use as chum to catch more carp, or as cut bait for catfish.
Old 04-03-03, 07:21 PM   #6
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Albee,
I can't speak for the Canadian Fish & Game department, as far as being illegal in private ponds. If the pond owner advised you not to put them back, then I would abide by thier wishes.
Feeding the racoons would be OK, although I know from experience that the bones stick in cats throats and they strangle.
Using them as cut bait for cats would be a good choice. Another use is if you are planting a garden, cut them into small chunks and work the pieces into the soil as a fertilizer. The Hopi Indians used to put a fish into every hill they planted corn in as fertilizer.
I don't know if there is a recipe on the internet, but a Polish friend says that he pressure cooks them and puts them up in jars, then later makes patties and fries them. He says it is better than salmon patties. If you want the recipe, I will get it for you.

JackL
Old 04-03-03, 07:27 PM   #7

Albee

I think you may be surprised at the taste of these carp if you prepare them properly. They can be easily filleted, which is the preferred way of cleaning by most people these days. Be sure to keep them on ice or at least cool after you catch them as they "soften" quickly.

Slice the fillets into smaller fillets, bread them and either fry or bake them thoroughly.

Bon appetit.

Senior
Old 04-03-03, 07:29 PM   #8
art_decker
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL,
You sure know a lot about history stuff! Â*I can see that chopped-up fish would work well as fertilizer. Â*I appreciate your offer for the recipe, but I don't eat fish from this pond, no matter what type of fish. Â*There is a tree nursury that has a plot of trees kinda near the pond and the often spray it with pesticides and stuff. Some of the runoff goes into the pond (the odd fish as a bump on it). Â*Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-04-03, 08:03 PM   #9
WILD_BILL
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to WILD_BILL

JackL knows so much because he has been around a looooooooooong time.
WILD_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 02:21 AM   #10
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Vince,
I knew it wouldn't take long for the "old fart" bashin' to start.
How's the dog?

JackL
Old 04-22-03, 10:32 PM   #11

carp and gar fishing are my specialties, although i don't think ya'll are talking about that. my favorite way to catch carp is with small bluegills, with a hook through their back, i throw into the current on the hillsborough river and slowly real it in, and i get some nice carp like that, and sometimes gar
Old 11-21-04, 09:56 AM   #12
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Use one cup of chopped carp for each tomato plant you put in....you will be amazed.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 11:03 AM   #13
fishntytyme1027
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishntytyme1027

When I go carp fishin at a canal near my house I use a bait that works for most of the fish in there ive caught striped bass carp catfish and bluegill on it the magical bait is bread with a tiny drop of vannilla extract
fishntytyme1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 05:19 PM   #14
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

mac and why did ya dreggs this old post up?
try stawberry extract.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 10:46 AM   #15
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Just do what I do stick a big arrow threw them. and the best part is it's legal in Canada, and lots of fun the bottom second from the bottom is 61 pounds.

This get all sorts of on lookers!

Â* Â* Robby.[img] Â* Â*http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RADZApUUYMWontoo8kM2AxEDYrJiJoSAjUw5G!Bb4kyiV9sKU VRaTwpHZtEkjyC9B8uO3PfrO!6ozqbM!p6gp2a20wx5h!rJYLA rJ*RWlrQ/Carp.bmp?dc=4675498682284262238 Â* [/img]
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 08:15 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

zilla i use one of the bottle line holders. my lil bro was tring it out smacks a 40+ carp then he locks the brake down. if we were not in only 3 feet of water he would have went swimming. the string bean he is about got snatched off the front of the jon boat.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 11-24-04, 01:35 AM   #17
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

I had a disbeliever on the weight of this carp you see in the second picture.

If you take in relation of the size of my bow ant the arrow is almost three feet long, the weight was taken on a spring scale.

So for a guy that wrote me a little secret message saying it was 20 pounds max " I laugh in your general direction"

Robby.
Old 11-24-04, 03:47 AM   #18
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TonyNucci

So I posted the secret message...

Have a look at this and decide for yourself:
http://<a href="http://www.outdoorcl...?Type=View</a>

Maybe its just a huge optical illusion...
TonyNucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 04:38 AM   #19
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

[img] Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* http://www.outdoorclubs.co.za/Galler...ter/fw0394.jpg Â* Â* Â* Â*[/img]

[img] http://www.outdoorclubs.co.za/Galler...ter/fw0398.jpg Â* [/img]

Why is the top guy's fish 29 pound's and the bottom guys is 27 when the bottom one is clearly bigger?

Is this your optical illusion?

Robby.

I might be thinking one fish is more solid that the other what do you thing oh fishing god? &quot; granted a spring scale is not the best scale but the only one I could find in the area&quot;
Old 11-24-04, 05:31 AM   #20
TonyNucci
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TonyNucci

Hey Robby

If you are from Canada, what are doing up this time of the morning?

They are all nice fish by the way, just dont think that yours is twice as heavy as the 29 pound fish... and then even a spring scale cant be that inaccurate (maybe i should get one because all the bass i catch are so small I weigh them on those diet scales the women use)

If you shoot a 61 pound carp with an arrow here in South Africa, you better tell no-one. You will make the headlines of the local angling magazine as the guy who killed the SA record carp.

Well carp ruined what used to be one of the best bass dams in South Africa about 30km from me so they are not my favourite fish at the moment...

Cheers

TonyNucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 05:02 PM   #21
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Once caught a 17 lb carp on a Pico Perch.
Once caught a 20 lb carp on a Fat Free Guppy
Once caught a carp appx. 10lbs on a spinnerbait
Once fowl hooked a big carp on a Fat Free Guppy
Once caught a big carp on a Rattle-trap
Once hooked a huge carp on a Cordell spot (didn't get him in)
Nothing on jigs, plastic worms or top water baits but I'm still tryin !

Bassnman30
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 08:25 AM   #22
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a buddy of mine shot a carp once it took 2 of us to get it out of the river we weighed it in a feed mill scale it to this day is the biggest carp i have ever seen-he had it mounted-weighed 63lbs 11oz. bioagist said it was close to 50 years old-that i can belive-.

a friend of mine caught a 4 pounder on a crappie jig and 6 pound test on a ul rod.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 01-06-06, 06:51 PM   #23
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mak
a buddy of mine shot a carp once it took 2 of us to get it out of the river we weighed it in a feed mill scale it to this day is the biggest carp i have ever seen-he had it mounted-weighed 63lbs 11oz. bioagist said it was close to 50 years old-that i can belive-.

a friend of mine caught a 4 pounder on a crappie jig and 6 pound test on a ul rod.
good tips on carpin
Old 01-07-06, 12:20 AM   #24
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i use nash hair rigs

and boiles its a dough ball

in different sent
Old 01-10-06, 10:11 AM   #25
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
carp and gar fishing are my specialties, although i don't think ya'll are talking about that. my favorite way to catch carp is with small bluegills, with a hook through their back, i throw into the current on the hillsborough river and slowly real it in, and i get some nice carp like that, and sometimes gar
I agree! Bluegill hooked like that take huge bass, northern pike, and catfish as well. It's the best live bait one can use in the waters where sunfish and bluegill are over-abundant. It's legal in Illinois and Wisconsin if you caught the bait on the same body of water you are fishing it in. Better make sure it's legal in your state.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.